PDA

View Full Version : Average experience of Direct Entry Second Officers.

Northern_Driver
29th Jul 2004, 16:44
Hi all,

I just received an invitation to the interview(Direct Entry Second Officer). My question is what kind of experience people normally have when they join as Direct Entry SO.

Cathay have been my goal for years and now finally i have a chance, I keep thinking this still is the fastest way to a proper airline job and to the right seat of a widebody equipment. My experience is 4000TT, 1000 in medium size bizjets, 1500 in medium size turboprops etc.

What sort of experience did you have when you joined them as SO and how long did it take to get the upgrade to a Junior First Officer rank and above?

N_D

Altyre
29th Jul 2004, 16:58
Hi ND
I've also just been called for an interview for SO, I'm a captain on the Embraer 145 for a european airline, 4500 hours, 1500 PIC on jet and I'm 29 (if this is relevant!)

Northern_Driver
29th Jul 2004, 17:06
Thanks for the reply, Good to hear. I just turned 30 and flying also the left seat (Falcon-2000) I have the interview in sept. in Paris-It took me four years to get it:ooh: I am looking forward to it:p

N_D

Altyre
30th Jul 2004, 05:41
It's funny, I don't know how they select their candidates, I only applied last October and hadn't updated my file yet. Is your selection in Paris?

Yeager
30th Jul 2004, 15:43
Congrats guysīnīgals,

3000TT. 1200T TurboProb GA (BE20/1900) and 1600T Airline/Commuter TurboProp (20K+ KGs).

See u around
Yeager

jtr
30th Jul 2004, 23:23
I cannot tell you what the "average" is, but you are certainly in the right vicinity as far as weight for age goes.
I have seen people join with 800 hrs piston (mostly single) through to those with 8000 hrs of which a large proportion is jet.

If they invite you for an interview, they are obviously interested.

Capt. J
31st Jul 2004, 05:37
Hello,

May I please ask how they would know about you and have your details? Do you send them an application form when you start your flying lessons to let them know you're interested in joining CX? Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Capt. J

JTR - Do pilots with 800 hrs really get to join CX if they're interested in you? So in short, this means that you can join CX from D/E without the minimum requirements if they're interested in you? Thanks in Advanced.

Zoltan
31st Jul 2004, 06:23
Hi guys,

I recently applied to Cathay via their website, I received a letter from them stating the minimum requirements as:

1. Minimum 1000hrs. ( Turbine experience a bonus )

2. P1 rating on a twin ( Turbine again a bonus)

3. Frozen ATPL

4. Age not noted, only in accordance with experience (whatever
that means)

I now of a guy who started this year with 1700hrs TT ans some on turbine (B200 & 1900)

Suppose as always , right place at the right time, if youre a low timer and their looking for crew.

Hope this helps

Fly safe

Bubblewrap

Capt. J
31st Jul 2004, 08:15
Hi Zoltan,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I think that's the case what you've said. Right place at the right time, if you have low hours and they're looking for a crew then you're in luck. If not you'll have to work very hard :rolleyes:

About the 1000 minimum hours, I heard it was actually 3000, is this true?

Many Thanks,

Capt. J

404 Titan
31st Jul 2004, 12:01
The minimum requirements for Direct Entry Second Officer applicants are:

· A current ICAO Airline Transport Pilot License or a Commercial Pilot License (obtained without exemptions) with a pass in all ATPL ground examinations
· A valid multi-engine instrument rating
· A minimum of 1,000 hours fixed wing (preference is given to applicants with turbine or multi-engine experience)
· Experience commensurate with age
· Able to satisfy Hong Kong aviation medical requirements
· Fluent spoken & written English.

As has been stated before, CX is generally only interviewing applicants with more than 3000 hours and turbine experience. It is purely supply and demand. Currently we have about 20000 applications on file. Naturally those with the most experience will get a look at before those with low experience. 1000 hours is the minimum experience that we will accept an application from you. If you are hoping for an interview and you are on file and you have more than 3000 hours and turbine experience, you are in the running. Tomorrow we may find fewer pilots around. When this happens, those with low hours will get a look in.

Capt. J
31st Jul 2004, 12:34
What condition is CX in at the moment? Are they low on pilots? Thanks

Kind Regards,

Capt. J

asiadreams
7th Aug 2004, 08:34
I've got 3000hrs on 737s S/O interview soon.

Good to hear every one's comments on experience levels.

grrowler
12th Aug 2004, 01:35
Capt J,
Currently we have about 20000 applications on file. I don't think so pal, maybe they'll have worked their way through them by the time you get your license :E :ok:

Northern_Driver
13th Aug 2004, 14:32
Good to hear about the different experience levels. All the best for the interview, maybe we get to eat some sharkfin soup in the future

N_D:ok:

Capt. J
13th Aug 2004, 23:20
grrowler, thanks for the reply. Greatly appreciated.

Hopefully, like you said by the time I am ready they would've made their way through :D but I'm ready for the hard work incase it doesn't go the way I planned :ok:

anibalb
17th Aug 2004, 16:25
Hi guys
I applied to Cathay via their website, they emailed me to clarify some of the data and last week I got a letter from them with a personalised aplication form. I will be mailing it back this week.
Do you know if it means I may get an interview soon? For the record, I have 1500 hs of single engine piston time so I think my chances are lower than Iīd like. Still I donīt lose hope.

Anibal

Left Wing
18th Aug 2004, 02:44
No ! This is just to keep you on file, real TT is 3000+ with some turbine and jet time. As the sim check is on a 747 CX does not waste time or money on pure piston pilots.

This is the real truth, I am in same boat as you.

404 Titan
18th Aug 2004, 03:20
Left Wing
As the sim check is on a 747 CX does not waste time or money on pure piston pilots.
That isn’t totally true. I got in a number of years ago with only piston time, mind you I did have a s**t load of piston time and twin time. Supply and demand dictates what they look at. At present time they are looking only at candidates with 3000+ hours and turbine or considerable twin time.

Left Wing
18th Aug 2004, 04:54
Thks Titan ! As you said supply and demand.

anibalb
20th Aug 2004, 13:28
Thanks left wing. Itīs good to have that data. And if they actually call me soon it will be better than waiting for a call that will probably not happen.

WaldoPepper
25th Aug 2004, 06:53
I can confirm with Titan. I used to work for the college in Adelaide who do the direct entry second officer finesse training. I was quite frequently training guys with only 1500 hr TT. That was 4 yrs ago though, and it has changed as Left Wing said.

I had a 2nd interview in June, just for your info I have just over 5000 TT, 2200 Turbine Co-pilot.

Don't be dismayed though, the tide can turn fast, and soon the pool of the more highly experienced guys will dry up.

Keep updating every 3 months or so...It makes a difference, that was what I was told during the interview.

Good Luck

WP

Capt. J
25th Aug 2004, 07:25
I recently sent an email to Cathay Pacific asking them about direct entry for a S/O position. In my email, I stated:

Is it possible for an applicant with less than 3000 hours TT to get accepted into Cathay Pacific for a Second Officer? Thank you

The reply I got was:

Under the current criteria, no. I cann't see the criteria changing in the foreseeable future. :{

Capt. J