PDA

View Full Version : A330 questions

dghob
28th Jul 2004, 10:52
On a recent QF flight from Brisbane to Melbourne I had the opportunity to reflect on a couple of things about the A330 that someone with some knowledge of the aircraft might be able to comment on for me.

Firstly I have always found the A330 somewhat quieter than any other aircraft I've flown in, and that covers all jet types from Boeing & Airbus. My question is: Is the quietness a function of the hull shape and finish causing less slipstream noise (if that's what you call it)? Is it lower engine noise? Is it the hull insulation?

Second, while still some distance (maybe 5 minutesor even more) from touchdown, the A330 appears to me to be flown with a more pronounced nose up trim, and retains that angle til touchdown, ie, without a noticeable flare procedure. Is this the case or I am I imagining it?

I'd be interested to see some comment on these things.

Cheers
dghob

BusBoy
29th Jul 2004, 22:08
Noise
A330 cockpit noise level less that 320 (due reroute of vent ducts) or even 321. very quiet but not sure why so much more than a 74, 75 or 76 (Comments about Atlantic Glider excepted)

Attitude
At Flap 1 the NUA changes to around +8 to +10 degrees (LE devices only) which then reduces as TE flaps extend on Flap 2 selection.
The flare seems to be very little, just a tweak or 2-3 degrees but perhaps this explains my landings.

Hope helps

dghob
29th Jul 2004, 23:26
Cheers BusBoy. Have a good day.
dghob