PDA

View Full Version : Un-readable CD-RW

FoxCharlie
27th Jul 2004, 14:30
Hope someone out there will be able to help with this...

I have a CD-RW which has a mixture of photographs and word files on it. It was burnt using Nero 6, my PC has been reformatted since the disc was created, and now I can't retrieve the data.

Any ideas...anyone??????

Help!!!!

:confused: :{ :confused: :(

Thanks in advance

FC

BOAC
27th Jul 2004, 15:00
FoxCharlie - 3 questions and THEN someone MAY be able to help:-

1) What is your OS?
2) What do you mean by 'PC re-formatted'?
3) Can you read or even 'see' the CDRom drive (with a different CD)?

FoxCharlie
27th Jul 2004, 15:15
Answers to your questions...

My PC was completely wiped clean and windows etc re-loaded.
My OS is XP professional edition

erm not quite sure what you mean by your third question..
When i put the disc in question in to my machine, it seems to be trying to read the data on there, but then stops.
I have used the drive to read other discs without a problem so I know it isn't the CDrom drive at fault.

Thanks

FC

pilot-lite
27th Jul 2004, 15:28
If the CD was originally written using a packet-writing format (UDF, InCD, DirectCD, etc) this may be the cause of your troubles.

Google for "UDF Nero" and see what you can turn up...

pilot-lite

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Jul 2004, 17:19
FoxCharlie,

Question #3 is asking whether your CD Drive shows up in your Windows Explorer and if you put another CD in the drive, you can see it.

Also, try another CD-RW (same brand, etc. if you have) into the CD Drive and see if it is recognized or not.

Take Care,

Richard

Spitoon
27th Jul 2004, 22:56
Have you tried it in another machine? If it can be read in another computer copy the data off the CD and move it somehow back to your own machine or onto another CD.

FoxCharlie
28th Jul 2004, 09:12
The CD-rom can be seen on windows explorer... Other discs work fine.

Another disc was burnt at the same time as the one in question, that one is fine, and I have copied that data from that disc with no problems at all.

The disc in question can't be read by any machine that I have tried it in, (a friends and my work computer).

Thanks for your answers so far...

FC

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th Jul 2004, 12:54
FoxCharlie,

It sounds like a bad burn. Did any computer ever read that CD?

Take Care,

Richard

FoxCharlie
28th Jul 2004, 18:39
Naples Air centre Inc...

The CD was checked before the PC was wiped, it was fine...only since it was reformatted did the problems begin...

Ta

FC

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th Jul 2004, 19:38
FoxCharlie,

I guess it is possible that the CD was damaged or since it was a CD-RW and not a CD-R, it could have been reformatted.

I would try installing the same program you used to encode it, since it might have an ASPI Driver needed to read it. (Just a guess.)

Did you use Encryption on the CD?

Take Care,

Richard