PDA

View Full Version : Flying Scenes From The Movies

victor two
26th Jul 2004, 01:11
With little else to do that night, I sat on my lounge last Saturday evening and watched my pirated DVD of the James Bond classic "The Spy who loved me". One scene stuck out. The high speed chase through the hills of Sardinia with Bond and the very edible Barbara Bach playing the heavy chested Russian Agent XXX. Bond and his girl in their modified Lotus sports car/submarine are persued along winding roads by a black, machine gun sporting Jetranger driven by an equally delicious and heavy chested assassin who eventually gets blown up by our man James. Lots of very low flying down the road, hard pedal turns, fake guns blazing and generally agile flying.

Anyone else recall the flick or have a favourite flying scene they can reecommend?

The best bit of the whole show is of course is when XXX escapes the submarine lair of the bad guy and emerges......dripping wet! Mmmmm. Made my night.

cheers

Ian Corrigible
26th Jul 2004, 01:50
Not very original, I know, but for me probably Black Hawk Down and the remake of The Italian Job. The Hulk is probably worth a mention as well, simply for giving the taxpayer an opportunity to see Comanche in action after $8 billion of investment. Well, almost.

The trailer for this summer's Resident Evil 2 looks interesting - the film apparently features a CH-3/S-61 and a couple of MD520Ns. Plus Milla Jovovich !

For anyone in need of inspiration, try Rotary Action (http://www.rotaryaction.com).

I/C

p.s. The JetRanger pilot in The Spy Who Loved Me was the gorgeous Caroline Munro, often reported to be the most popular Bond girl ever.

NickLappos
26th Jul 2004, 02:29
Perhaps the absolute best helicopter flying flick was "Birds of Prey" a TV movie from the 1970's. David Janssen played a helicopter traffic reporter who witnesses a robbery/kidnapping, and follows the bad guys for hundreds of miles, including a scene where he chases them through a parking garage.

Here is the IMDB listing:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069787/

comedyjock
26th Jul 2004, 08:34
Air wolf or Blue Eagle?

Hilico
26th Jul 2004, 08:38
Nick, for the very first time I have to disagree. There was another one from the seventies called something very like 'Flight into Danger' (dreadful title but the only bad point of the film) starring Larry Hagman. At the time he was quite the helo pilot, and judging by the flying he was allowed to get away with by the film's producers, he was the film's producers.

The in-cockpit footage corresponded exactly to the things we saw his 500 doing from outside, and it was him flying it, without a shadow of a doubt. There's dialogue between him and the leading lady shot from the right-hand side of the cabin, while in the background the horizon swings up and down as they tear along at low level.

An Allouette II breaks the glass roof of a building with its skids (shot from inside the glass building and the helo); the 500 flies through a dockside shed (shot from outside and inside, Hagman flying); there's a chase between the Allouette and the 500 along a main street, skids scraping the ground; the 500 gets looped, can't remember if it's round a bridge; and on, and on, and on. In the opening, we even get to see the entire start sequence (in the hangar, and he goes on to play football with two kids using the skids). Stunning stuff!

NickLappos
26th Jul 2004, 09:25
Hilico,

I found what might be the flick you describe (being wrong is the way to learn, I think!). Is this it?

"Deadly Encounter"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083800/

Hilico
26th Jul 2004, 10:06
[/ end of difference with Nick ]

Tony Chambers
26th Jul 2004, 10:57
Movie scenes maybe spectacular but on sunday 25th of july i watched dangerman on discovery. after getting himself in some hot poop on the side of an active volcano he called in a freind to extract him by heli. Nothing new there except the weather was typhoon winds zero visability and sulphuric acid rain, but the experienced pilot arrived to save the film crew from danger. It was breath taking to see this guy actualy turn up in what was seriously crappy and dangerous conditions.:ok:

leemind
26th Jul 2004, 11:14
How can we have this thread without the mention of Apocalypse Now !! Some all time classic action in H500Cs and Hueys... hundreds of them filling the sky

Truly a helicopter classic

[actually I'm guessing the H500s were the mil version, but hey, whos checking!]

The other thing about that film is they get the right noises with the right machines... one scene the noise could only come from a 500!

vaqueroaero
26th Jul 2004, 18:33
Funnily enough we were talking about 'Deadly Encounters' the other day. I looked it up on Amazon.com and to my delight found that they are selling it for only $12 on DVD! 'Birds of Prey' was slightly more at about $40.
Bought 4 copies.
Apparently my boss and me are having dinner with Mr. Hagman in August so I shall be raising the subject with him ( and obtaining an autographed copy!!). Sorry, just had to drop that in.

headsethair
26th Jul 2004, 18:53
The original Italian Job and Attenborough's Oh! What A Lovely War - aerials for both by the UK's Mike Smith who runs Heli Air.
For the Italian Job he did the closing scene of the coach hanging over a cliff - which I think he did with an Alouette.
For Oh! What A .... he did the closing shot of thousands of crosses on a hillside above Brighton......I think each cross cost 1s 6d.

Tony Chambers
26th Jul 2004, 21:13
if its heli movies then this adaptation of a true story tells the tale of how diverse the heli is and how it was exploited in the vietnam war

SASless
27th Jul 2004, 01:24
In Blackhawk Down...one of the Little Bird pilots reenacts his actual flight during the real fight....hats off to that gentleman!

Also...the best non-helicopter helicopter flying....much of the aerial shots done for Battle of Britain was shot by the owner of Helicopter Hire, Southend-on-the-Sea....while hanging on a trapeeze device slung underneath an Alouette II. She was also a stunt double for Pussy Galore in Goldfinger. She had offered me a job flying for them....and the village idiot here turned it down....whatever was I thinking???:uhoh:

victor two
27th Jul 2004, 06:42
There was always plenty of good chopper scenes in the old TV detective show Magnum PI with Tom Sellick in Hawaii too. A rainbow coloured Hughes 500 from memory. Maybe it was just the awesome beaches and reef below it that made it look good.
Hey Vaq, when you have dinner with Larry Hagman......... ask him who really shot him in the ass on Southfork ranch in Dallas will ya?
cheers

Vic

And another. Enemy of the State with Will Smith getting chased through a busy downtown metro area ( Maybe LA or NYC ?) by some angry government types with black shades and bad haircuts. Think it was a black twin squirrel getting the star treatment up and down the street chasing a defiant Smith. Must take a good awareness of rotor span and tail rotor position to drive something down a street. Must try it one day.

Happy late night viewing all.
Vic.

ShyTorque
27th Jul 2004, 08:22
Funniest one I remember was an unknown WW2 hero film, supposedly deadly serious, where the two pilots (one of whom was possibly John Wayne) were flying a tandem Navy dive bomber. They were on a mission "flying in cloud somewhere over the Pacific Ocean", when the outline / shadow of a man suddenly appeared and slowly went past the cockpit.

Also the film "Airport" when ATC were talking down a 707 in a thick snowstorm to the dramatic sounds of an orchestra. The pilot was struggling to keep the aircraft upright, but the controller was so very helpful, saying useful things like "A little more left rudder, Jim".

Perhaps we should have another thread on the best "aviation film howlers".

;)

NickLappos
27th Jul 2004, 09:52
I always like the one in Die Hard II where the bad guys readjusted the ILS and made the airliners hit the ground, powerless as they were to stop the descent!

And where they were all trapped circling in the air, where they could see each other and the ground, but just stuck because the bad guys controlled the radios!!

Both were clearly the dream of ATC, full control of all those miscreant airplanes!

Giovanni Cento Nove
27th Jul 2004, 10:01
The 12E that has a tail rotor strike and subsequently obeys all the laws of physics in "Attack of the Killer Tomato's".

The look on the actors faces who are "not quite sure if this is in the script".

Go to "Facts" page one to see!

Killer Tomatoes Web Site (http://www.killertomatoes.com/mainFlash.asp)

Gordy
27th Jul 2004, 10:12
What about the chase scene in the movie "Outbreak" with Dustin Hoffman.?

rotorrookie
27th Jul 2004, 11:11
What about then the scene from last James Bond movie, where he drops a MD600 out of Antonov AN-124(if I remember it right) starts it up on the way down and gets it in to hover only one or two feet from the ground.....:} crap not like blades would get twisted or anything

Crabette
27th Jul 2004, 16:56
Charlie's Angel's - Full Throttle...............In the beginning scene; driving a transporter off a dam, Diaz gets into a shut down, blades folded, Ruskie helo. Starts & spreads the blades as it freefalls towards terra firma with the other two Angel's and their rescued agent doing a nice 'Alpha' dive into a starting helo and then with all aboard at the last minute they pull up before hitting the deck thereby making it a longer than five minute sequel. Must be true, it's in colour! Eat your heart out Bond.

maxman
27th Jul 2004, 18:44
Always had a soft spot for the two sinister Hughes OH6's in Capricorn One.
Liked the sequences of them chasing Telly Savalas in the biplane:ok:

SASless
27th Jul 2004, 18:45
Crabette....me thinks a bit of bias in your perspective...Charlie's Angels in preference to John Wayne? Oh, Dear!;)

sandy helmet
27th Jul 2004, 19:01
"Sniper" with Tom Berenger, where the drug baron's R-22's turbine is whining down.

Rich Lee
27th Jul 2004, 19:14
The Deadly Encounter film featured the flying of Bert Rhine in the Allouette sequence. Bert was also the infamous "Eric Stohler (sp?) in Firebirds. Bert worked with Schreiner Airways/Pelita Air Service in Indonesia and was also a Boeing Test Pilot.

2Sticks
27th Jul 2004, 21:31
I have to agree with NickLapos with regard to this:
Quote:
Perhaps the absolute best helicopter flying flick was "Birds of Prey" a TV movie from the 1970's. David Janssen played a helicopter traffic reporter who witnesses a robbery/kidnapping, and follows the bad guys for hundreds of miles, including a scene where he chases them through a parking garage.

The best bits include where he's chatting to his base on a hand held mike in his 500 with just the hint of a turbine in the background, the fact that his heli manages to do a 180 degree turn without him making any control inputs, and the chase scene where the (what I seem to remember is an) Alouette manages to keep up with the Hughes on the chase (really probable!). Anyhow, a pal of mine gave me a copy of an old VHS tape of this he'd made on a CD-ROM - it was a good laugh!!

2Sticks:ok:

Capn Notarious
27th Jul 2004, 21:59
Another likeable sequence is from the fllm Local Hero.
It's at the end when a Jetranger flies in over a beach, during a sunset. The accompanying music gives a pleasant image.

ShyTorque
27th Jul 2004, 23:59
Sandy Helmet,

You're right, that is totally unbelievable. Someone with a lot of money flying an R-22? Nah.

ginjockey
28th Jul 2004, 06:43
There was Rambo 2 also. Old John J Rambo gets chased about the jungle by a Russian Hind (or something dressed up like one) which I think he finally shoots down with a bow and arrow.

Aaahhh, that's where the mujahadeen were going wrong in Afghanistan back in the eighties. Forget the AAA and missiles. Pluck a sharp stick at them and they just explode into a zillion pieces. Oh to be a "Hollywod Stunt pilot".

Actaully, I remember he also knocked a jetranger out of the sky with a rock in Rambo 1. This guy is good. I wouldn't fight him over the loose change on the bar.

cheers
Gin.

StevieTerrier
28th Jul 2004, 08:37
Terminator 2 - where the T2000 is flying a 206 chasing Arnie down the freeway, one hand on the cyclic, the other on the collective and the er....other other holding and firing a machine gun. Just think how useful that third arm would be when re-folding a quarter mill map in flight...

Rich Lee wrote "Bert (Rhine) was also the infamous "Eric Stohler (sp?) in Firebirds"

Wasn't Eric Stohler in "Wings Of The Apache"? The world's worst helicopter film featuring the worlds most wooden actors Nicholas Cage and Sean Young? It was billed as rotary-wing's answer to "Top Gun" and I rushed off to see it as soon as it came out. SH-1Te. Wouldn't have encouraged me to sign up.

And speaking of naff - what about the Squirrel sequence in one of the Bond films, where they "fly" down the street in about a 70 degrees nose down attitude and 5kts groundspeed.....

SASless
28th Jul 2004, 14:16
Hows about Hamburger Hill....the scene where the Huey's are doing a Combat Assault (CA)...with the blades curling the fog and generating their own in the votices....very impressive images.

Also liked the hot tub scene too....but that is another story....from R and R.:ok:

vaqueroaero
28th Jul 2004, 14:48
Just thought of another one: That dreadful film 'Rat Race' with Rowan Atkinson, where the girl at the end is trying to start an A-Star (Squirrel) and the clever sound guys have used the noise of a recip turning over.

Rich Lee
28th Jul 2004, 15:01
Wasn't Eric Stohler in "Wings Of The Apache"? The world's worst helicopter film featuring the worlds most wooden actors Nicholas Cage and Sean Young? Yes indeed on both counts. "Wings Of The Apache" and "Firebirds" are one in the same film. They changed the name for reasons unkown. And yes, it qualifies as one of the worst helicopter films and it did feature the worlds most wooden actors. There is actually a film that was produced that used a clever mix of computer animation and footage from "Wings Of The Apache" to produce an even worse helicopter film. Don't know the name, but it is bad....really, really bad.

Lama Bear
28th Jul 2004, 15:13
The badness of a movie is directly proportional to the number of helicopters in it.

Dave Barry

Orange Arm Waver
28th Jul 2004, 15:26
Watched a film recently with some hero type shooting at an orange coloured UH-1 type only for the close-up to be a Squirrel!

You've got the Hiller whanging round Bond in "From Russia With Love" and the supposed lift off of the R22 from the train in "Goldeneye" - also featuring the Tiger. Two Dauphin feature in "Octopussy"

Did like the remake Italian Job with the '500 flying under the road... very impressive.

Another film is Biggles with the Jet Ranger dog fighting with the Stearman... and the mock up blown up which looks more than a bit dodgy...

The bad guys in the A-Team always flew '500's too

OAW

Eurobolkow
28th Jul 2004, 16:22
MH68 Stingray in Bad Boys II, some really great scenes of two aircraft taking out a speed boat!!

Lightning_Boy
28th Jul 2004, 19:53
Watching Airwolf lift out of his cave and hit his turbo's. Stringfellow hawk was one hell of a pilot. Old Dominic Santinin must have been a top notch mechanic as well, as string once flew the 222 to 100,000 ft. Good job he never had to perform an auto coming out of that cave !!!

victor two
28th Jul 2004, 23:35
I actually hacked up when I remember that corny scene in the Bond flick with the squirrell flying down the street with it's nose pointed nearly straight down and moving at wheelchair speed, rotors tearing through dozens of rope clothes lines in some seedy China town. Sarongs and lap laps and ropes tangled everywhere with no effect on the control of the bird. Can't remember how that squirrel was destroyed. Maybe Rambo stepped out of a passing Rickshaw and knocked it out with a well thown fish head from the rubbish bin.........

Nobody f*cks with Rambo!

CyclicWaggle
29th Jul 2004, 06:30
Can't remember which Bond film it was but there was a pre-opening credits section where James gets taken for a ride in a B206. The pilot gets shot and James finds out that Blofeld has got the chopper under radio control. James naturally regains control and picks up Blofeld's wheelchair on the front of the skids and drops him down a chimney. Classic.

BTW, it's always interesting to look at heli's rotor heads in films as you can usually see where they've used a model chopper - such as when Frank Murphey loops Blue Thunder - the chopper that gets looped has got 2 blades and a flybar with weighted paddles on the end!

Has anyone given any thought to the VNE of Airwolf? Using that boost button must push it over the limit? :ok:

Orange Arm Waver
29th Jul 2004, 06:54
Victor two
The Squirrel in "The World is Not Enough" is brought down by Bond who rides the motor bike at the chopper sliding it down the streeet under the disk whilst holding a steel cable which he then throws into the tail rotor which causes a loss of control and it smashes into the surrounding buildings in a big flaming ball... I think I need to get out more!:8

CyclicWaggle
The other Bond film where Blofeld is deposited down the chimney is called I think "Live and Let Die"... The Jet Ranger was still around a year or two back but I think it has since crashed. I also believe that at the bottom of the chimney you'll still find the dropped prop... If the Chimney is still there... it was filmed back in '72-73. The pilot, who's name escapes me got the dummy down the chimney on first take by all accounts.

Another film with Helicopter action in a town is "Swordfish" with the Flying Crane carrying the bus and the escape in the Explorer.

OAW :E

Hilico
29th Jul 2004, 12:28
OrangeArmWaver, CyclicWaggle - think the pilot was Marc Wolf and the machine was G-BAKS (RIP). It used to belong to the Galliford Group and would regularly land at a construction site in Harwich - where it and its pilot at the time would be ruthlessly examined and interrogated by a really irritating chopper-spotter - me.

CyclicWaggle
30th Jul 2004, 02:52
The Matrix - Huey with a midigun hangin' out the back door :}

g-mady
8th Apr 2007, 18:18
Apart from Airwolf and Blue thunder (which I havn't seen) are there any other "good" helicopter films or films involving helis? Suppose you have to add Black hawk down to this?

MADY

somepitch
8th Apr 2007, 18:21
apocalypse now!

murdock
8th Apr 2007, 18:29
We Were Soldiers was pretty dencent for the helicopters.

Bravo73
8th Apr 2007, 20:16
Deadly Encounter.

See here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=185483)
and, much more recently, here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271172).

A bit more about Apocalypse Now (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52688).
A bit more about Blue Thunder (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=168839).

This thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138932) will also help. :ok:

arismount
8th Apr 2007, 20:59
You probably never heard of it, but "Birds of Prey" starring David Janssen was the best & most realistic helicopter flying movie I ever saw.

Rigga
8th Apr 2007, 21:36
Yep - "Birds of Prey" was just about the most stunning flying I've seen - a proper dual of pilots' flying - inside an hangar! And in the days prior to digital enhancement too.
Basic Cops and Robbers storyline with a Hughes 500 and an Allouette I think.

helopat
8th Apr 2007, 22:08
The perfect storm - probably the most realistic ditching at sea and (almost) not getting out scene ever.

james2210
8th Apr 2007, 22:45
Try Wings of the Apache and Black Hawk Down

rugmuncher
8th Apr 2007, 23:22
Here you go, Fill yer boots !

http://www.rotaryaction.com/

:ok:

SASless
9th Apr 2007, 00:28
"More American Grafitti" was great too....someone who understood Army Warrant Officer Helicopter Pilots must have been involved.:)

g-mady
9th Apr 2007, 09:54
Some great mentions here. Some I haven't even heard of!
Guess I should have thought about Apocalypse Now!

What about the Guardian - anyone seen that yet? And Sahara - What a great film!

Good find that "rugmuncher" :ok:

MADY

TwinHueyMan
9th Apr 2007, 11:05
What about Firebirds? I always chant "I am the greatest!" when I fly.

9th Apr 2007, 11:38
There was a 1981 movie called ‘Race for the Yankee Zephyr’ that was filmed around Queenstown in NZ. It involved a downed U.S. Navy DC-3 cargo plane missing since 1944 that holds medals and a lot of money. The movie starred Ken Wahl, Lesley Ann Warren, Donald Pleasance and George Peppard.
There was some pretty creative flying in a H300, excellant scenery and some dear hunt footage.
Old, but worth a look.:ok:

gadgetguru
9th Apr 2007, 12:53
TwinHueyMan What about Firebirds? I always chant "I am the greatest!" when I fly.
he he
you'd look good with a periscope strapped to you noggin with a pair of jocks...
:cool:
there was some great action footage, however unrealistic it may have been, but Nicholas Cage was a little over-bearing,

And of course another good 'authoritarian' role for Tommy Lee-Jones though.

Wasn't "Birds of Prey" a very dodgy b-grade F-117 movie (one black one in some sort of three-stage-gray urban cam), or is that another flick of the same name?

rotornut
9th Apr 2007, 17:39
Don't forget "Whirlybirds", a TV series from the 50s. Love that Bell 47 sound. Perhaps you can get it on DVD.

pitot212
9th Apr 2007, 18:12
I'm with Rigga and Arismount........."Birds of Prey" without a shadow of a doubt is the best Helicopter flying film.

chopper2004
17th Apr 2007, 12:49
The Guardian: HH-60J Jayhawk and cant remember if there was an HH-65

The Island: EC-120B

Resident Evil II, my favourite: Helicopter Transportation Services MD-520N, S-61R, AS-355F2 ..nice paint scheme

Bad Boys II, USCG HH-65 HH-60Jand HITRON-10 MH-68, AS355 (in Miami Police guise)

SWAT: AS-305 Astar and Bell 212 ( LAPD ASTRO Division uses Bell UH-1H ex US Army to fly SWAT teams) and AgustaWestland A109C

Tears of the Sun: SH-60F/HH-60H/SH-60B HSL-37 at Kaneohe Bay and the off shore shots on aircraft carrier might be from HS-3 in the Atlantic. Forgot the credits.

Tomb Raider; the Cradle of Life: AS350B3, EC-155, A-109E Power.

Behind Enemy Lines: HH-60, and UH-1N though notice the slight change as the film was shot off the coast of san Diego and in Czech republic …the UH-1N became a flight of Bell 412 and 2 x Bell 205. Also MI-8 in there

Tomb Raider: RAF Chinook HC2

The General’s Daughter: S-61L Shortsky (tell by the fixed undercarriage could’ve been any operator that supplied from Carson helicopters to wheoever),at beginning transporting the General (US Army only operated VH-3A when Army VIP Flight detachment briefly in early 60s), also Bell 205

The World is Not Enough: AS-365, AS355, EC-135

Tommorrow Never Dies: 21st SOS MH-53J from RAF Mildenhall landing at RAF Lakenheath, AS565/365 at beginning at arms bazaar and AS-355 and EC-135 parked in background supposedly at Hambrug Airport but in reality it was Stansted where Pierce Brosnan demo the r/c BMW. The story about that EC-135 was it was one of the demos and ECD test pilot ferried it across to UK for the shoot, kind of marketing ploy like the Tiger in Goldeneye. Read it in the book of behind the scenes for Tommorrow Never Dies.

Courage Under Fire: Bell 205 or UH-1H and Cobras..probably privately owned and refiteed by Garlick helicopters (only company authorised to maintain modify ex US Army Cobras.

Bad Boys: MD-520N right at end with police SWAT and reinforcements.

Goldeneye: prototype Eurocopter Tiger and AS-355 and Bell UH-1H

Outbreak: Bell 204 (supposedly as California ARNG UH-1M which I thought they were till remembered they were retired by late 80s, early 90s), MD-500 as Little Bird, Bell 206 JetRanger (news copter), and at beginning

Clear and Present Danger: MH-60 from 2nd or 3rd BN 160th SOAR
Civil Bell 412

Under Siege: COlumbia Helicopters KV-107 in movie disguise as USN CH-46

Toy Soldiers: Virginia ARNG AH-64A Apache and UH-60. At the beginning when the narco terrorists led by Andrew Divoff pushes the Columbian judge out of the helo, think it was a Bell 212.

Navy SEALS: Spanish Navy SH-3D dolled up in USN titles, (also filmed aboard aircraft carrier Principe de Austrias when the SEALS are having their debrief, look out for the Spanish Navy squadron patches on the ceiling). Also Bell 204 used in SEALS training, though wonder if that might be HH-1K as the predecessors to HCS-4 and HCS-5 being Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 3 and 4 still had the Hueys till 1989/1990 before being replaced by HH-60H as the movie was released 1990.

License to Kill: HH-65A Dolphin USCG and AS-350

The Rescue: RNZAF UH-1H and some civil Bell 212 as North Korean bad guy

Bat 21, Royal Malaysian Air Force S-61 Nuris as supposedly the Jilly Greens, and Bell 212 (don’t know who that belonged to)

The Fourth Protocol: Bristows S-76 dolled up in black SF paint and RAF roundels

g-mady
18th Apr 2007, 09:49
for someone with only 2 posts thats some pretty serious knowledge of Helicopters in films!

chopper2004
18th Apr 2007, 09:52
Morning all

ANyone remember the Richard Hrris/SOphia Loren/OJ SImpson/Burt Lancaster/Martin Sheen 1977 movie Cassandra Crossing of the train hurtling through switzerland with an injured bio weapon infected terrorist

The famous scene of BOHAG Alouette II, reg HB-XDL flying beside the moving train trying to hoist up the dog and the infected terrorist? The helicopter in the film supposedly belongs or contracted to the US Army team from the fictional International health Organisaton based in Geneva

g-mady
18th Apr 2007, 10:10
Nobody mention Broken Arrow yet - Was quite rubbish!

Helimikey
18th Apr 2007, 10:56
The Peacemaker! Nice Dolphins formation there...

chopper2004
18th Apr 2007, 11:02
I agree there that Broken Arrow as hmmmmm .... last time USAF used UH-1F/HH-1F was in 70s maybe 80s!! Certainly not in those camouflage!!! Think the film makers could have been betetr off using Bell 212 and painting it like the USAF.

Better still the A-109C scene; well the Nuclear Emergency Search Team in reality or back in the late 90s operated BO-105 with sensor equipment based out of Nellis AFB. I know this as I have a book America's Counter Terrorist
Teams written in 1997 and published by Presidio/Power series books looking at everything from Delta Force to US Marshals Special Operations Group and to FBI HRT (latter operate Bell 412 and MD-500 Little Birds)

I was tempted to buy that website rotaryaction.com as there were some blatant errors by some of the contributors so I offered some amendments.

chopper2004
18th Apr 2007, 11:14
I remember if rightly corrected; that scene was filmed in Czech Republic, anyone know which European operator supplied the AS365 for the movie and think it looked like it was filmed at a Czech air base, ref the Migs under canvas in the background??

The film was shot in NYC, Vienna and somewhere in CzecH Republic

chopper2004
18th Apr 2007, 11:20
If they ever wanted to do a remake of Magnum PI, I would hope they'd use an AS-350 as that is the popular heli of choice by tour operators such as Air Kauai, Air Maui and Blue Hawaiian fly.

If they made a remake of Airowlf (as mentioned in other threads ) then maybe uprate to a Bell 430 perhaps?

Getting back to Airwolf remember the episode where they used a supposed armed S-76 called HX-1?
Well there is an armed version of the S-76 called the H-76 Eagle SIkorsky demonstrated in the late 80s and theres an armed S-76 in use with the Phillippine Air Force Tactical Helicopter Wing.
If anyone wants to see a bit of film footage of the H-76 demonstrator over the desert during trials, then look no further than the first episode and intro to War of the Worlds in the late 80s where the supposed Martians who took over the body of an army pilot.

bell222
18th Apr 2007, 21:26
not a film but t.v..... chopper squad 206 with floats and very big perms if i remember rightly 70's

Tickle
19th Apr 2007, 03:29
I loved Chopper Squad!! I have asked Channel 10 to repeat it a few times over the past ten years to no success. I have memories of watching it on the weekend, was a great show. I have one fond memory of them using the Jetranger to chase a guy in a van or something along some tree-lined road.

Tickle
19th Apr 2007, 04:16
Biggles: Joining the Eighties: Biggles (the WW2 fighter pilot) time travels to present day and learns to fly a cool black Jetranger with pop out floats and he takes it back in time and flies against a German biplane ace.
Deadly Impact: Cat and mouse game that has a silly helicopter chase that mimics Blue Thunder but only at half the speed and bad humour.
The Thing: Features a Jetranger with huge floats throughout the film, flown by Kurt Russel.
Rambo III: A Puma and a Gazelle with a weather radar or something that makes it look nasty. *SPOILER* Rambo in a tank goes head on into the Puma and survives of course.
Red Dawn: You can see Pumas dressed up as Hinds terrorising a bunch of kids in bushland. That scene gave me a feeling of scary Russian gunships.
Bat 21: Bell 212 and Sea King. A fixed wing pilot learns to fly the 212 and has some great combat scenes. Also heavily features a Cessna Skymaster.
Ninja III: The Domaination: A ninja is being pursused by a police force and ends up in a golf resort. A Squirrel comes in and he climbs up a palm tree and assassinates the crew and pilot and jumps back out again!
The Gauntlet: A Gazelle terrorises Clint Eastwood on a Harley!
The Junkman: Sequel to Gone in 60 Seconds, features a Gazelle on and off but they wreck the soundtrack by mixing in Huey sounds.

bigsquirrel
19th Apr 2007, 04:20
Hey guys, what about Uncommon Valour with Gene Hackman, lots of 206s and 212s cammed up to look like the NVA. Basic story is the son of Hackman is MIA in Vietnam and he puts together a group to get him out. Bit cheesy, but some good flying.

Teefor Gage
19th Apr 2007, 07:14
Nobody has mentioned Budgie the Little Helicopter (http://dvd.ciao.co.uk/Budgie_The_Little_Helicopter_The_Air_Show_Animated__5917409)
A stunningly realistic little film, from a book with royal connetions no less.......

bell222
19th Apr 2007, 08:22
how about highwayman cheesy 80's tv where he drives a hgv in which the cab is actually a gazelle which after the sides of the truck fold down the rotors appear and he just flies away

NLJ
20th Apr 2007, 17:07
What about "The Prisoner". Seem to remember an escape attempt in one episode by No.6 (Patrick McGoohan) in an Alouette II on floats.http://www.the-prisoner-6.freeserve.co.uk/frankmaher.htm

Deiceman
20th Apr 2007, 19:54
I THINK Wings of the Apache is the UK version of Firebirds.

cptjim
20th Aug 2008, 13:52
Here is the video clip from For your eyes only....nice bit of flying!!

YouTube - 007 For Your Eyes Only DON LANE 1981 HD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuPl5BkjMIE)

Jim :ok:

dragman
21st Aug 2008, 04:07
Right up there with the dodgeysquirrelinchinatown bond scene has to be Temuera Morrison trying to land a Huey on K2 in "Vertical Limit".

The main blades are edging oh-so-slowly toward a striken climber. Cut to the shot of the chopper hovering OGE in 50 knots and getting tossed around like a cork. Cut back to a close up of said climber and the blades begin to rip her jacket.

Miraculously, she escapes without a scratch.

Who says Kiwis can't fly?

Arm out the window
21st Aug 2008, 05:44
Hopefully after Temuera rescued her, he turned to her and said "Now cook me some f***ing eggs!".
Now that was a good movie.

blue monday
21st Aug 2008, 14:32
YouTube - Huey chasing a OH-6 Loach (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zmCb8IAatxM)

ToTall
21st Aug 2008, 19:11
I really like that clip from Outbreak. Especially when you she the close ups of D. Hoffman in the OH6 with no doors and no front window. Must be windy flying like that.

Films are great deceiving for the non pilots :}

blue monday
21st Aug 2008, 19:14
I don't know about deceiving none pilots, i can't see anyone with an ounce of intellect being deceived by it TBH but still a good clip.

dragman
21st Aug 2008, 20:22
On account of Mr Morrison playing the part of a Pakistani, it's more likely he asked for some f$%king chicken saag with pilau rice.

funfinn2000
22nd Aug 2008, 14:47
do ya remember in Golden eye, Sean Bean 006 escapes from the train in a black R22 with a Russian red star on it, no fancy flying but a very fancy Engine start sound effect, it was a 206 start-up sound. Maybe the producer didnt like the grunting sound of a piston,

ecureilx
24th Aug 2008, 13:19
Was seeing a replay of the movie Sentinel starring Michael Douglas and Eva Longoria - where the Marine One gets shot down.

The painted an S61 with the Marine one colors, and just forgot that the marine one has rectractable landing gear, instead of the one shown with Fixed Landing Gear, and minus the Sponsons .. anyway, as close at it gets ..

js0987
24th Aug 2008, 21:02
Scenes we'd like to see - When the movie Blue Thunder came out, the star, Roy Scheider, made an appearance on the old Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Scheider said that during the filming of the final scenes where Blue Thunder and the Hughes 500 chase each other around the Los Angeles skyscrapers, Malcom McDowell, supposedly flying the 500 was absolutely terrified. Scheider said the film out takes show McDowell screaming most of the time. One day maybe those out takes will make a bloopers tv show.

Tickle
25th Aug 2008, 03:29
I watched 28 Weeks Later on the weekend. Gazelles, Chinooks and Apaches feature in this however the most amusing scene was when the Gazelle pilot attacks a horde of zombies in a field by pitching down to use his blades to slice through their heads while screaming stuff like, "Yeah, come and get it! You want some!? Woo yeah!" The Gazelle also had a Huey sound mixed in over its shrieking.

HELOFAN
25th Aug 2008, 16:02
When will we ever see a film that is about helicopters and has real footage, a good feature length documentary that isn't full of crap.

surely there will be a day.

the best stuff I have seen is from Nz & Oz on deer hunting.

HF

Richard Taylor
25th Aug 2008, 16:20
James Bond + helicopters is a recurring theme.

Octupussy had the Russian bad guy (Stephen Berkoff with a dodgy Russian accent!) arrive at Kamal Khan's gaff (another bad guy) in what looked suspiciously like a red North Scottish SA365C...even had "NM" on the nose as I recall!! - G-BGNM??

Tickle
26th Aug 2008, 04:05
HELOFAN, check these documentaries, I have them all and they're fascinating.

Helicopters: The Ultimate Profile. It is 238 minutes long and I got it years ago from a specialist shop on VHS. It discusses so many models and has a lot of original and archive footage. It also has a very memorable long sequence of Hinds operating with some odd electronic orchestrial music as well as some long sequences of BO-105 low-level training flights in and around dense woods at high speed.

Helicopters: The Ultimate Profile
DD Video
5 Churchill Court
58 Station Road
North Harrow
Middx HA2 7SA
www.ddvideo.co.uk

Another great documentary is Chopper: What Goes Up. I was only able to ever find volume 3 that consisted of these episodes: The Turbulent Fifties, Full Metal Gunship and Riders in the Sky. The Turbulent Fifties episode is really interesting, full of old archive footage of the first turbine choppers and those big MD, compound and Hughes experimental machines.

Chopper (What Goes Up)
60 minutes
Silver Trak Audio & Video

The Extreme Machines / Discovery docu called Choppers is also a good one to have.

There's also another good docu called The West's Combat Helicopters: Bell UH-1 Huey, Agusta A109, MD Defender, Gazelle, BO-105P, Lynx and Lynx 3, Dauphin / Panther, A129 Mangusta, Blackhawk, H-76 Eagle, HueyCobra, Apacha and the LHX. This features a lot of original, demo and test footage of these choppers.

The West's Combat Helocopters
60 minutes
Command Vision
28 LancasterMews
London, W2 3QE
Part of the Modern Combat Aircraft 2 series

Don't bother with the Straight Up! Helicopters in Action documentary made for IMAX. I found it quite disappointing, more for general audiences.

trimpot
26th Aug 2008, 10:12
Well I thought some of the stuff in 'Sniper' was very good :} and some of the stuff in 'Frankie's house' was great too. But then again, I may be biased ;)

Madbob
26th Aug 2008, 15:04
There was a great movie in the late '70s or early '80s called Sky Heist which gets my vote. There is an amazing sequence involving flying under a freeway bridge with the skids throwing sparks of the road with little overhead rotor clearance.

Another scene an aerial chase with the bad guys in I think an Alouette with the good guy (a TV traffic reporter) in a Hughes 500 which was mind-blowing to watch. Well worth seeing if you get the chance....

MB

parasite drag
26th Aug 2008, 22:10
I/C

"p.s. The JetRanger pilot in The Spy Who Loved Me was the gorgeous Caroline Munro, often reported to be the most popular Bond girl ever."

Wasn't the pilot actually the great Dennis Kenyon ?? :ok:

PD

blue monday
27th Aug 2008, 07:15
I/C

"p.s. The JetRanger pilot in The Spy Who Loved Me was the gorgeous Caroline Munro, often reported to be the most popular Bond girl ever."

Wasn't the pilot actually the great Dennis Kenyon ?? http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

PD

What! Does this mean the great Mr Kenyon is a cross dresser and calls himself Caroline when in drag! (im sure he won't be ofended by this humour)

parasite drag
27th Aug 2008, 09:02
watch the excellent scene by searching - Lotus Esprit S1 - on Youtube.com ...if you look carefully at about 5 mins 35 seconds the great man in drag is pretty obvious

sorry Den, your secret is out ;)...but you're still my hero !

chopper2004
27th Aug 2008, 10:02
Madbob,

The 500 film you're on about is called Deadly Encounter and it has Larry Hagman as an ex army pilot and Vietnam vet flying for a commercial outfit called YAG Helicopters (YAG for Yankee Go Home) and he helps an old flame from some mafia hoods who is after her for money from her late husband (whom they killed). The chase is from Mexico into USA with the bad guys flying Lamas and the big bad guy sports a blue and white SA341 Gazelle.

Larry Hagman is actually flying a 369...not really a 500 as such.

chopper2004
27th Aug 2008, 10:06
A while back I posted this with helicopters in films thread

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/271243-helicopters-films.html

More helicopters in films

Transformers:

USAF AFSOC MH-53M, CV-22 from 58th SOW at Kirtland AFB, HH-60G on ramp at Holloman at beginning

US Army red and white Huey (supposed DUSTOFF to reover the ranger team in Qatar...colours look like it may be test / eval a/c out of White Sands missile range),
Also UH-60A DUSTOFF pairs over desert and normal UH-60L (transporting our heroes to the dam)

Eurocopter EC-120B and EC-130B4 (as used by Sector 7 to capture Bumblebee under the bridge

Not sure about at the end when they were dumping the remains of the decpeticons at sea by SH-60F whether they were CGI or real

Casino Royale: Tour helicopter Bell 206B lifts off as Bond arrives in Nassau and then later on he arrives back at murder scene at the villa in an MD-600N

The Guardian: HH-60J Jayhawk and cant remember if there was an HH-65

The Island: EC-120B

Resident Evil II, my favourite: Helicopter Transportation Services MD-520N, S-61R, AS-355F2 ..nice paint scheme

Bad Boys II, USCG HH-65 HH-60Jand HITRON-10 MH-68. AS355F2 (in Miami Police guise)

SWAT: AS-305 Astar and Bell 212 ( LAPD ASTRO Division uses Bell UH-1H ex US Army to fly SWAT teams) and AgustaWestland A109C

Tears of the Sun: SH-60F/HH-60H/SH-60B HSL-37 at Kaneohe Bay and the off shore shots on aircraft carrier might be from HS-3 in the Atlantic. Forgot the credits.

Tomb Raider; the Cradle of Life: AS350B3, EC-155B, A-109E Power.

Die Another Day: BSF - Berliner Spezial Flug (http://www.helionline.net/photogallery//////BSF+-+Berliner+Spezial+Flug.html) MI-8 Hip used as North Korean heli at beginning then there is Eastern Atlantic MD-900 Explorer and MD-600N flown by Simon Oliphant Hope (around the world helicopter pilot) and then there is the scene at RAF Odiham with their Chinook Wing which was depicted as a USAF airbase in RoK.

Behind Enemy Lines: HH-60, and UH-1N though notice the slight change as the film was shot off the coast of san Diego and in Czech republic …the UH-1N became a flight of Bell 412 and 2 x Bell 205. Also MI-8 in there

Tomb Raider: RAF Chinook HC2

The General’s Daughter: S-61L Shortsky (tell by the fixed undercarriage could’ve been any operator that supplied from Carson helicopters to wheoever),at beginning transporting the General (US Army only operated VH-3A when Army VIP Flight detachment briefly in early 60s), also Bell 205

The World is Not Enough: AS-365, AS355, EC-135

Tommorrow Never Dies: 21st SOS MH-53J from RAF Mildenhall landing at RAF Lakenheath, AS565/365 at beginning at arms bazaar and AS-355 and EC-135 parked in background supposedly at Hambrug Airport but in reality it was Stansted where Pierce Brosnan demo the r/c BMW. The story about that EC-135 was it was one of the demos and ECD test pilot ferried it across to UK for the shoot, kind of marketing ploy like the Tiger in Goldeneye. Read it in the book of behind the scenes for Tommorrow Never Dies.

Courage Under Fire: Bell 205 or UH-1H and Cobras..probably privately owned and refiteed by Garlick helicopters (only company authorised to maintain modify ex US Army Cobras.

Bad Boys: MD-520N right at end with police SWAT and reinforcements.

Goldeneye: prototype Eurocopter Tiger and bad guys AS-355 and Bell UH-1H and Robbo22

COn Air: Garlick Helicopters refitted ex army AH-1S for movie, UH-1H

Outbreak: Bell 204 (supposedly as California ARNG UH-1M which I thought they were till remembered they were retired by late 80s, early 90s), MD-500 as Little Bird, Bell 206 JetRanger (news copter), and at beginning

Tom Clancy's OP CENTRE: California ANG HH-60G Pave Hawk and California ARNG UH-60A lifting off from the carrier supposedly in the Med for strike on the Russian gang holding stolen nuclear warheads

Tom Clancy's Clear and Present Danger: MH-60A from 2nd or 3rd BN 160th SOAR.
Civil Bell 412EP.Theres a bit at beginning where Jack Ryan is watching the tv with the President on tv walking towards a VIP Huey....looks like the white topped VIP Huey of the 12th Aviation Bn at Davison AAF, Fort Belvoir.

Tom Clancy's Patriot Games : FBI bell 206b Jetranger with HRT at end, bad guys Sikorsky S-55 flying in the desert, SAS Bell 204 flying into assault terrorist camp and EMS BK-117 that flew in Jack Ryans wife and daughter to hospital.

Tom Clancy's Hunt for the Red October: USN SH-3H and SH-60B

Under Siege: COlumbia Helicopters KV-107 in movie disguise as USN CH-46

Toy Soldiers: Virginia ARNG AH-64A Apache and UH-60. At the beginning when the narco terrorists led by Andrew Divoff pushes the Columbian judge out of the helo, think it was a Bell 212.

Navy SEALS: Spanish Navy SH-3D dolled up in USN titles, (also filmed aboard aircraft carrier Principe de Austrias when the SEALS are having their debrief, look out for the Spanish Navy squadron patches on the ceiling). Also Bell 204 used in SEALS training, though wonder if that might be HH-1K as the predecessors to HCS-4 and HCS-5 being Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 3 and 4 still had the Hueys till 1989/1990 before being replaced by HH-60H as the movie was released 1990.

License to Kill: HH-65A Dolphin USCG and AS-350B

The Rescue: RNZAF UH-1H and some civil Bell 212 as North Korean bad guy

Bat 21, Royal Malaysian Air Force S-61 Nuris as supposedly the Jolly Greens, and Bell 212 (don’t know who that belonged to)

Full Metal Jacket: Bristows Westland Wessex dolled up as USMC H-34

The Fourth Protocol: Bristows S-76 dolled up in black SF paint and RAF roundels

chopper2004
8th Dec 2011, 13:06
Another film of which the aerial action scenes filmed in Czech Republic and the airbase Which had tarp covered Mig 21 in the hangars, has a trio of AS365N decked out in USAF markings and camouflage.

I doubt there were many Czech registered AS365 back in 96/97 but were they provided directly by Eurocopter?

Who provided the aerial filming for this?

Cheers

chopper2004
5th Jan 2012, 21:24
Happy New Year all :)

Just watching my other half's classic Dr Who collection of Jon Pertwee The Green Death and theres a scene where theres a Hughes 269 dropping grenades on the bugs in the mining camp.

Does anyone know who flew or owned the 269 for that episode/

Cheers

AnFI
5th Jan 2012, 22:54
.... .....

chopper2004
1st Apr 2012, 16:41
As its the centenary of the Titanic going down along with documentaries and drmatic reconstruction on BBC1 and ITV, I'd thought post these screen dumps from my iTunes library as I had bought Raise the Titanic. Sadly I watched the film as a kid before reading the book and would have liked the inclusion of the stand off between the SEALs and the Russian marines in the film and also make Richard Jordan's Dirk Pitt character as Clive Cussler did, ex USAF major rather than ex Naval intel.

Though good to see the classic Navy SH-3H in the movie, supporting the USS Denver.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/Raise_the_Titanic_H3_landing.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/Raise_the_Titanic_H3_landing_titanic.jpg

The two Hueys (204 and 205) decked out as the Russian airframes reminded me of the OPFOR JUH-1M and JUH-1H used at the NTC :)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/Raise_the_Titanic_Prevlov_uh1b_landing_andrei_vyborg.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/Raise_the_Titanic_Prevlov_uh1h_landing.jpg

And hadn't forgotten Cougar's S-61N in Titanic delivering the old lady and her granddaughter to the salvage vessel in the beginning of the movie. I knew the then VP of ops for Cougar who provided to A/C for the producer :ok:

chopjock
2nd Apr 2012, 20:23
chopper2004, you have spotted that pic of a heli hovering over the stern is a toy model, right?

md 600 driver
2nd Apr 2012, 21:39
zishelix

looks highly probable that its a ex uk mil gazelle and a ht2 or 3 by the 2 aerials under the cabin

500 Fan
6th Apr 2012, 23:25
Capricorn One wasn't too bad. It has a good cast, a pretty reasonable story line and gave all the conspiracy theory types their first taste of "Black Helicopters".

Telly Savalas steals the show though with his portrayal of a slightly angry crop duster pilot. His initial encounter with Elliot Gould's character is one of the highlights of the film and is brilliantly funny. Perverts!

500 Fan.

SuperF
10th Apr 2012, 04:47
"Shaker Run", anyone?

Basically a car chase around New Zealand with a Pink Firebird (I think). Has a few good helicopter clips in it. Its from about mid 80's, there was a bit where a whole lot of police/bad guys? cant remember, disembarke AS350s in the hover at the top of the Queenstown Gondola, and then the end of the movie they hook it onto a 214 and fly the car, driver and pax off a cliff in Wellington.

The original plot just had the helicopter appear with a line, hook on and go, but once the producer heard a 214 coming from 20 miles away and then do a standard Ag turn, he decided to add that into the movie.

From memory most of the helicopter flying in it was live, and quite realistic, quite a change from most movies...

Tickle
10th Apr 2012, 04:49
I watched The Gauntlet on the weekend, great classic film with Clint Eastwood as a good cop trying to survive being taken out by other corrupt cops.

There's a Gazelle flown by the same guys from Blue Thunder which comes along and pursues him and his protected witness on a bike through canyons until they come to grief in a most dramatic ending.

Looks like they used an old Gazelle airframe or built an entire mockup to do the crash. They got the sound right, too!

BigMike
10th Apr 2012, 05:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECl7T1ODPEQ

Plenty of 300 and 206 flying... and a 500 of course (it is NZ after all....;) )

chopper2004
27th Nov 2012, 17:05
Eat your heart out, Tom Cruise fans :) if anyone was around Trafalgar Square the other day :)

http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/trafalgar-square-at-a-standstill-as-tom-cruise-lands-his-helicopter-for-blockbuster-movie-8351710.html

Cheers