PDA

View Full Version : ops job could be the answer

Harvester
28th Jul 2004, 14:42
Guys and Gals.

Just a quick note to all those low hour pilots looking for a way in to the industry.

I got all my qualifications at the end of August 2002 and inititially did pretty poor jobs (the usual bar work etc) to keep myself free and flexible while I slammed out CV'S. After realising this was getting me nowhere I got a job as an ops officer for a smallish airline based near Gatwick. Bad sides are the hours and the work in general sorting out everyone elses problems but the bonuses are you get reasonably well paid, you will generally be on a 4 on 4 off roster, you learn an enourmous amount about the aviation industry and most importantly you are talking to all the right people. It's also good experience to put on a CV and to answer all the difficult responsibility type questions in long winded app. forms. As long as you perform well and don't balls things up too badly I reckon this route is an excellent way into the right hand seat although I know if you've been looking for a while a year spent in ops may not be an option.

Hope this advice helps for anyone toying with ideas at the moment. I have just stuck in there and things seem to finally be looking on the up for my flying career start.

Cheers

Harvester

onthebuses
28th Jul 2004, 15:12
Harvester,

Check your PM's

OTB:ok:

EXPO
28th Jul 2004, 18:36
Deffo the way forward guys, as someone recently said to me it is the longest interview you will ever have, but it will pay of in the end.

I speant two years at a medium sized airline based near Gatwick and was offered the possibility of employment in the upcoming winter, however like so many things offers then came like busses.

I now work for a large Charter Airline on the A320.

But my year in ops was priceless, especially the contacts i made!

:ok: :ok: :ok:

rodquiman
29th Jul 2004, 09:22
I wish getting into OPS were so easy. I am just trying and getting the same succes as in the flying job: None.:uhoh:

MAX
29th Jul 2004, 11:26
Good advice. I got my first right hand seat job on a jet after working in ops. Great way to meet people and network as well as dealing with the chief pilot every day. I suggest you target the smaller companies eg: Corporate.

MAX:cool:

benhurr
29th Jul 2004, 19:19
Harvester...

Do you mean holding point Victor or Ops for career progression?

benhurr

Harvester
30th Jul 2004, 08:50
All I'll say is time well spent. It's made me a better pilot in the long run on both accounts!

Fuel Crossfeed
30th Jul 2004, 14:55
Definitely a good way to meet contacts and to learn about the airline industry, airways route structures throughout europe, etops planning, and how to deal with late tugs, passengers and catering!!
I worked in ops for over five years, whilst getting my license, but I did notice there was an "us and them (pilots)" attituded.
Getting into ops can be pretty difficult as well. Ops managers opinion could be why should I waste time and money training up someone who is going to leave for the first flying job that comes along.
If you can get into it go for it.

ZK-DAN
31st Jul 2004, 07:12
I have to agree with you guy's. I'm in a similar situation,with about 500hrs total time, and now working in flight op's for an airline in NZ. Definitely the right place to meet the right people, especially in NZ where the industry is so small. Excellent money and 4 on/4 off leaves plenty of time to do a bit of instructing on the side to keep those hours ticking over. :ok:

scroggs
31st Jul 2004, 12:42
Excel have an ad in this week's Flight for ops and crewing officers.

Scroggs

Penguina
4th Aug 2004, 11:46
Last time I looked into this option, with a view to doing something useful while working towards ATPL writtens and hour building, most companies suggested that the way in was through either check-in desk or ramp/dispatch-type jobs first. I vowed to get a driving licence and then go for dispatch, as I have done much, much more than my fair share of thankless customer-facing!

This thread seems to suggest that it's possible to go straight into ops and learn on the job, which would be fantastic. Is it the fATPL, and knowledge that comes with it, that makes the difference? It would seem hard to persuade a potential boss that one is not interested in flying for a living and spent all that money on one's licence because one fancied the challenge... :)