PDA

View Full Version : Help with spotting please.

1DC
30th Jul 2004, 17:37
My grandson, aged seven, would like me to take him spotting one day this summer holiday. We live on the east coast and either a drive to LBA or train to MAN is preferred. I would appreciate advice from the experts on which day of the week would be best, and how to get to the best spotting location. The best times to be there would be usefull.
thanks in advance....

Fuel Crossfeed
31st Jul 2004, 12:37
Manchester has a spotters viewing park which you have to pay to get in, not too sure how much.
Concorde is parked up there, also a BAE 146, an old military jet and a Cockpit from a Monarch DC10. There is a spotters shop with books, models etc etc and refreshment stand.
Best days in the summer season would be weekends due to the amount of rotations that airlines have their aircraft working. Most fly out in the mornings then back midday, turnaround in about an hour then head off again.
Hope that helps.

Tommyinyork
31st Jul 2004, 19:31
Ah the good old spotters park, ive never been in but just about seen everything from a Cally L1011.
As for spotting at LBA its best to sit up on a hill with some binoculars, also Teessides not a bad place to spot as well.

arthur harbrow
31st Jul 2004, 19:53
The viewing park at manchester is well worth a visit.It is very reasonably priced and has good facilities, food, tiolets etc.

Tommyinyork
31st Jul 2004, 20:32
It kind of depresses me watching planes taking off i mean you just always think you wish you were there.

1DC
1st Aug 2004, 11:32
Thankyou for your responses, we will go to Manchester. My grandson is going to Australia in December and he has figured out from the timetables that he is going on seven aeroplanes, knows the types and now wants to see them in advance!!

EGAC_Ramper
1st Aug 2004, 12:43
Get em started young!!:ok: Good to see...

chrisellio
1st Aug 2004, 23:33
Manchester is defo the place to go, any day of the week as a young lad just wants to see aircraft and is not bothered which airline it belongs to. Forget Teesside you could wait 2 hours for a movement.

Rhys S. Negative
3rd Aug 2004, 19:34
I agree wholeheartedly with recommending the Manchester Viewing Park. Since you said you'd go by train, it's worth knowing that a bus operates between the terminal and the viewing park. I'd suggest you check on days & times of operation - I think it is only at weekends and Bank holidays.

Have a look on
www.ringwayreports.co.uk (http://www.ringwayreports.co.uk)

The only thing against it is that there is very little shelter if the weather turns bad.

Rhys.