PDA

View Full Version : Hervey Bay Airport Upgrade

Wirraway
29th Jul 2004, 06:41
Thurs "Courier Mail"

Hervey Bay Airport Upgrade

HERVEY Bay Airport will undergo an $11 million extension and upgrade so it can take Boeing 737 aircraft operating from capital cities. At present, visitors to the bay and nearby Fraser Island have to fly from Brisbane on small twin- engine aircraft.

But Hervey Bay City Council is discussing the introduction of jet services with Virgin Blue and Jetstar airlines.

A council spokesman said extending the runway and construction of a new runway would be completed by the end of next year.

The project was aimed at promoting the Fraser Coast as a major tourism destination for national and international visitors.

Local residents and businesspeople would benefit by access to cheaper airfares and national airlines with direct flights to capital cities.

"An average of three flights per weeks have been predicted to service the market in the medium term," the spokesman said.

There would be minimal impact through increased traffic and noise.

"The noise level of a Boeing 737 is only three decibels higher than the Short 360 aircraft that now operate," the spokesman said.

The council considered the development was the most important capital infrastructure project the city had undertaken. Significantly for ratepayers, there would be no need for external borrowings to cover the cost.

==========================================

Time Bomb Ted
29th Jul 2004, 11:30
You beaudy......

I love the place. Thank God some local councils have a bit of foresight. Well done Hervey Bay/Pialba council, you are a beacon to other councils around the country.

Apologies to Hempy for my appalling grammar.

Mr Wright
29th Jul 2004, 21:30
I wonder if the upgrade will be sufficient to take the weight of 737-700 or 737-800 (A320)? Places like YBMC cannot accept more than a couple of arrivals per week of the heavier 737 variant. I wonder if the pavement concession will be lifted to allow them to operate all the time, otherwise the A320 won't be able to operate either??:8