PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

willow_79
27th Jul 2004, 18:41
Hi Peeps!

After achiving my PPL 4 yrs ago, I have not flown since.

Unfortunately I got myself in to a bit of debt (which I imagine most self sponsored people do) and had to go back to work to pay it off.

Now i'm working in a dead end office job (really depressing), not going anywhere and PPL fading away from me.

As I say it's been 4 yrs since I last flew and feel my confidence to fly an aircraft again has now gone.

I also rent a house with my g/friend, so there is no chance of me being able to pay for any further courses, what with this and loan!

I have looked really hard in to sponsorship as financial assistance would help, but no one is interested in me as I lack the required acadamic qualifications.

I don't have a backup plan as there is nothing else in the world I want to do other than fly. (even if it means flying rubber dog**** out of Hong Kong) i'd do it, to build up my hours.ha!

I'm not looking for your sympathies, just advice and no slagging off please!

Ta!

28th Jul 2004, 18:15
Read your other post, willow.

I thought you were 'highly motivated' and an 'excellent pilot'?

In you position, you have got to ditch pretty much everything if you want to succeed.

My 'advice' to you would be to start saving, as you're running the risk of being too old for sponsorship by going out and getting some academic qualifications that would make you applicable.

With loan repayments, rent, council tax, bills, girlfriend who likes shopping etc, you're already looking at an uphill struggle from the word go.

You need to streamline your finances, get yourself a medical, buy yourself some ATPL manuals and get your head in some books, so at least you're being productive during the time you're waiting for the cash to trickle in.

The cheapest way you're going to get there is doing the Instructor route. Get your IMC / hour build as cheap as you can (USA, or volunteer your services to a gliding club (get your face known)), get your writtens passed, then look at the CPL and Instructors rating.

This will take you time and effort, but it's the best way you're going to get a foot on the ladder.

You're wanting to join an industry that is fierce in competition for sponsorship/jobs/promotion etc, so you need to start thinking with the same mentality.

Think positive, there's no quick-fix and , like I said in my last post to you; The industry does not owe you a living!

Chin Up mate.....

razzele
31st Jul 2004, 23:10
do your atpl's distance learning some cheap schools out there...nac yup nacgs springs to mind (1000gbp or so)

book your hourbulding with a super cheap american school upto your 95 pic required for cpl... fly over with airtours bookedway in advance with your tent to pitch on airfields, debenair are cheap!! (4000gbp)

do your cpl over there anyone of those cheap schools..(3000gbp)

then save for the expensive of a multi-engine instument in england say 12000gbp.. triple A is triple expensive but rumoured to have the most dedicated instructors available in UK.

then the tick in the box MCC for 2000 grand at some school in europe.

then :}

roll on down to sign on at your local job centre like the rest of us !!

Obs cop
1st Aug 2004, 08:52
Willow,

The first 2 steps are as cheap as you can get in the flying world but are vital.

Firstly, your PPL is valid for 5 years, but it is a damn sight easier to get current within that 5 years than outside of it. I would suggest you sell the dog, carpets, get a cheaper car, whatever, but keep your PPL going. Without that first step you might as well give up now. Moreover, a few hours with an instructor will rebuild your confidence, such that you may start to enjoy flying again.

Secondly, the best £400 you will ever spend is to get your class 1 medical. You cannot fly commercially without it and you need to know you can get it.

Be realistic about your route into aviation. I heard a few years ago that there were 47000 applicants for BA's cadetship with only 100 places. Now there are even fewer sponsorships, the odds are even worse. By all means, chase them (I did exectly that for 5 years until I became too old at 28, and got close, last stage for BA, 2nd to last stage for British Midland, but never quite made it).

Distance learning ATPL exems can take between 9 months and 18 months for most people and you can start them with just your PPL. That should keep you occupied for a while and you can look at means of funding your hours building in the mean time. Your funding options really fall into 3 catagories.

1. Stop wasting money renting, buy a house, let your investment grow for 1 to 2 years and then re-mortgage to free up some capital.

2. Borrow the money, only realistic in your position if you buy a house and secure any loan against it.

3. Save like a thing posessed. For Christmas and birthdays ask for money. Sell anything you don't need (amazing what you can get for stuff on Ebay!) and budget on what you do. Give up golf and windsurfing, because you can't afford to have hobbies that expensive and pursue you dream. If you can get overtime, even in a job you hate, do it and put the money aside immediately.

You then have a few options you can chase. If you can raise the cash to do hours building and potentially CPL in the US then do so. It will save a lot of money. C152's go for around £35 per hour I think. Your 100 hours PIC for the CPL would cost you £3500 plus flights and cost of living in the states or £10000 over here.

Alternatively, get down to your local flying club and have a chat to them. See if they need a hand at the weekends maybe staffing the ops desk, cleaning aircraft, whatever, but make sure you get involved and demonstrate your passion for the aircraft. Your long term reward could be anything from cheap aircraft hire to a job, part time or even full time. If you don't ask you won't get.

Regards

Obs cop