PDA

View Full Version : Great pic

ashjames
30th Jul 2004, 14:44
ive got a great pic to post but can't enter it as it isn't my own, but i thought you might want to see it any way
http://faketrix.com/content/aviation/1024/apache-helicopter.jpg

P.s i dont know if it will come out as this is my first pic post

PPRUNE FAN#1
30th Jul 2004, 16:12
Yeah, great pic.

It's a painting.

Tiger_mate
30th Jul 2004, 22:12
It is a lithograph painting by the US artist Dru Blair and subject to copyright. He would not thank you for stealing it.

RDRickster
30th Jul 2004, 23:18
Since his signature is shown in the lower right, I don't think it was hidden. Print number is also present.

blave
31st Jul 2004, 01:53
I want one!

(the helicopter, not the print)

Dave Blevins

ashjames
31st Jul 2004, 14:06
whoops :O didnt notice that gotta go now and kill my freind for telling me to post it

SilsoeSid
31st Jul 2004, 15:23
Ash,

I shouldn't worry too much, that pic is used in every Army Aviation related powerpoint presentation going.
I have even been present where it has been claimed by the presenter that he did it himself with Photoshop. Also there was the guy who said it was him flying it. :rolleyes:

At least you have had the decency to say it wasn't your own.

As the copyright notice at the above site says;
"Protected under copyright and international treaties. No portion of this web site or the files contained therein may be obtained for other than personal non-commercial use nor may they be reproduced or otherwise redistributed. Violations will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law and may result in severe civil and criminal penalties. All other copyrights and products mentioned on The Art of Technology are the property of their respective companies. "

IMHO, I don't think you fall foul of anything.
It was for personal non-commercial use.
You haven't reproduced it, or redistributed, only linked to it. (PPRuNE has reproduced and distributed it :ooh:)

No doubt others choose to differ! (here we go :zzz: )

Happy posting,
SS

Heliport
1st Aug 2004, 08:50
Whether or not Sid's interpretation is correct, I don't see any difference between this and quotes from copyrighted written material which often appear. eg Quotes from manuals/textbooks posted by contributors in support of their argument in a discussion, news items from newspaper/tv websites (which I frequently post myself.)

If the artist complains, I'll remove the thread from Rotorheads - but I'd also ensure neither he nor his work are ever given any publicity in any Pprune forum under any circumstances.

Heliport

Spot 4
1st Aug 2004, 09:42
It is our policy that links that blatantly advertise a site which offers items for sale is against the rules you all signed to uphold when you registered on PPRuNe. So PLEASE do not do it.

As I said earlier today. The new server has now been installed by Danny at an expense most of us could not, or would not, countenance so that everyone who uses gets it for free! We need the revenue from advertising to maintain the site and while I readily accept that you all have a deep interest in Aviation History we just cannot allow putting up links to those sites. If the owners of those sites want to advertise the existence of their sites they can get a quote to have them displayed on PPRuNe.

If you Google with the right inputs, you can find any number of interesting sites that will offers their wares at a price.

Please! No more links. I do as a rule log those who do this often, and then I have an option to deprive them of PPRuNe, something I dislike doing. But............the policy has to be observed so I ask you to think about it before you press the SUBMIT button to post.

The photo and link look pretty much like an advertising link to me FWIW One of my photos is in an MOD Royal Air Force publication despite a copyright notice on its webpage.

Genghis the Engineer
1st Aug 2004, 13:32
Trick is to ask, in my experience you virtually never get refused.

For example, I found recently some stunning historical photos of early Northrop aircraft that were exactly what I needed for an academic paper. They, unsurprisingly were on Northrop Grumman's website. So, I sent an Email, and within 24 hours had a very polite reply saying that so long as it was not for any commercial purpose, I was most welcome - and yes, they would appreciate my adding a "reproduced courtesy of Northrop Grumman Corporation" in the margin.

This has been my universal experience - people only get upset if you don't ask.

G

Heliport
1st Aug 2004, 17:04
There are frequently breaches of copyright on this and other PPRune forums. If a copyright owner complains, I remove. It's happened once and that was a complaint by someone who was disgruntled when he didn't get his own way in other forums.

Whoever posted what some people regard as an 'advertising' link to the artist's website has now removed it. I didn't.

Spot 4
Thank you, but Pedalstop and I moderate Rotorheads and we make our own judgments in each case. A blanket rule can sometimes operate too harshly. We use our discretion based on the particular facts.
eg A link posted by a photographer, artist or any other commercial enterprise to their own website would of course be removed.

Heliport
Rotorheads Mod and Forums SuperMod.