View Full Version : easyJet AXES!!!

Simon Lumley
27th Jul 2004, 14:20
easyJet are to axe the following routes from this winter:

Nottingham East Midlands - Venice (Marco Polo)

Bristol - Bilbao

Bristol - Copenhagen

But I've just heard from a colleague that easyJet are imminently about to launch 3 new routes from Nottingham East Midlands for this winter. These will no doubt be:

Barcelona, Berlin-Shonefeld and Copenhagen

brabazon
27th Jul 2004, 14:36
Is this "fact" or "rumour" - I thought someone had dismissed the idea of BRS-CPH being dropped as it was showing good loads?

What's the truth and will the BRS routes be replaced?

Simon Lumley
27th Jul 2004, 14:59
These route withdrawals by easyJet are FACT. They are no longer on sale from this winter.

easyJet are replacing the services out of Bristol with Rome and Geneva. The Geneva route will be operated with Bristol's aircraft and not easyJet's A319s in Geneva.

Cheers.

egnxema
27th Jul 2004, 15:06
Simon - be careful with your facts!

If you are quoting from easyJet.com you will no doubt have noticed that Luton only has about 5 routes on sale for winter.

easy have not yet released all of their winter flights for sale.

The show ain't over yet son.

Let's wait and see ay!!

simonwa
27th Jul 2004, 17:08
Bit of conflicting info... If they are cancelling BRS-CPH, why would they start NEMA-CPH?? Also, why are they going to do NEMA-BCN, when they cancelled that route earlier this year???
Coincidently, what will happen to the NCL-CPH route? (It's the only one not on sale yet from NCL). But then again none of the CPH routes are on sale yet.

terrier21
27th Jul 2004, 18:30
BRS/CPH and BRS/BIO being replaced by ARE being replaced by BRS/MCO and BRS/BUD from 31st OCT and will start operating BRS/GVA from DEC 16th

MerchantVenturer
27th Jul 2004, 19:39
I can understand BRS-BIO being withdrawn. It was a strange choice from the start in my opinion and the only other two easyJet routes to BIO are from STN and LGW. CAA stats show BRS-BIO most months averaging around 105 pax (around 70% loading). I am surprised that the figure is that high because I cannot see the attraction of Bilbao as a high density route from a regional UK airport.

BRS-CPH is different. CAA stats show the monthly loads building with an average of 116 for June (80%). Unless CPH is to be abandoned as an easy destination altogether I will be very surprised if only BRS-CPH is dropped. I can't see Rome or Budapest being more attractive destinations, especially in the winter. In fact, Go Fly tried Rome from Bristol in its first season and it was one of only two routes they subsequently dropped, albeit they did not give it long to settle down (two months).

Mr @ Spotty M
27th Jul 2004, 21:17
terrier21.
I do hope you mean FCO and not MCO, or the 1st April picture of the 747 might be true.

egnxema
28th Jul 2004, 07:42
Even FCO should be CIA don't you think?

colegate
28th Jul 2004, 08:56
Does anyone out there know how many and which 733's Easy will be releasing from ytheir fleet this winter?

kick the tires
28th Jul 2004, 12:22
What ARE you lot going on about????

Fancy wasting everyones time with all this dribble when you cant even get the IATA codes right???

egnxema
28th Jul 2004, 13:19
Kick.

The right codes would be......?????

brabazon
28th Jul 2004, 13:27
Kick

A possible mis-typing of a three letter code - is that any worse than mis-spelling "wasteing".?

Anyway it's as (if not more) interesting to know about the dropping of routes as the announcement of new ones, so let's get back to the topic!

surely not
28th Jul 2004, 13:59
A simple typo of the three letter code? Must remember to be so forgiving next time my bag goes to MCO instead of FCO or MXP!!!

If people are going to put info on here re routes starting or dropping then they should at least get the route codes right otherwise the whole post is even more c$ap. I can cope with deciphering peoples poor spelling but guessing which code they meant to use is a different matter!

kick the tires
28th Jul 2004, 14:01
brabazon, typo corrected! A shame your rumouring is not as precise!

brabazon
28th Jul 2004, 15:11
Not my rumour, but Simon Lumley's.

Anyway let's see what develops in LCC land in the next 24 hours.

MerchantVenturer
28th Jul 2004, 21:00
The mystery deepens because I have just checked easyJet's winter timetable and there is the need for a further based a/c at Bristol to fulfil it, making seven a/c.

There are seven weekday early morning departures from BRS between 0630 and 0750, viz.

O630 AGP
0640 ALC
0700 EDI
0710 GLA
0720 BUD
0730 NCE (M W F)/0650 PMI (Tu Th)
0750 PRG

These are all 'out and back' routes operated by BRS a/c (unless of course the unlikely scenario takes place that easyJet flies in an empty a/c very early each morning from somewhere else to operate one of the flights listed above). There are other earlyish morning departures to BFS and NCL as well but these are operated by BFS and NCL based a/c operating the inbound (to BRS) sectors first.

So, if there is to be a seventh a/c at BRS what will it do for the rest of the day if CPH and BIO are axed? AMS has been returned to one rotation a day from the summer two and NCE and PMI 'share' a week, when previously NCE was flown every day, summer and winter.

Omark44
28th Jul 2004, 23:08
Could the GLA and EDI departures in fact be night-stoppers that are normally based elsewhere?

LoGo
29th Jul 2004, 01:16
Unlikely as night stopping aircraft (and crews) isn't very low cost. Shame, cos room parties can be a riot.

Getting back to EMA, Lumley's rumour doesn't add up as the three aircraft currently based are fully utilised. Dropping VCE (very good loads so a bit surprising if it did happen) but adding three others would have to require another aircraft. But, it wouldn't be fully utilised unless another route or rotation to a current destination were added.

The plot thickens.

ps BCN was dropped in favour of giving the slot to the newly opened Dortmund base. Loads were very high so it would be no surprise to see that re-established from EMA.

bmibaby.com
29th Jul 2004, 09:59
According to a senior crew member friend of mine based at NEMA, the airport is high on the list to have the 737-300s replaced with brand new A319s, and rumour has it this could come as early as November this year, but it all seems to be rumours at the minute.

Simon Lumley
29th Jul 2004, 11:25
Easyjet have also axed Newcastle-Copenhagen for this winter. No doubt it is being replaced with Budapest.

redfield
29th Jul 2004, 16:29
Lets stop arguing pointlessly about spelling errors for Pete's sake! If you want to do that go to the Play School website. Back to the topic at hand: BRS-BIO dropped (I heard originally that it would be replaced by BRS-MAD?) as of October 30th. BRS-CIA and BRS-BUD both start October 31st, BUD departs 0720, CIA at around 1630. BRS-GVA starts December 15th. Other rumours include BRS to MUC, CGN and Ljubljana. I don't know the three letter code for Ljubljana so I'm not risking getting it wrong!:O

Dick_Nice_But_Thick
29th Jul 2004, 17:17
It's LJU :8

For other IATA code queries, try this link -

www.iata.org/codes/index

Scottie
29th Jul 2004, 17:45
I see in the winter timetable that the second EDI-AMS rotation is being discontinued.

kick the tires
29th Jul 2004, 22:28
Scottie - your point is.......................?

Scottie
29th Jul 2004, 22:31
I'd have thought the point was obvious, that easyJet are halving the EDI-AMS-EDI route by 50%.

The thread is entitled "easyJet AXES". Well my original post has to do with easyJet and that they are taking an axe to the EDI-AMS-EDI route by reducing it by 50%.

Please PM me should you require further clarification :E

witchdoctor
30th Jul 2004, 08:44
NCL-CPH has not been axed at all from the winter timetable - it is still awaiting confirmation. Budapest will not replace it, as this route (along with Geneva and Rome) will be served by a sixth based a/c over the winter.

Kev 1
30th Jul 2004, 09:40
Hi,

Believe that the Geneva route will replace the Copenhagen im afraid, looking at the flight times. All other a/c are busy and at the mo the CPH route Departs at 17.30 and returns at 21.40. Believe (though not confirmed) that the CPH will continue until 17/12 at these times, when the GVA will replace this route (ETD17.40 ETA 22.20). So it does look like NCL is losing the CPH route, though for how long.............

Cheers

Kev

10 DME ARC
30th Jul 2004, 09:45
Well said Witchdoctor!

Lots of assumption's going on, just after the 23rd's release of seats I got an e-mail from easy saying that "only just over half the winter seats had been released"! None released since so........ Mind you I have heard regional BIO flights were being pruned!

Kev

Work throu the whole NCL program, there\'s still a slot for another rotation, ifs its not CPH well its some where else as I cannot see Easy having an a/c sitting at NCL from 1240 to 1630!

Also still gaps in the program before GVA starts!
:)

Kev 1
30th Jul 2004, 10:14
10 DME ARC

I see you're point about the A/C not being used for a large proportion of the day, though this does not appear to be enough time to get to CPH and back:

ETA 12.40 STN
ETD 13.10 ???

ETA 16.00 ???
ETD 16.30 NCE

Now this only leaves 2hrs 50 mins for the flight to go somewhere turn around and get back again. So giving the turnaround time of 25/30mins thats about 1hr 10mins en route if a flight is planned, so I would presume it would be another UK flight? LTN perhaps??

Also think that only just over half of the winter seats have been released as they havent released Luton or Stansted and these two airports will most likely take up the lions share of the remaining flights to be released by EZY.

Cheers

Kev

10 DME ARC
30th Jul 2004, 10:30
Kev

See you're point, so unless we see some times changing, very unlikely, expect something else!

CPH has been on/off over the last few weeks, last we heard it was on???

10 D
:confused:

johnwalton
30th Jul 2004, 12:03
Does EasyJet have a crew base at CPH?

MerchantVenturer
30th Jul 2004, 12:14
easy only fly to CPH from BRS, NCL, STN and SXF, using aircraft based at those locations.

It might be that easy are to pull all their CPH routes. At various times in the past month on this forum rumours have abounded that the BRS, NCL and SXF routes are to go. Not heard anything about the STN route though.

One wonders why easyJet just don't make an announcement. I know one or two people who use the BRS-CPH route regularly and they would want to think about alternative arrangements if the winter route is pulled.

Kev 1
30th Jul 2004, 12:31
Well the Berlin(SXF) to CPH route timetable is available to view online for this coming winter season:

Berlin Schoenefeld - Copenhagen - winter

Mo-Su 4507 19:50 20:50

Copenhagen to Berlin Schoenefeld

Mo-Su 4508 21:15 22:20

so it doesnt look like a complete pull out of CPH at least.

Cheers

LoGo
30th Jul 2004, 12:43
The reason for the (temporary) withdrawal from the VCE route is obviousl The hours freed up by not operating to VCE during the afternoon will allow the free Airbus to carry out Base Training for the EMA crews! :ok:

ghost-rider
30th Jul 2004, 13:44
But LoGo, we'll be sending it to LTN for base trg ! ;)

LoGo
30th Jul 2004, 14:57
That's not what I've heard :)

Much easier to re-equip a small base :cool:

ghost-rider
30th Jul 2004, 15:02
I see your logic but we have announced major expansion (ish) at LTN ! :{ :ugh: :uhoh:

LoGo
30th Jul 2004, 17:06
Excellent - you'll be needing our knackered smelly old 300's then :p

ghost-rider
30th Jul 2004, 17:30
No chance !!! You can keep 'em !! :) They give me nothing but headaches !

Anything with an 'Oscar' on it should be sold as scrap immediately !! :p

To be honest though, we've no idea yet as to what's happening with W04.

It makes me laugh reading all the posts here re what's canned and what isn't as the full schedule hasn't even been officially published !

And we've just recently received revison 6 of S04 ! So chances of the initial W04 being accurate are minimal !!

CAP670
31st Jul 2004, 08:03
EZY is also to drop LTN - ZRH for the same reason it dropped LGW - ZRH (allegedly excessive charges at ZRH).

Instead, it's going to serve Basle (or 'Basel') from LTN (as well as from STN) beginning Autumn 2004.

Type unknown but probably Luton-based -300s as the availability of engineering at LTN is helpful in keeping these high mileage models serviceable (APUs excepted...).

Other three 'mystery' destinations ex. LTN still to be announced - maybe two will be Dublin and Milan/Bergamo just to smack MoL in the face for having the cheek to encroach on easyLand...?

:ok:

MerchantVenturer
31st Jul 2004, 10:02
The CPH winter routes have now been released by easyJet and according to their web timetable only STN-CPH and SXF-CPH (this one already mentioned by Kev 1) remain for the winter. BRS-CPH and NCL-CPH do appear to have been dropped.

The BIO winter routes have also been released and both BRS-BIO and LGW-BIO appear to have been dropped leaving only STN-BIO.

A great shame IMO that BRS-CPH and NCL-CPH have been dropped as the past few months have shown that there is undoubtedly a market for these routes. I wonder if Flybe would consider stepping in with their slightly smaller aircraft.

kick the tires
31st Jul 2004, 10:31
Dont you think its really sad that so many people are dedicating so much of their time discussing the up coming program for CPH???

Get a life guys

MerchantVenturer
31st Jul 2004, 10:50
kick the tyres

Probably no sadder than people who read it, and you appear to have done so to have made the comment.

My son has used the BRS-CPH connection several times since its inception for business and would have continued to do so. Now he will have to go to London or Birmingham again just to catch the aeroplane.

That's why I made the comment earlier that if easyJet were going to drop the route it would be helpful to regular travellers to give them plenty of notice so that they can think about alternatives.

EKCH2730
31st Jul 2004, 13:15
kick the tires – actually some of us have interest in what’s going on here at CPH!

Lot of rumours and statements about Easyjet and CPH at the moment on the www – will be interesting to see what’s going to happen in the end…

As late as Monday this week there where an article in Borsen (the largest business newspaper in Denmark) about LoCo’s. In this article the Easyjet spokeswomen in Denmark, Christina Schärfe, came with the statement that Easyjet plans to increase their business at Copenhagen Airport. But as we all know things can change very quickly…

Cheers
EKCH2730
Copenhagen

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
2nd Aug 2004, 11:26
CAP670 - has the demise of the Luton - Zurich route been officially announced please?

CAP670
2nd Aug 2004, 13:17
Not as far as I'm aware - currently in the forward planning stage but presumably, tickets will not be available for flights after the end date, whenever that is.

;)

Sheikh_Yerbootee
2nd Aug 2004, 19:16
Just wait and see the new routes, they should be released any day now. Zurich hasnt been officially culled yet but is as good as.

MerchantVenturer
4th Aug 2004, 13:01
easyJet have announced the following new routes to be commenced on the dates shown against them (from the easyJet website).

London Luton to Bratislava 8 December 2004

London Luton to Turin 13 October 2004

Berlin Schönefeld to Bratislava 25 November 2004

London Stansted to Valencia 3 November 2004

London Stansted to Almeria 11 November 2004

Bristol to Madrid 31 October 2004

Furthermore, the BRS-CPH and NCL-CPH routes will remain in operation for the first part of the winter schedule until the second week of December, when the new Geneva services kick in.

The_Bean_Counter
4th Aug 2004, 13:17
Sheikh

What is happening with the Rome and Venice routes, they have not announced them as new routes but they are on sale from Gatwick and not from Stansted. Are they going to do both ?

Rgds

Beany

Doug the Head
4th Aug 2004, 13:51
I keep on hearing strong rumours about EZY opening a base in Basel, as troubled Swiss International Air Lines is threatning to pull out of Basel. Supposedly with TopSwiss (EZY Switzerland) crews and aircraft.

simonwa
4th Aug 2004, 15:49
Shame about NCL-CPH going to stop in december. Does anyone think it'll be reinstated next summer?? Will GVA be a year-round op?

Just noticed that NCL-BFS has increased to 3x on weekdays (from 2x).

Will MAD be introduced at NCL, as the new routes being introduced at NCL and BRS are the same lately?

Sheikh_Yerbootee
4th Aug 2004, 15:52
Hi Bean Counter - the italian routes that you mention have been transferred from stansted to gatwick. Not sure why it hasnt been announced as a transfer but with so much activity going on, perhaps it has been overlooked.

Basle should become the new Zurich, well in orange eyes at least

Powerjet1
4th Aug 2004, 16:37
With today's new routes announced, easy will be operating 178 routes, which they state is 62 more than last winter and there is still more to come shortly!!!!!. I only hope they can find the pax to fill all these extra routes. Are they going into overkill or what ?. Ryan have always be noted for multiple route launches but even they must be a distant second place in this respect

Doug the Head
4th Aug 2004, 16:45
That´s right Sheikh Yerbootee, ZRH west, just like Ryanair! ;)

The_Bean_Counter
5th Aug 2004, 13:22
Thanks Sheikh, must be using the STN slots for Almeria and Valencia !

brabazon
5th Aug 2004, 14:56
Like Ryanair, easyJet have ordered a fair few new shiny aircraft and they've got to put them somewhere. Now which of the two will be first to 200 routes and/or 100 aircraft?

spork
7th Aug 2004, 21:25
With "new shiny aircraft" and the new EZ Almeria destination, does that mean smaller planes? I thought Almeria was a very small airport. Will it take the "normal" EasyJet planes?

Pardon my ignorance...

Lite
7th Aug 2004, 21:41
Almeria is a small airport, but regularly has MyTravel Lite Airbus 320s, and Iberia MD-80 series aircraft at the airport, so the new EasyJet 319s shouldn't be too much of a problem. Unless a fleet of them all decend at once.

Powerjet1
9th Aug 2004, 08:48
Easyjet to cut 6 of 27 daily flights from Amsterdam - report

AMSTERDAM (AFX) - Easyjet PLC is planning to cut six of its 27 daily flights from Amsterdam airport Schiphol as part of cost-cutting efforts, De Telegraaf reported, citing well-informed sources at Schiphol.

The cuts are expected to be mostly on flights to the UK, with the number of destinations remaining the same.

According to the paper, KLM has already adjusted its schedule in order to compensate for the reduced flights at Easyjet.

[email protected]

MerchantVenturer
9th Aug 2004, 11:23
BRS-AMS has been reduced to one rotation per day for the coming winter from the current two per day this summer.
This was announced within the easyJet website timetable two or three weeks ago.

I assumed it was merely a seasonal thing because there was only one rotation per day last winter.

dwlpl
9th Aug 2004, 12:45
The LPL-AMS route starts the winter period with 27 flights per week (down from last winters 33 flights per week) and ends the winter with 25 flights per week.

The aircraft are to be used on the LPL-GVA route instead.

Powerjet1
9th Aug 2004, 13:33
Likewise LTN-AMS is also down from 38 weekly departures last winter to 33 this year.

Wee Weasley Welshman
9th Aug 2004, 15:53
I don't see the problem. Against a backdrop of increasing pax numbers by 18% per annum any company is going to seek to cut out the inevitable dead wood. What are left should be dependable and sustainable routes. Which is probably what everybody wants to see.

Cheers

MerchantVenturer
9th Aug 2004, 16:22

I'm surprised that BRS-AMS has been put back to one rotation per day from two.

CAA provisional figures show over 28,000 travelled the route in June compared to 12,500 the previous June when KLM had the route to itself.

This jump suggests to me high loads (probably averaging 90 %) on the easy flights. I know that loads are one thing and yields another, but this has removed the possibility of day trips to AMS with easyJet.

I hope it is restored to two rotations next summer.

Doug the Head
9th Aug 2004, 18:14
Just a thought, but could EZY´s AMS cutbacks signal a possible merger/cooperation/acquisition (delete as appropriate) of Transavia?

Transavia wants to focus more on it´s Basiq Air LoCo concept and they also fly 737-700´s. On paper it looks like a good match.

Will EZY finally have it´s long sought after AMS base?

LGS6753
9th Aug 2004, 18:45
'Tis my belief that Transavia are owned by KLM, if so, there'll be no co-operation there. EZY don't seem to be disposed to co-operative agreements with other airlines.

I haven't checked, but are the dropped AMS rotations middle-of-the-day services? If so, the new routes to tourist and/or more distant destinations probably offer a better yield. The business destinations are better served at morning and evening peaks.

outofsynch
9th Aug 2004, 19:14
Much of the uncertainty of routes/schedules from STN may have something to do with the planning of the introduction of the A319 to STN next year.

A delivery every 10days takes some absorbtion.

Doug the Head
9th Aug 2004, 19:32
Haven´t heard anything definitive about Airbusses going to STN yet...

Heard rumours about STN getting the Bus, LTN getting the bus and lately, LPL getting the Bus. :confused: Everybody seems to be getting the Bus now. So far only ORY has been officially announced.

MerchantVenturer
9th Aug 2004, 19:40
I haven't checked, but are the dropped AMS rotations middle-of-the-day services? If so, the new routes to tourist and/or more distant destinations probably offer a better yield. The business destinations are better served at morning and evening peaks.
Not in Bristol's case.

The summer schedule shows two daily rotations, the first one out at 0720 and back at 1030, the second one out at 1900 and back at 2210.

This has been replaced by one daily rotation in the winter, out at 1310 and back at 1620: in fact, the exact opposite of what you suggest.

Scottie
10th Aug 2004, 07:15
As I have previously stated EDI's AMS route is being cut back to one rotation a day according to the winter timetable.

So the main feature is AMS in all of these reductions. Perhaps landing charges are just too high at AMS and the aircraft can make more money elsewhere.

outofsynch
10th Aug 2004, 18:29
Hey Doug t-H....

Care to review you're opinion?
I beleive STN will be all A319 by next June.

Doug the Head
10th Aug 2004, 18:48
Yep, I´ll change my opinion 180°! Didn´t hear the STN Airbus news until today.

For all of you in STN: have fun on the Airbus!! :ok: I´m not jealous....:ugh: At all...:{

Powerjet1
18th Aug 2004, 09:28
As predicted easy have announced the end of the LTN-ZRH from the end of October. From 1 Nov it will be replaced by a twice daily service to Basel

Robert Vesco
18th Aug 2004, 10:22
What about a BSL base for easyJet?

With all the problems surrounding Swiss, I´m quite supprised that they haven´t got a BSL base already.

What´s taking them so long?