PDA

View Full Version : major question

alpar80
25th Jul 2004, 17:20
Im not sure if I am in the right area of this forum to be posting this question but this seemed the most logical place seeing that the header states professional pilots post here. I am a 23 year old college grad undergoing flight training in a pt.141 academy. The training I am recieving is intense, thorough, and quite expensive. The dilemma I have is if this is the best route for me. I want to get to the airlines in the quickest time possible with the least hours however, the money I am spending is outrageous ($16,000 on private alone). The training I am receiving will get me there in less hours than a pt. 61 opp however, it really isn't gaurenteed. I just don't want to be $80,000 in the hole, no job, searcing the yellow pages for FBOs to accept me with my few hours. I spoke with some people the other night who said the airlines are looking for hours and that I am wasting my money. I thought this was the best route, now I'm boggled! Please help, if anyone knows the best route to the airline is this the way to go? BTW the school is Delta Connection Academy in Florida.

Charlie Zulu
25th Jul 2004, 18:18
Hi Alpar80,

$16,000 for a private certificate?

That is a tad expensive for the UK never mind the USA where you live!!! Are you doing your certificates in conjunction with a degree program at somewhere like Embry Ridle University in Daytona?

There are plenty of schools around in the USA that are Part 141 approved.

The school which I used for my FAA IR (Part 141) and CPL (Part 61) got me through both for around $11,000 (a little under but I did have over 400 hours before starting them). The multi (Part 61) was $3,500 a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway I reckon you will require the following certificates:

PPL
IR
CPL Single (So you can get your initial CFI)
CPL Multi (including IR privilages)
CFI
CFII
MEI (for some valuable Multi time!)

Then work as an instructor to build hours. Nearing 1500 hours study for and take the ATP written test, doesn't matter which type 135 or 121(?), it won't be on your certificate. Then the ATP checkride. Then the airliens should be quite interested in you... (in theory).

** Edited to say: Oops, just re-read your post and noticed you go to Delta Academy... in Homer Simpons style... D'oh! **

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Charlie Zulu
25th Jul 2004, 22:54
I forgot to say earlier that the Airlines in the USA tend to like experience and a full ATP before taking people on. This means most candidates for the airlines will have around 1500 hours anyway.

So obtaining your FAA certificates in the minimum allowable for part 141 training will see you having a lot of time as a flight instructor.

Personally I'd do the Part 61 type of courses as it allows a little more flexibility but if you go to a Part 141 school and train under Part 61 it'll be the same basic course structure.

teedub
25th Jul 2004, 23:24
alpar80?

were you the guy at wolfies fri night???

didn't meet you but heard the conversation??

16k sounds like a lot for the private....

my advice is somewhat old school and not to be taken as gospel but rather food for thought....

ok you need three things to be an airline pilot (if you excluded a deluded mind)

licenses, hours and contacts

you know the order in which you gotta get them but think about these key factors.....

experience and type of flying

get some tailwheel time....perfects real stick and rudder skills which will never never not help you even in a jet!!!....get your ifr ticket after your ppl then commercial and start flying jumpers/towing banners/teaching initial ppl vfr students etc...florida is ripe for opps in these areas.....work on your mel and cfii/mei tickets in conjunction with building quality time on the job then progress into the cfii/mei teaching enviroment....you want to get in the right seat asap....understandable...but be a little patient.....you say you are 23 which gives you years to build your skills/networks and contacts which are very important....be wary of time building opps in the right seat of regionals/small operators.....spending two or three years in the right seat of a turbo prop might make you think you'll never get anywhere but the experience you will get will again be invaluable.....and yes the pay will suck.....puerto rico has opps for multi guys who have 100hrs.....135 single pilot island hops and the mail......

thought about internships???....

basically I wouldn't throw all my money at any flight school...especially if they cost me 16k for a private............take your time and invest wisely.....remember experience can not be bought only earned...

hope this helps a bit and if you were the guy at wolfies you owe me a beer

teedub

alpar80
26th Jul 2004, 04:04
yeah that was me at wolfies, and yes the mind is quite deluded. Are you saying that there are other ways of getting into that right seat? To tell you the truth, if I had it my way, which I do I would be flying bush planes up north but I don't have the hours to do that. I am quite worried that the money I'm spending is way too much for a job that I might not be gaurenteed. To put it bluntly I don't want to screw up an oppertunity here. What would you recommend I do?? I am pretty much finished with my instrument, next step is commercial and probably another $18000. I am just damn worried that i am being stiffed. Do you know of any places I could build time up north??

Alex

Next time you're at Wolfies the beer's on me! :yuk: