PDA

View Full Version : Engineering Solutions - Radio 4

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jul 2004, 10:48
This has nothing to do with aeronautics, but caught my imagination.

Listening to BBC Radio 4 this morning, I caught the first episode of a new series called "Engineering Solutions", presented by Adam Hart-Davis. It's nothing to do with aeronautics, they were talking about the technology behind tunnelling the new Channel Tunnel rail link - including 120m long drilling machines, with a crew of 14, commanded by a former airline captain!.

As a presentation of high quality, safety critical engineering at it's best, I found it absolutely fascinating. Presumably they'll repeat it at some point, but I've checked and it's already on the BBC's website at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml , and I'd strongly recommend it to any engineer who can spare half an hour.

G

time-ex
30th Jul 2004, 23:15
I couldn't agree more - this program was advertised well in advance and it encouraged me to listen. I think someone at the BEEB should be congratulated for their imagination. If further programs are as good they should be worth a listen.

Paul Wilson
4th Aug 2004, 09:03
Interestingly my dad worked for the company that supplied the air compressors that the tunnel drilling machines used. Two in each machine, both able to do the job by themselves, which was a good thing, as the sales guys hadn't had the engineering guys take a close look at where the compressors were to be mounted. :uhoh: The air compressors were totally innacessable once the drilling machine started, and had to work for over a year non-stop. They only realised when they sent a guy to service them. Cue much frantic looking at the contract, and then much crossing of fingers when the size of penalty clause bacame apparant.

Bottom line was if both compressors failed, thay would have had to dismantle the whole drilling machine.

ukeng
4th Aug 2004, 17:39
Good find that one Genghis, 'tis on again tomorrow but not sure what the subject is this time.
Nice one :)