PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking a USA mobile/cell phone

brandedcentaur
28th Jul 2004, 18:30
Hello, This is my first post. I know it is not strictly an internet or computer problem but it IS "technical"!

I have unlocked Nokia phones here in the UK without difficulty. I bought my girlfriend a Nokia 3360 in the USA and I am trying to unlock it.

My first problem is, I don't know what UK model is equivelent to a 3360.

My second problem is - I can't find the IMEI code (usually accessed by keying in "*#06#" (without the quotes) onto the keypad.

Any help would be gratefully received as I am looking more than a little silly for buying her a phone she can't use (AT&T don't cover her area, hence the need to unlock her phone).

Thanks guys - emails to: [email protected] if yu think you have the answer! :)

spork
28th Jul 2004, 23:57
I’m not an expert but, firstly, I think the unlock (*#) codes are for GSM phones, not TDMA phones, which the 3360 is? Secondly, assuming I’ve got the right model, the 3360 can't be unlocked, as it doesn't use a simcard. As far as I know, you can take it to a UK provider and they'll register it for you onto their system. I suspect that’s done via PC and data cable.

timmcat
31st Jul 2004, 17:33
Looks like Spork is correct. See this (http://unlockme.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=526&highlight=3360) thread from a well respected site.

BRL
1st Aug 2004, 17:27
Anyone know how to unlock a 7650 on the Orange network?. I have a brand-spanking-new phone so gave my mate the old one. He cannot use his sim card in it and we don't want to pay for someone to unlock it. So, anyone know how its done? :confused:

Keef
1st Aug 2004, 22:10
Don't know specifically for the 7650, but you need a cable and the software to unlock most of 'em.

Try uk.telecom.mobile or uk.adverts.telecom.mobile and you may find someone round your way who will do it for token amount.

Or see if you can pick up a cheap Orange SIM.

timmcat
2nd Aug 2004, 12:59
BRL - the site linked in my post above should sort it for you.

BRL
2nd Aug 2004, 14:30
Thanks chaps.

Tim, I don't really have the time to go to the other site. I had a quick look last night but see you needed to register so I left it. Just wondered if there was a way via the infra red on the phone or something like that.

Cheers.

ORAC
2nd Aug 2004, 16:18
£7.50 (https://svr41.ehostpros.com/~unlock41/softwareorder.php)

spork
2nd Aug 2004, 22:49
Software and equipment to unlock phones is also competitively available on ebay.