PDA

View Full Version : Canadian AME and type ratings acceptation

chilkoot
30th Jul 2004, 22:31
Does anybody know if the Canadian AME M2 licence is accepted anywhere esle than Canada or on Canadian registered airplanes and are the canadian type ratings on Airbus and Boeing recognized anywhere else than Canada?

I would appreciate some feedback

Thanks!

codpiece face
6th Aug 2004, 22:08
can you explain exactly what an m2 licence is, do you have to hold one to work as a non certifying mechanic, as all of the jobs i have looked at in canada seem to require one.

b767jetmec
11th Aug 2004, 14:43
In Canada there is a M1 and M2 rating. M1 is for 12500 pounds and less (5600 kg) and M2 is for 12500 pounds and higher. This is for a mechanical rating, there is also an E rating for avionics.

You don`t need to be licenced to work on aircraft, but then again you can`t sign or release aircraft either and the pay is lower.

codpiece face
20th Aug 2004, 21:11
Thanks for the info, is there also a stuctures licence as i have seen it mentioned somewhere in job adverts.

lazionic
30th Aug 2004, 20:40
yes there is an 'S' (structures) license in canada.

WJman
4th Sep 2004, 16:43
Don't quote me on this, it would have to looked up. I believe a Canadian AME license falls under the category of ICAO type 2. I know this allows us to release certain country's airlines in Canada, KLM,BA,CSA,AF and most US airlines these I know for sure. As for going to another country and releasing aircraft.. The only ones I know of are the middle East and Asia. If anyone has the rules handy please correct me if I'm wrong.

codpiece face
5th Sep 2004, 18:26
As far as i am aware there are no exemptions for sitting the licence if you have a jar66 licence, does anyone know if there are any with an a&p and is it generally recognised in canada.

WJman
5th Sep 2004, 20:10
I know you can sit and write your AME license if for some reason you have dual citizenship and have an A&P but no AME. As for being recognized, Canada and the US have a bilateral agreement, you could realease a Canadian aircraft in the US with an A&P but you could not release it in Canada, and vice versa. Canadian training standards are much strichter as well when it comes to type courses.

chilkoot
8th Sep 2004, 18:03
Thanks for the info WJman. I kind of got the same info on my end about ICAO type II, so it opens a lot more possibilities for outside contract work because I know for a fact that a lot of countries accepts ICAO type II licences. I sould have known this because I was doing Czech Airlines A310 turnarounds for a while in YUL.

Oh by the way, how is Dorval Airport these days. I worked there for 6 years. Kind of miss it a bit too.

Cheers

WJman
8th Sep 2004, 20:05
Well I must know you as I used to do CSA turns in YUL as well. I still see the guys that do the turns now all the time. YUL is changing slowly, starting to look like a modern airport.