PDA

View Full Version : AA and Charging for Refreshments

ShamRoc
28th Jul 2004, 09:39
Mrs S and I are taking a packagage tour to the US before the gates are closed.
It is not our choice but our carrier will be AA from LHR. I am sure that I read recently that in "coach" AA charge for drinks. Is this true? Should we take a picnic hamper? Do they charge for anything else, headsets etc?

WHBM
28th Jul 2004, 18:08
It's strange, but this one seemingly minor change finally led me to desert my long-time use of AA, and my AAdvantage membership, for BA.

Pluses for AA were MRTC, an ability to always get a window seat reserved, the internal US connecting network, often better fares, and the chance to count how many times they have to say in a gravitas voice "At this time" over the PA before the doors are closed.

BA pluses were much more welcoming FAs and other staff, better meals, and 747s. Now the drinks charging has tipped the scales. It's not as if I even drink much, it's just - principle I suppose, and a feeling of not bein really wanted. By the way, AA FA's can get snitty if you don't use US Dollars for drinks, even on the westbound flight.

Globaliser
17th Aug 2004, 18:17
WHBM: It's not as if I even drink much, it's just - principle I suppose, and a feeling of not bein really wanted.Same goes for free food and drink on flights. Why do people complain so much when they're taken away, even though the food is often not good and the drinks don't cost much? It's because offering some refreshment is a mark of hospitality everywhere - and it has a symbolic significance well beyond its practical value, or cost.

ABird747
17th Aug 2004, 20:32
how many times they have to say in a gravitas voice "At this time" over the PA before the doors are closed.

Ha ha ha! I hate that too, it REALLY grates on my nerves!

It's such an unecessary phrase and should be BANNED from the English language!

WHBM
17th Aug 2004, 20:37
Quite so, Globaliser. I visit a large number of business customers in their offices and a few, a very few nowadays, still charge at vending machines for tea/coffee. And apart from the difficulty of searching for the often pitifully small amounts of coinage to pay for this, it's something that says "cheapskate company" overall. And you don't feel welcomed. Not hospitable.

It is strange because Americans as individuals are some of the most hospitable people I know. Why do they leave it all behind with their air carriers ?

christep
18th Aug 2004, 03:37
I'm not sure whether headsets are free in International Coach on AA, but they certainly are NOT free on domestic coach if you have any connecting flights.

DistantRumble
18th Aug 2004, 15:58
all you do is keep the headset in your baggage until the end of the connecting, then give it back if you're honest.

PAXboy
18th Aug 2004, 17:14
"At this time" It's such an unecessary phrase and should be BANNED from the English language! I agree. One hears it on an, almost, day to day basis. :yuk:

Whilst some may find no basis in my irritation, I can assure them that, on a week by week basis, this tortology is causing me to pull my hair out. :ouch: I know, I know, this is what JB is for. :rolleyes:

-------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

seacue
19th Aug 2004, 05:12
The last time I rode AA (domestic - January 2004) they sold you the headsets. They were then yours to take away and bring back for any subsequent (AA) flights.

cargoflyer
19th Aug 2004, 09:29
Try and remember George Carlin`s "Airline Announcements" and compare it to the current aviation world in the "USofA"... you will detected "only some" similarity between "then" & "now"..
:E :8

In case you don`t know `em yet..
just click here and enjoy the "show" (http://www.bloopbloopbloop.com/3bloop/comedy/GeorgeCarlin-AirlineAnnouncements.mp3)

AtlPax
20th Aug 2004, 07:22
cargoflyer that one from George Carlin is definitely a classic. :cool:

Well, just an observation from an American born and bred, there seem to be a lot of - ahhh - creative interpretations these days as to what precisely "customer service" really is.

Or maybe I should say - convenient interpretations? :ouch:

spiney
22nd Aug 2004, 00:26
Got no problem with an Airline charging for drinks etc., but when AA, on a full-up flight in the Carribbean, charge you six bucks for a minature of vodka and few ice cubes, you've got to be thinking, there must be a better way...

towers00
22nd Aug 2004, 02:09
must say i enjoy flying aa,however i always fly 1st class to the states,they are very accomodating when it comes to up grading cabin crew from other airlines.ive never had to even show my id,once they notice on there computer screens that you are crew they are most helpful,especially from heathrow.straight to the lounge then onto there 12 seated 1st class section,often than not your be one of about 5 to be sitted in the section.funny enough they seem to upgrade ..
vx more than ba.
NOW I WONDER WHY THAT IS
answers on a postcard.
im certainly not complaining:ok: :ok:

towers00 - Staff Travel is a priviledge, not a right, even when positioning on company duty. Coming into a forum populated by people who pay their way, and then boasting about your perks is tactless, thoughtless and inconsiderate. Frankly, I also doubt the accuracy of everything that you claim. I don't believe that your attitude and comments accurately reflect those held by other airline professionals, many of whom have a rather greater depth of experience than your 5 years at a regional airport.

Your post is discourteous to other users of this forum, who are by and large, a highly experienced group of airline customers. The only reason that I have left your post visible, is that it allows these users to fully undrestand what a complete :mad::mad::mad::mad: you are.

Connex
25th Aug 2004, 16:04
Towers00..

check your PM's.

Connex
25th Aug 2004, 21:16
TightSlot,

check your PM's

rgds

Connex

PPRuNe Radar
25th Aug 2004, 21:57
Most staff travel or 'interline' schemes will have some strict rules on the conduct of the traveller.

For example:

''Agreements with airlines must not be jeopardised by having members with concessionary tickets exerting pressure on check-in staff, flight crew, or operations staff for favourable treatment.''

and

''Staff travellers must not reveal to revenue passengers that they are travelling on a rebated ticket.''