PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon IOC

ORAC
27th Jul 2004, 18:36
Now I presume this was just someone being ultra, ultra cautious......

AWST - July 19th:Crawl, Walk, Run, Fight:

"The Typhoon will be declared operational first in the AD role. While the date remains classified, this was previously understood to have been intended for 2006, with 6 aircraft declared to NATO in the AD role. This date has slipped. The ministry will comment only that the aircraft will enter service during the second half of this decade..." :ooh:

Archimedes
27th Jul 2004, 20:27
Interestingly, Aircraft Illustrated (and others before it) have confidently stated that the IOC was due to be 1 Jan 06. This was based on the assumption that the OEU would start flying in June 02. Instead, this slipped to December 03.

Assuming that the programme is running 18 months behind that schedule, it'd seem that the IOC would now be something like 1 June 07. I'd guess that it's been decided to stop talking about dates (EF 2000, anyone?) to avoid any more embarrassment. Also, if the positive noises we're hearing about the aircraft are accurate, I suppose it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that some of this slippage might be made up. In which case, announcing that IOC has slipped to 1 June 07, and then having to announce it's been achieved some time before would just add more egg to faces?

Ghostflyer
28th Jul 2004, 09:34
18 months? I was only in my EF job for 2 1/2 years and FOC slipped 3. I always loved it when BAe came along and said if you let us defer the difficult stuff (Radar, IRST etc); you'll get more capability earlier. I think they meant the ILS.

Blame me, I don't care anymore.

Ghost:zzz:

Tarnished
28th Jul 2004, 22:16
If it was easy everybody would be doing it, wouldn't they?

Piggies
28th Jul 2004, 22:34
But it has no ILS, only MLS; useful for the long-haul flights into Heathrow:rolleyes:

Ghostflyer
29th Jul 2004, 07:25
Pigz,

Nah, they originally contracted for MLS but eventually realised it was as much use as t*ts on a frog without any ground stations so they were trying to replace it with ILS.

:zzz:

Tarnished
29th Jul 2004, 21:38
Actually its getting a MMR (Multi Mode Receiver) with ILS, MLS and even DGPS