PDA

View Full Version : Massed Helicopter Approach

Tony Chambers
30th Jul 2004, 14:34
Having had the great privelage of flying in the Middle Wallop Massed Approach on several occasions, i would love to see this spectacular event happen again. Unfortunately Middle Wallop dont hold the airshow anymore. Are there any heli pilots out there who would like to a} see the massed approach happen again, b} take part in the massed approach?
i am looking for interested parties who are civil, private, mil, hems. asu, etc. I have some contacts, enough for me to get the enquiries and hopefully the ball rolling but i need more pilots to be interested to get a sizeable approach.
Date and Location will be decided if i get enough interested but will be some time in 2005.
Thanks fellow pruners for your input.

SilsoeSid
30th Jul 2004, 14:54
a. Yes, always an impressive sight.

b. I don't think the people of the West Mids would be too happy to see their Helicopter used in such an event and not having such an asset to the force available when serviceable. (don't know how other forces would feel about that though, or the HEMS charities for that matter either.)

I'd gladly participate flying someone elses a/c :ok:

Banjo
30th Jul 2004, 16:39
How about at the next helidays in Weston-super-mare? Could collect behind the bay and mass approach the beach. Plenty of Military stuff there to participate also. Contact E.App Rees at the international helicopter museum W-S-M and float the idea with him.

30th Jul 2004, 17:22
Tony, if you have been in the Middle Wallop 'massed crash' you will know that you can't just turn up and do it - it needs practise and lots of it. It also needs organisation and briefing by someone who knows what close formation (and I mean close formation) is all about. Usually it ends up as a line abreast hover taxy (frequently downwind) down to the hover from 200 feet - normally between 1/2 and 1 rotor span from your neighbours. There is not a lot of room for error and I know lots of pilots who have had very narrow escapes during the practises. I have participated several times in both Lynx and Gazelle and it always concentrates the mind wonderfully being in close formation with up to 100 other helicopters - the bar is usually well attended afterwards!

KENNYR
30th Jul 2004, 18:52
Took part in the very first massed suicide attempt at middle wallop in '86, led by the venerable Frank Esson. It was practiced constantly for days. The end result was spectacular although I am sure that some aircrew underwear were changed frequently during the event:D Crab, I believe that it was 1/2 rotor diameter separation for the Gazelles.........scary, no matter what the separation!!!

SASless
30th Jul 2004, 19:51
Ah Heck...it is much simpler than that...have a few hooligans take a couple of pot shots at the US Embassy....lock a few pub doors late at night...swear to force the Yanks being held to drink warm beer and watch end to end Coronation Street episodes....why in no time you could have a mass formation from the 101st Airborne overhead.....for free...why they would probably pay landing fees.;)

Fortyodd
31st Jul 2004, 00:17
Took part in the 1994 massed approach. Never felt so uncomfortable in a Helicopter before or since - not going there again.

helidriver
31st Jul 2004, 23:04
Flew a Gazelle in the 1998 and 2000 (last one) MW airshow. I have a great pic of me flying in Air Forces Monthly magazine double spread on p 69 (Nov 2000 issue).

Certainly concentrates the mind and one can't have enough practises to ensure a "safe" display. IMHO i'm surprised we never had an accident. I don't know which was worse, trying to fly higher than the a/c next to you to avoid recirc or watching the ripple effect as a/c are jockeying for space and praying the a/c next to you moves as you do! One of my Lynx mates actually popped out the bottom after being squeezed out of the formation! I swear my blades over lapped on some of practises- underpants were like the starting grid of Brands Hatch!

Although it looks great hovering with 100 helos, in the avoid curve, contending with recirc 1/2 to 1 rotor span is asking for trouble! :eek:

gizmocat
1st Aug 2004, 01:05
Happened last night at Wallop. Massed approach with 20 aircraft including 5 Lynx and 3 Apache. Very impressive. Music in the Air display. Great evening. (Eagles didn't do much though:( )

Capn Notarious
1st Aug 2004, 09:21
NOW THE BIG QUESTION, IS THERE A PROFFESSIONAL VIDEO OF THE MASSED APPROACH. Had to shout that due to noise of massed helicopters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!