PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Atlantic Operations

Somedaymaybe
29th Jul 2004, 08:50
Hi All

I have been looking furiously for months now about vacancies within the operations department at Virgin, however i can never find anything out.

Does anyone by chance have a contact or email for the operations department.

Thankyou:ok:

pigsdofly
29th Jul 2004, 16:04
Out of curiosity why have you been 'furiously' looking for jobs with Virgin other than any other company?
Most of their work is longhaul and I know that I may upset a few people here but Long haul is the majority of the time tedious. Yes, when things go wrong they do so on a fairly large scale but there's not much you're going to be responsible for when sitting in the Ops department.
Virgin do also run their own flight planning department. This is where the fun begins. Creating flight plans for aircraft whilst airbourne due to whatever the problem (there are loads to consider) Looking at the weather (Ops do look but don't really worry) and actually take the conditions in to account, ie, Upper winds en-route, looking for that optimum jet stream, fog/low cloud at destination therefore plan fuel for alternates based on either commercial or fuel reasons.
So, apart from the fringe benefits and the regular wings ceremonies at the Office (assuming they're still held there) think to yourself "Is the grass always greener on the other side?":cool:

Leezyjet
29th Jul 2004, 21:45
Most ops jobs tend to be advertised internally only.

:)

Opssys
31st Jul 2004, 08:55
Virgin Operations, does not seem to have any measurable turnover of staff. Although any such position would initially have to be advertised internally, I believe the appointments that have been made in the past were eventually filled externally.

airchabum
2nd Aug 2004, 23:07
Somedaymaybe

Don't hold your breath! There is very little staff turnover within the Ops dept. I started here in 2000 and since then we've only employed 2 non-VS people in Ops/Flight Planning, plus 2 or 3 who were recruited internally. Crewing however is a different kettle of fish....

Cheers

crewing_stress
9th Aug 2004, 13:30
Why is Virgin Crewing "...a different kettle of fish"??:confused:

airchabum
12th Aug 2004, 15:03
Crewing_stress

I was attepting to imply that staff turnover is a lot higher in Crewing than in the other depts, but didn't go into detail as the original poster seemed to be more interested in Ops vacancies.

Cheers