PDA

View Full Version : Speedbird Logo

Terror_is_firmer
25th Jul 2004, 14:53
Hi all,
I'm building a website that charts the history of British Airways right from the start to the present day.

Imperial Airways introduced the "Speedbird" logo in 1932 which was designed by a chap called Theyre Lee-Elliot and no matter how much I search the internet, I cant find any history on how this logo came to be.

If anyone can help me with this, I would be most greatful

Cheers in advance

Terror_is_firmer
26th Jul 2004, 12:41
Thanks for the link. Its a very useful website. Still no luck with Mr Lee-Elliott though:confused:

TwinAisle
28th Jul 2004, 14:12
I read somewhere that Theyre Lee-Elliot played table tennis for England, as well as being a graphic artist... might be a lead there if you search on table tennis??

TA

PaperTiger
28th Jul 2004, 15:46
Google gives me about 30 hits on Theyre Lee-Elliot, including one to this fascinating site (http://www.imperial-airways.com) of Imperial Airways memorabilia including some early Speedbird renditions.

PaperTiger
28th Jul 2004, 17:03
Probably because the chappie's name is/was Lee-Elliott, Mike ;)

Google is a bit literal at times.

Terror_is_firmer
28th Jul 2004, 18:07
Yeh I found the Imperial Airways site. Good reading it is aswell. Mr Lee-Elliott's work can be found quite easily on google, but try searching for the history of the speed bird device (trust me I've looked) and there doen't seem to be a lot documented about why the design was chosen or how they came to that design.

Cheers for all the help though and i'll give BA archives a buzz and see what they have.

Cheers again