PDA

View Full Version : Visual Acuity

sywell-flyer
28th Jul 2004, 11:25
Hi,

I'm stuggling to get my head around how visual acuity works. From what I can tell I think that my eyes are very good but I'm not sure as I have work glasses in the past for reading.

The scrawl on my prescription says:

Distance Acuity (Left) 6/4.5
Distance Acuity (Right) 6/4.5

Near Acuity (Left) NS
Near Acuity (Right) NS

From what I can glean on the web 6/4.5 is better than 6/6?

I think that means that they are very good or slightly bad depending on whether I have understood it right...I can't tell! Any suggestions?

Thanks, in advance,

Sywell-Flyer

Pilot16
28th Jul 2004, 11:38
There is nothing to worry about.

6/6 is normal vision. The 6/6 line on a distant chart means you should be able to read that line 6 metres away if you have 'normal' vision. Your vision is 6/4.5 which is slightly better then 6/6. This means you can read a line on the chart which a person with 'normal' vision would have to stand 4.5 metres to read.

Both of your eyes have good visual acuity.

Your near vision acuity: You are able to read N5 print (note: not NS). This means you can read fine prints at a near point.

You should be able to pass the Class 1 visual standard in this regard provided your lens power does not exceed +/-5D and your eyes are not anisometropic (differences in lense power required in the two eyes) by no more then 2D. You did not mention the lens prescription in your post so I cant tell.

Any more questions feel free to ask. Thats what PPrune is all about.
Hope I helped.

Regards,
P16

sywell-flyer
28th Jul 2004, 11:47
Thanks for the reply... for some reason my eyes seem to be improving!

Again, the scrawl is hard to read but it looks like:

Left sphere: 0.50
Right sphere: 0.50

no other figures though.

Although a test a couple of years ago shows:

Left sphere: +3.00
Right sphere: +1.25
Left Cylinder: D5
Right Cylinder: -0.25
Right Axis: 110

Thanks again, in advance...

Sywell-flyer

Flyin'Dutch'
28th Jul 2004, 12:05
SF,

P16 is on the money with his answer.

Gauging from the change in prescription you are likely to be of a tender age as when you get older the eye axis elongates.

Therefore your refractive error gets smaller when you are longsighted or bigger if you are shortsighted. That is until you stop growing so most people's refractive error remains fairly stable after they turn 18'sh.

HTH

FD

PS: What happened to the Sywell thread?

sywell-flyer
28th Jul 2004, 12:23
Dutch,

Re Medical Thread:

Thanks for the info. I think I used to have an astigmatism but haven't heard it mentioned at all during the past couple of eye checks. So all good by the sound of it! The only thing that I do know I have is a posvitreous detachment in both eyes but from what I have read on the forums this wouldn't present any kind of problem.

Re: Sywell Thread

I was getting the impression that I had started something that could cause me problems in the future and was getting very negative feedback from most and suspicion from some so I decided it was best to pull it. People seemed to be getting the wrong impression of me because of it. Not the best solution I know but with some of the comments being put forward better than any others I could think of.

Sorry if it caused any confusion.

Thanks again!

Ben

Flyin'Dutch'
28th Jul 2004, 12:33
Ben,

From what you read I can not see any significant Astigmatism in your prescription.

F

PS Check your PMs