PDA

View Full Version : RAF Throckmorton - History?

newswatcher
29th Jul 2004, 12:17
Saw Throckmorton airfield on a recent UK Channel 4 "Time Team" programme. Can't seem to find any historical info about it. Most searches come up with DEFRA burial site and Chan 4 programme hits. Was it called RAF Throckmorton? When did it close as an RAF base?

All answers appreciated.

Spiney Norman
29th Jul 2004, 13:02
Newswatcher.
Is this Throckmorton Worcestershire? In which case I think we're talking about RAF Pershore. Pershore opened in June 1934 as the Worcestershire Flying School but was taken over by the RAF and developed for service use, opening in February 1941. First unit was 23 OTU, (Wellingtons). The OTU, along with many other training units took part in a number of raids, Essen, Bremen, and Dusseldorf featuring. Crews trained at Pershore were mainly Canadians who would go on to the rapidly growing RCAF bomber effort developing from mainly Yorkshire bases. There is a large Canadian war graves section at Worcester Cemetry which stand testament to the many losses from training accidents which occured in and around Pershore during this period. As the war situation approached it's conclusion the need for bomber crews began to decline and the unit was disbanded on March 15th 1944. No.1 Ferry Unit was established at Pershore following the disbandment of 23 OTU. It's task being overseas ferrying and collection of multi-engined aircraft. This unit continued to operate until 1948 when it was replaced by 10 AFU with Airspeed Oxford's. 10 AFU disbanded in 1953 and in 1957 the Royal Radar Establishment Flying Unit moved in from Defford. The airfield closed for flying in 1978 but is a HIRTA and laser site which, (I think) is the property of Qinetiq, the privatised MOD (PE).
Of course, if I've got the wrong Throckmorton I've just wasted your time! Sorry!

Spiney

sharpshot
30th Jul 2004, 10:11
Interesting read!

It is Pershore and to say it is closed........I never bet on that for certain.

After the military reduced its activities, Morgan Crucible operated a corporate Jetstream from there.

It now has Qinetiq signs around the fence. Took an aerial photo overhead last winter and the runways actually look in fantastic condition, although a public road crosses one of them.

If you check AIC's you will see a recent one detailing the use of Lasers and to remain clear.

Interesting place;)

newswatcher
30th Jul 2004, 11:27
Thanks spiney, that looks like the right one. I was lulled into a false state by the programme references to the ex-RAF airfield at Throckmorton! Looks as though it had quite a long runway, at one time.

matspart3
30th Jul 2004, 14:28
Landed there about 3 years ago, on top secret Qinetiq business, before they filled it with dead cattle

Spiney Norman
30th Jul 2004, 18:36
True to say, you never know with closed aerodromes! Anything could be lurking in a shed ready to emerge on a nice weekend! Re the size of the airfield. I've only got info on the layout from WW2 and it's quite possible that there may have been post war extention work to allow jet useage. I must say that the ordnance survey seems to show the airfield as originally built. Here we go......22/04. 2000ydsx50yds. 27/09.1500x50yds. 34/16. 1400x50 yds. Surfaces Concrete and Asphalt. 1x Type J hangar. 4xT2. 31 dispersal hardstandings. Base Personnel 1937 RAF. 412 WAAF. (So they certainly wouldn't have had to buy any drinks then)! I seem to remember a recent TV programme were an ex Army guy from Northern Ireland built various quasi military things. A stealth boat sticks in the memory!! Can't remember his name but he had the sort of moustache you could hide a car in!Anyway, believe that this was filmed in and around the tower on Pershore, his workshop was the old fire station. The runways featured greatly and still looked in very good condition. I used to work with an ex-pilot instructor who flew from Pershore. He told me that he used to love being re-called when a weather deterioration occurred. The station R/T callsign requiring the call, "All Firkin aircraft return to base"!

Spiney