PDA

View Full Version : That bloody ding dong

NoelG
31st Jul 2004, 07:14
Hi All
I've noticed when flying Virgin Blue and other airlines, that shortly after take-off, the Fasten Seat Belt sign is turned off.... and back on again. And, of course, this is accompanied by a ding-dong sound.

What does it mean? One guess is that we can all stop praying, the flying machine is safely airborne..... or perhaps it's part of the pilots' checklist.... or perhaps it is a signal to the cabin staff that they are free to move about the cabin.

I've asked Qantas cabin people and they didn't know.
Anybody help?

Regards
NoelG

BOAC
31st Jul 2004, 07:39
Noel - most airlines use some signal to the c/crew that the pilots consider it safe for them to leave their seats to commence cabin activities - ie no expected turbulence, no malfunctions, etc. Various options are used, seat belts, no smoking signs, PA, call buttons etc.

At least it gives you the opportunity to look forward to buying/getting service (delete where applicable:D )

NoelG
31st Jul 2004, 07:58
Many thanks, BOAC, I thought it had to be some kind of signal to the cabin. I notice Virgin Blue also do the same during let-down.

Interesting to note that you slashed getting/buying service. Virgin Blue (one of Sir Dickie's bright ideas that's winning more friends each day out here in the Antipodes with great fares) gives passengers the opportunity of purchasing on-board grub, etc.

It's a beaut airline operating 737's - mainly 700/800 series and surprisingly for a budget airline, there is good legroom. Happy, friendly staff, too.

Hey, I don't work for Virgin - I just love to fly with them.

Regards
NOELG