PDA

View Full Version : Celtic helicopter impounded at Galway

ppheli
30th Jul 2004, 04:47
From a newspaper in Eire on Thursday...

A helicopter owned by Celtic Helicopters Ltd which landed at Galway airport on Tuesday afternoon to collect passengers from an incoming flight and bring them to the Galway races was refused clearance to leave, the High Court was told late yesterday.
Mr Roddy Horan, for the company, was given leave to serve notice on the airport authority of its intention to seek an injunction today directing the release of the helicopter.

Ms Justice Laffoy was told that a letter was written on behalf of the company to the airport authority yesterday saying that, due to a dispute over navigational charges, the helicopter was refused clearance to leave. It was stated that Celtic Helicopters has been disputing the validity of the E13,000 navigational charges being claimed.

It was stated that the company was willing to put its solicitors in funds to the amount of E13,000 which they would hold, or lodge in court, pending the resolution of the navigational charges dispute.

The helicopter was still being held, which was extremely damaging to the company, it said.

alouette
1st Aug 2004, 20:41
That wouldn't have been good, especially for the customer. Imagine the crew not receiving the clearance, aircraft impounded, and then explain the entire morass to the client. I would be sinking into the ground, and wish I wouldn't be there. :ouch:

Vfrpilotpb
3rd Aug 2004, 16:58
Very difficult to see through muddy water folks, there is some history here, and it seems certain people may have exceeded their authority in grounding the Bird, I think it best to wait and see what the outcom is, it could be interesting by all accounts!!
Vfr:ooh:

James Roc
4th Aug 2004, 00:27
The reason being that Galway airport is not only charging landing fees but is also attempting to charge anyone flying into their airspace, which Celtic are refusing to pay on principal!

Jimbo1
4th Aug 2004, 11:08
Can anyone confirm that they have payed these so called "Nav Charges"??

If any one has any helpful comments please contact Celtic Helicopters Ltd

James Roc
4th Aug 2004, 16:51
I don't know of any heli operators who have paid up, I reckon most refuse to like me. I did get stiffed before by Cork airport for a "Take off" fee in addition to the landing fee when I didn't know better! People get away with what they are allowed to get away with!

whatsarunway
4th Aug 2004, 17:33
what gets me is that they charged us for a vfr navigation fee
(they dont have radar or a vor ) we were half way through the galway atz and they said , tower is unmanned for twenty minutes , contact shannnon!

Also they charge by the weight of the aircraft , how much you disturb the air i guess!

never paid it . never will.

:ok:

Hedski
4th Aug 2004, 22:03
This link may shed some additional light on the subject for non Irish pruners.

http://www.flyinginireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=236

Pay particular attention to the charge for late opening for the SAR heli. Outrageous. :mad:
Are departure charges legal for VFR flights, Ireland, UK or anywhere else?

alouette
5th Aug 2004, 20:12
Having grown up in Central Europe as well as learned to fly there years ago I had to make the painful experience of getting charged horrendous air traffic/navigation charges. If at least the facilities would be proper with the optional courtesy but nothing has improved (where i am from). Actually people gotten snottier. It seems as General Aviation is a nuisance to most of them.

I heard folks bitch and whine about the U.S. of A. but tell ya all the truth, the FAA with all its snags is better off than this newly jungle of fees to keep the paper/desk jockeys alive. I hope i was not too vulgar. :mad:

RDRickster
5th Aug 2004, 21:38
Wow, reading this makes me glad I fly in the USA. Most airports (if I have to land at an airport) don't have landing fees, unless they are a bit larger. Even the airports that charge landing fees usually waive them if you buy fuel. Passenger fees? Navigation fees? Departure fees?... never heard of them.

The FAA can be obstructionary at times, but at least we don't get over taxed, over regulated, and over restricted to death. Of course, 73% of all General Aviation flight hours are flown in the U.S. (see website below). As a result, we have a stronger voice and force within the aviation community. I count my blessings that a slob like me can get in the cockpit of a helicopter, mainly because it is affordable for the average person.

http://www.gaservingamerica.com/World.htm

Post 9/11, we have a fair amount of stupidity. Most security measures, like many of the ADIZ (Air Defense Identification Zones) don't work and are really window dressing to make the public feel better. Most TFR's will probably be permanent.

Then you have the occassional jackass politician, like New York Senator Charles Schumer, who wants a permanent restriction around New York... during an election year, of course. On the other side, you have manipulative politician's, like John Kerry, who removed any and all TFR's around his campaign route to carry favor among voters that he's the people's candidate (with his BILLION dollar wife, who is an extreme elitist).

Woa... I digress. Anyway, I'm just glad I can fly here and wish that my brothers across the pond had it a little easier.

Jimbo1
10th Aug 2004, 11:14
I hear that Galway Airport are STILL charging nav fees. Dont no of anyone who actually paid them

headsethair
10th Aug 2004, 16:21
Have been told by the Galway bandits that the charge is levied on aircraft passing through their airspace at a rate of two-thirds of the landing fee. If you land, the charge is not levied.

Sounds highly Euro-illegal to me. And there was definitely an air of "not my area" when I asked for the information - got passed from Ops to ATC to some other bod who said "you'll have to ask our airport manager and he's not here today."