PDA

View Full Version : BALPA Recruitment Conference

NI66A
26th Jul 2004, 16:00
Has anyone been to one of the previous BALPA recruitment conferences? Just wondering if it's really worth £50 & a 4 hour drive down there??
Should i just wait for the written up bit that appears in 'The Log'?
Plus is submitting your CV to the reps at the conference any different from just throwing them a copy in the post?
Cheers boys n' gals:ok:

Harvester
27th Jul 2004, 08:15
Myself and a few others have asked these same questions over the last couple of years having been to the conference and at the end of the day come to the same conclusions that you just can't afford not to in this current state of the market. You may just meet the right person at the right time and it helps with motivation and generally getting more knowledge about the market. Meeting and greeting in this industry is a must and it never hurts to give over your CV on a one to one basis. Only annoying thing is the rush at the end to meet people and the long queing process.

Best of luck if you attend. With a bit of luck over the next week I won't be there this Year!

Cheers

Harvester

FatFlyer
27th Jul 2004, 11:06
A couple of years ago it was free with your cheque returned if you turned up. then it was £20, Fifty seems a bit steep, with 400 people attending, thats 20K, does it cost that much to hire the venue?.
Interesting to hear the speakers though most are on the look out for experienced type rated people whereas most of those there are fATPLs looking for their first job.

Firestorm
28th Jul 2004, 11:54
Any time that I have been it seemed that the airlines that were going to recruit had just finished interviewing, and the others weren't going to bother. Also, having been promised a reply to letters sent direct to CPs, at their invitation at the conference, I got none. Fifty quid in the scheme of these things is good value, but don't go there expecting to come away with a job: it isn't a car boot sale. What you might learn is who to write to (ie personally, as well as companies), and you might get some CV advice. If it's your first year in aviation having just passed your licence, then I would say definitely go. If you've been around a bit longer, I wouldn't bust a gut for it.