PDA

View Full Version : africa or south africa?

policepilot
30th Jul 2004, 17:52
As an ex-pat, I look at the Africa threads often. Now I know that SA is the major source of pilots etc within Africa, but one can't help notice that almost 100% of the stories are about things happening in SA, or from SA pilots flying within Africa on contract and so on.
Do all the Egypian, Kenyan, and of course the 1000's of Russians flying in deepest darkest not have a comment. Granted I've read threads from Kenyan pilots, the odd Gambian,,err, that's it I think. Don't the rest have comments to make about aviation where they are? If a 707 crashes in Kinshasa, or an An12 goes down, or if 176 paxx fall out an Il76, it's a South African that tells the strory.

30th Jul 2004, 18:45
I think the most likely cause of there being no info forthcomming from other pilots in Africa is the fact that internet is not readily available outside of the workplace, and having internet at the office is also not the norm. Secondly, computers are horrendously expensive over there.

We tried to work out the percentage of South Africans who actually have internet access at home and came to about 10% of the population. Roughly speaking....!!!

concordino
30th Jul 2004, 21:38
Although a regular visitor to this section of PPRUNE, i just cannot identify with lots of what is said here.

I am based in North Africa and share as much info when needed with those requiring help.

the fact of South Africans contributing to the African Forum is very understandable, SA is in poll position when it comes to aviation in the old continent.

keep it flowing :ok:

406pilot
1st Aug 2004, 08:33
hi police pilot,

i live and rock in east africa,where theres a computer with internet just about every other house,as far as i am concerned i really see no reason why there shouln't be more columnist from the rest of africa.
i did talk to a few of my mates and they all know about prrune but rather then posting, they prefer reading the news and rumours from pprune,by the way some of them fear that some "big guns" of aviation may be looking at this website and it might lead to costing them their jobs eventually
Although theres normally a lot happening in South Africa most of the time,theres a fair bit going on in the rest of africa aswell

regards

no more a 406pilot

kichwa tembo
7th Aug 2004, 12:08
i share your sentiments police pilot. i can only speak for my part of the world.

i think part of the problem is cultural. where i work for example all the pilots were issued with email addresses on the company domain but most of them hardly use it. some of them started recently only 'coz the boss started issuing newsletters on company performance and bonuses.

part of the problem is hi cost of computers and internet access, but mostly i think the old school pilots in african airlines can't appreciate the relevance of the web in their lives. most would rather discuss the latest real estate or land investments or other things they gain to make money from info on which is not on pprune.they see the internet as simply a means to contact relatives abroad not to learn or share information.

but like all things this will change with time. ther'es a lot of flying practise and culture north of the limpopo and i for one would like to hear more about it on this forum.

policepilot
7th Aug 2004, 12:52
kichwa
Thanks for your response, hopefully this will prompt more comments from north of the Limpopo. Having flown into Wilson and Jomo a number of times, I know there are numerous pilots around,, all trying to talk at the same time. Also trying to get a seat at the internet cafe in downtown Nairobbery can be a waiting game (no I don't want to go on safari!!) so hopefully pilot and computer can merge at some stage and have some input. We obviously understand the difficulty in obtaining computers and internet access in parts of Africa.
Suddenly have the urge to go down to the flying club for a cold beer at Wilson. Safe flying.

B Sousa
7th Aug 2004, 13:42
That Beer wouldnt by any chance be a COLD Tusker with sweat dripping off the bottle. Cant rmember the old bartenders name, but he was a good guy. Stephen?? maybe
I think above posts cover it as a lot of folks north of the Limpopo do not have daily access to puters or just time enough on line to do mail as downloading takes forever and costs as much.
While here in SA I only do stuff during certain hours when things are a bit cheaper. Back in the states I have 24 hour DSL at a flat rate of about R180/mo.
Its a bit warm here in Pretoria today so that Cold Beer sure sounds good.............