PDA

View Full Version : Comair Interviews

KASAC 7
25th Jul 2004, 19:55
Anyone been to one of these recently? I am preparing for one and could do with some pointers as to what they ask on the day?!

beechbum
26th Jul 2004, 06:43
Comair interviews are generally relaxed affairs but obviously know your stuff it is not such a grilling as it used to be. Be familiar with high speed flight, buffet margins - very important on the 73. Mach Tuck etc etc. Study up the Jeppesen and AWOPS. When is your interview?
Most importantly, don't b:mad: t the interviewers, be yourself and honest. The usual interview stuff!!!!!
Anyway good luck.............

KASAC 7
26th Jul 2004, 18:43
Thanks Beechbum, much appreciated! Interview on Thursday.

SubsonicMortal
29th Jul 2004, 19:31
Hi Kasac

I believe today was the big day? Do you mind sharing your interview experience with us?

I'm sure a lot of fellas would be grateful.

Regards!

:ok:

Gimbal
30th Jul 2004, 18:59
:yuk: It seems Comair have different recruitment standards for different people. The following factors are taken into consideration :

1. If daddy knows someone
2. If you wear a skirt
3. If you're white

If you meet any of the above stringent requirements you may score yourself a fluffy conversion with just 500 hours total time.

Otherwise for everyone else at least 2000 hours with 1000 hours multi engine.

Good luck ! And Godspeed !

KASAC 7
30th Jul 2004, 19:26
The minimums you described last are more or less correct, 2000+ hours total time with turbine time.

The interview was very relaxed but extremely professional. The usual topics were covered, ie. AWOPS, high speed flight, a few questions from the Jep, and the usual company history and personal questions. All in all, it was a slick operation.

The psycho analysis was a mind bender and took about three hours. Left my head spinning and I was thank full I had a few hours between this and the actual interview.

Hope this is of interest!

Cue Ball
30th Jul 2004, 20:05
Hey KASAC 7

Do you have any idea of the number of new recruits Comair are are expecting to take, and on which aircraft do they need them?All the best man I hope you make it.:ok:

George Tower
30th Jul 2004, 22:13
Gimbal ,

Are you making allegations that there is discrimination going on at Comair and therefore emulating the national carrier in this regard?

SubsonicMortal
30th Jul 2004, 22:58
Howzit Kasac!

Good to hear you had a pleasant interview experience. Holding thumbs for you mate!

Do you know how many people they were planning on taking on this intake?

:ok:

Captain Magic
31st Jul 2004, 04:31
Now now ladies lets not get our panties in a twist ie Mrs GT. Mr Gimbal, in my humble and mortal opinion {that no one usually gives a S..t about} is correct and Comair does have their favorites or rather thier "prefered candidates. Or at the very least it did. It is not my choice as a good place to work but to all those out there that want to get in there best of luck to you. I know that they had some right "A"holes there but I have heard lately thet things have changed.

Good luck.

cm

KASAC 7
2nd Aug 2004, 09:21
They are taking four guys now and interviewed eleven. Sim check tomorrow for those that made it through, then its crunch time! The positions are on the fluffy (B737).

Bravo190
3rd Aug 2004, 11:42
keep us posted KASAK!

A.FLOOR
3rd Aug 2004, 13:16
Do you remember any of the names of those who sat on the selection panel ?

Gimbal
3rd Aug 2004, 20:27
:mad: Comair will never change !

beechbum
4th Aug 2004, 08:41
Gimbal, am curious! Why do you think they will never change. I believe that they are making efforts to rid themselves of their past misdemeanours.You seem a little bitter about it all!!!!
Kasac, how did the sim go?

togabutton
4th Aug 2004, 13:27
I spent a most enjoyable year at Comair flying the B737-200 from July2001 to June 2002 before moving abroad to take advantage of an opportunity that came my way. I can honestly say it was the best flying job I had from a satisfaction point of view and the guys and gals I flew with were superb. I would most likely still be working there had I not been motivated to leave by a once in a lifetime opportunity. I actually enjoyed going to work!

I could go on and on, but one memory I recall strongly was the very professional manner in which my interview process was handled - mutual respect. I left the interview with the notion that even were I unsuccessful, I would still regard the company very highly. This was in stark contrast to my experience with the 'BIG WIGS' at the national carrier who insulted and belittled me to the extent that I even contemplated a change of career. Suffice it to say that I never applied to the national carrier again.

No company is perfect and that includes my present overseas employer too, but I think Comair's strength was its flight crew (cockpit and cabin). Best wishes to all who pursue a career there.

Antman
4th Aug 2004, 14:43
I agree with TogaButton.I was with Comair for just short of 7 years March'96 to October'02. Started on the FK27 as an F/O and left as B737 Captain.I'm a self improver Civilian trained pilot with no family history in aviation at all so don't understand Gimble's gripe.
I only ever considered leaving to join Emirates which is what I did.
I'll tell you another thing the training I got at Comair was the best I've ever had and I was very very happy there and like Toga I enjoyed going to work with the great flight crew there.
Tell you what with the way things are here at the moment I sometimes think I made the wrong choice!!!

KASAC 7
4th Aug 2004, 20:26
Thanks for the positive comments guys! The sim went well and I start on September the first! BTW the guys on the panel that I can remember (sorry my name recall is not great when nervous), Rudi Mesch, Andre le Uys, a lady Captain and one other male but I can't remember the names. I hear that Martin Louw sat in on some of the interviews but he had left when I arrived.

4HolerPoler
4th Aug 2004, 23:34
Congrats KASAC - sounds like you're joining a good company. Best wishes & happy flying.

4HP

Deanw
5th Aug 2004, 07:27
Just want to echo 4HP, congrats KASAC 7 :ok:

Great to hear of a Ppruner succeeding in the tough quest to drive a bunsen burner :D

KASAC 7
5th Aug 2004, 19:53
Thanks Guys! Much appreciated!

Gimbal
9th Aug 2004, 18:28
Well done Kasak7.

I'm curious to know though, and I'm not being cynical in any way, but when you sent your CV off to Comair, was it sent purely on WHO you are, being an arbitary com/ATP pilot, and selection was based on a fair set of standards which genuinely tested your skills and knowledge ??
Or alternatively was your selection and recruitment spiced up by someone you knew on the inside?

Do tell ... this might give me some hope that this outfit is changing, although I still don't see this happening, as all the positive comments were given by guys who've resigned!
:{

KASAC 7
9th Aug 2004, 19:19
Basically, you need to know someone in the company to recommend you. This does NOT guarentee you an interview but increases your chances. Once you get an interview it is up to you. No amount of lobbying by your friends will get you the job if you don't perform at the interview and sim assessment. That can be confirmed by those that have not been selected. I found the standards to be on par with other interviews I have attended although the technical questions were not as in depth as the majors like Cathay.

Gimbal
9th Aug 2004, 19:26
I rest my case !

Goldfish Jack
9th Aug 2004, 21:48
Gimbal

One does not need to be a rocket scientist to see you must have failed a previous interview there, or you rubbed someone off and they are not interested in you.

They have made huge strides over the years and certainly are not a small company any more. They have a truly great management structure and I would not mind working for some of their managers. They must be doing something right if they are the best BA franchise iro flight ops for the last 3-4 years.

They certainly are very pro-active when it comes to getting involved in ATS matters and from an ATC point of view they really are pretty professional.

I know several of their ex-pilots that left for greener pastures afield and would give anything to be back at Comair.

To togabutton and Antman - glad to hear things are going well over the seas and far away.

KASAC 7 - hope it goes well and you start flying there soon - if you get in you would have joined a great company and you are in for a great time - there are some :mad: hot operators there and you will certainly learn a hell of a lot from them and have some great fun flying with them. I know I have jump-seated many times with them and I have never been anything less than utterly impressed with their operation.

REAL ORCA
10th Aug 2004, 11:16
Thanks Goldfish, your next free ticket is on its way:ok: :}

ANVAK
10th Aug 2004, 15:02
Well said Goldfish!
Some advice for Gimbal from none other than Bill Gates: "Life is not fair - get used to it."
We were all there once - perceverance (lots of it) and positive attitude is what's needed.

Goldfish Jack
15th Aug 2004, 05:15
Hey Orca long time no hear - thanks for the tickets will use them soon!!!!

Heard the Boss is over in the US of A looking for sum B737-300s and another MD80. To replace the good old basics and sum additions to the fleet.

Shame saw ZSSBR down here last weekend - is that the last time we are going to see her down here - my word that aircraft has done well!!

ps Some of my colleagues have been to and from JS recently and travelled in the jumpseats on Comair - heard nothing but good comments from them and they were very impressed with what they saw.

(Hey Orca can I get another ticket now and it is time you came down here again !!! You missed the last bash and Alfred was really hoping to meet you - he wanted to see what a real life whale looked like!!!)

dickyd737
7th Sep 2004, 20:15
seems gimbal doesnt have what it takes to get into comair, sour grapes perhaps!

contraxdog
7th Sep 2004, 21:39
Gimbal, please explain to me, because I dont think I understand your post. When you applied to Comair, firstly did or didnt you get to go to the interview?
Secondly, if you did did you, go carriyng the chip on your shoulder, you have at the moment?
Thirdly , if you did did you expect to be treated differerently because you are a person of colour?
Fourthly, were you the most suitable candidate for the post?
Fithly, If you were not, did you expect that, beside the fact that you might not have been Comair should still appoint you because of the fact that you are a person of colour?
Sixth, dont you think that there might be a reason that a company like Comair would reallywant to employ a person like you, after reading your post, I wouldnt?

I am tired of the racially biased employment polisies that gives sad, sad currently advantaged individuals like you the right to claim the race card when you are not making the grade. Expect it mate, like I did, there is always someone more qualified, or experienced that deserves to be chosen, regardless of his colour, above you. Let that be a inspration not a right to shout racisim. Because if you do, you hang the racist nameplate around your own neck, and undo decades of unselfish sacrifices made in the fight of racism.

"....the time has come walrus said to speak of many things, of pirate ships and sealing wax, and cabbages and kings......"

Deanw
8th Sep 2004, 10:14
... besides, I've heard of many companies (and clubs) that will only shortlist candidates that have been recommended by their employees.

May be something along the lines of:

"If one of our employees is willing to put his reputation on the line by recommending a friend, then that friend must be worth a look" :hmm:

dickyd737
10th Sep 2004, 09:17
CV's are delivered by whatever method and collected by captain A
He gives the to captain B who enters them into a computer database. The database is asked to draw names according to certain criteria (I can assure you that having a buddy at comair aint one), then references are checked and the people are contacted. To insinuate that those 2 guys are being unfair is the same as accusing them of nopotism, which is a not correct, I know them both, I got in by keeping my cv fresh and working hard. I am not SAAF trained so that arguement is out as well. By the way nor are the 2 captains who handle the cv's.
For all u hopefulls, stay positive and work hard, negativity is destructive and harmfull to yourself only.
I have enjoyed good training and fair promotion as well as made good freinds here. Its a great place to be.

Gutter language removed 4HP

supatiger
11th Sep 2004, 21:57
I happen to be "captain B", dickyd, hope you got our raises.

Comair is a great company, I have had over four great years there, sure there might be greener patures out there but I think Comair is doing it right.

It is certainly the best airline to work for in SA, sure you may not fly much in the way of glass but the collegues really make up for it.

It would seem some people just like to complain, should fellows like Gimbal go through for interview, sour grapes are normally sifted out, Comair does not get a nice bunch of people by just letting any frot fruit thru.

dickyd737
22nd Nov 2004, 20:04
Comair recruiting 12 pilots starting with 4 in Jan and then probably 4 per month till April. Get your CV's in.
probably on the MD80 for jan/feb, then dunno.:ok:

Danjou
17th Jan 2005, 18:11
does anyone know if you have to be a SA citizen to get into Comair? Or is permanent residence good enough?

Solid Rust Twotter
17th Jan 2005, 18:47
Permanent res should be OK. I guess they need someone who won't offend the immigration types and be asked to leave...:ok:

square leg
17th Jan 2005, 20:25
Supatiger,

Shouldn't it be "any frot fruit fru" in true SA lingo?

i.e. I fru the ball.

:D

sanook
18th Jan 2005, 02:22
I was luckily enough to be at Comair in the eighties. I had a very good few years there. Training was excellent and I made many friends. A few were still around when I went back last year to see your new Ops centre. I moved on and ended up at CX as a 747 skipper. So a great place to start and nice bunch of people !!
Good luck to all you whom are trying to get in and well worth it!

kobus
23rd May 2006, 16:47
Hello world!

Any tips on what to expect for a Comair Interview? Questions? Past experiences? Tips on Psycho. tests?

:ok: Thank you.

Mark J B
25th May 2006, 17:56
Hi Kobus

Do you have an interview date or are you just hopeful?

Q4NVS
25th May 2006, 19:38
Doubt whether they will be having Interviews shortly, except if they are planning to take quite a number of people from their current shortlist...

Know they have a shortlist of 18 Candidates - numbers 1 & 2 were just employed, effective 1st May 2006. This after spending 13 months on the shortlist.

Things can change quickly though, especially if more decide to go fly shiny new metal based in the Sandpit :D

ampk
27th May 2006, 05:16
Does this mean comair 7 now???

Cheers from AARON in OZ

Circe1
31st May 2006, 11:22
Gimbal what a W****R!
Congratulations to all who made it, enjoy being with a fair and reasonable company.
I have no connections with any heavies or ever have worked for them, However I know quite a few of the drivers and a nicer bunch of fellows you have yet to meet.
Makes the airline across the road (yes i did work for them for a long time) look like amateurs fumbling around in the dark. (Not the pilots fault).
Long may Comair go from strength to strength
:) :) :)