PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 - airshow

Kiting for Boys
25th Jul 2004, 21:14
Taking my daughters to Leuchars again this year.

And I’m writing to Ministers and MPs as we speak to complain about the cuts.

But who chose September 11th?

Slotback
26th Jul 2004, 22:02
Are we to stop carrying out events on dates that are the annivesaries of atrocities etc? Is that not another way of giving in and providing an, albeit small, victory to the terrorists?

And what better to remember 9/11 with people and at a base that is actively involved in protecting the country from terrorists such as those who attacked the twin towers.

By the way the Battle of Britain air day is based on celebrating/ commemorating the sacrifices 'The Few' made to help secure your freedom - a tradition that continues today.

Yeager's Lovechild
26th Jul 2004, 23:40
But who chose September 11th?

Nearest Saturday to Battle of Britain Day.

For the Few.

Impiger
27th Jul 2004, 17:33
I think you'll find that the Leuchars Airshow is always on the second Saturday of September. This may or may not be the nearest Saturday to Battle of Britain day which is 15 September. The official commemoration of the Battle takes place on the first Sunday after the 15th not the nearest Sunday.

The organisers spotted the 9/11 date coming 2 years ago and sought approval to go ahead. It was duly given based on the same reasoning as Slotback's views above with which I concur wholeheartedly.

Hope it is a good Show. :ok:

TyroPicard
27th Jul 2004, 20:34
Just been reading about the BOAC 707, Mount Fuji, 1966 - that was BOAC 911.

And the 911 is Stuttgart's finest.

Any more coincidences out there?

TP