PDA

View Full Version : Which RAF Stations will Go.

Styron
25th Jul 2004, 10:47
Which RAF Bases to Close.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously Lyneham, Coltishall and the minor bases such as Boulmer and Neatishead have already been announced.

Eurofighters will now only operate from Conningsby and Leuchars rather than the three bases which were initially identified, with Leeming's future left unclear.

RAF St Mawgan looks destined for closure with the last of the operational units being moved to RAF Valley.

Other bases which could see cuts include the Defence Logistic Organisations
bases at Wyton, Brampton and Henlow with the DLO Work being transferred to Bath, Photo Inteligence from Brampton going to Waddington and Henlow's and Halton's training facilities being transferred to Cosford and Cranwell.

The RAF Personnel and Training Command at RAF Innsworth is also to be closed and amalgamated with strike command at RAF High Wycombe.

There is a high probability that Cottesmore and Wittering will be amalgamated and RAF Honnington will remain as the RAF Regiments HQ.

RNAS Yeovilton could house the new Joint Helicopter Units and may also become a permament base for the Royal Marines, although Lyneham has also been mentioned as a possible Royal Marine base as has HMS Dryad.

Other bases which could also be closed include the UAS bases which are rumoured to now be based in two central locations (this may see the closure of many UAS bases such as Woodvale, Church Fenton and Wyton), whilst SAR Squadrons will have their maintenance put out to tender.

The two Scottish Stations im Morayshire will see cuts and there will be decreased number of Nimrods RAF Kinloss which will see a substantial cut in manpower.

In London RAF Northolt is to be the main operating base for London with Uxbridge, Bentley Priory and other units all closing.

RAF Shawbury is unlikely to close (although it's role is being reviewed), as it was initially chosen ahead of Culdrose and the Army Air Corp base at Middle Wallop to house the Defence Helicopter Training School and because it also maintains a unique airframe cooling system.

RAF Aldergrove in Northern Ireland will also see some helicopters withdrawn as part of the peace process.

Front Seater
25th Jul 2004, 11:46
Sounds about right to me - but here we go again with another anxious wait for Servicemen and their families. Why on earth didn't the Politicians and Blimps get their act together and do it all in one fail swoop, rather than penny packet it (rhetorical question as I know the political answer why!). Please don't say not enough time, how many visits and years does a 'working group' need to rationalise Defence estates?

The 'roller coaster' of Service life hey and the hits just keep on coming! The good thing is that we will probably be out of the country, so the wife can do the move! (joke! :D )

Jobza Guddun
25th Jul 2004, 14:00
"Why on earth didn't the Politicians and Blimps get their act together and do it all in one fail swoop, rather than penny packet it"

Cos they haven't got the balls. Frightened of the "right, that's it" mentality becoming widespread instead of within dissaffected individuals.

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
25th Jul 2004, 14:40
Obviously Lyneham

I wouldn't bank on Lyneham closing quite so soon.

The review that came up with Lyneham closing in 2012 was carried out with information given before they did a whole load of work on the C130K.

That is, the C130K is now likely to be in service well beyond 2012.

Officially, the line is that Lyneham will close in 2012 regardless. (So they're going to have to put the K fleet somewhere)

Rumours, and attitude at Lyneham are as follows, (we are told nothing)

Work goes on as usual.

There is no sign of plans to move the J's to Brize quite yet!

C130 K Mk3A's in service 'til 2020 ?

Most common comment is 'It won't happen in my lifetime' (meaning career)

Work goes on as usual.

PS. The C17 is so good at transporting large amounts of stuff that Brize can't cope and send the odd one to Lyneham to use our Movers!

pr00ne
25th Jul 2004, 15:09
Styron,

You won’t fit all that is at Odiham, Benson and Dishforth in Leeming, it’s simply not big enough, lacks hangars etc, etc. The Chinook fleet could well make the move, leading to Odiham closing.
Topcliffe is just up the road from Leeming so if the Army don’t need that there is the possibility of a twin base.

100 Sqn, the UAS and a Rock Sqn are already at Leeming don’t forget.

Wyton, Brampton and Henlow also have far too much to fit in at Bath, it’s a fairly restricted site and not exactly cheap! Likewise there is an awful lot at Halton that wouldn’t fit at Cosford, don’t forget that they have tried to close Halton once before and came a bit of a cropper over who the land reverts to.

Yeovilton could provide a home for the JHC rotary fleet from Benson, although there’s a lot at Benson in addition to helicopters!

I think Benson is the most likely to close, followed by Odiham and St.Mawgan.

It’s all speculation though, why on earth this couldn’t have been announced at the same time as everything was on Wednesday is a bit of a mystery.

SirPeter etc etc,

Don’t be too sure about no work going on to move the J to Brize!

A400M will sound the death knell of the K, they have 8 years to sort it out.

Styron
25th Jul 2004, 15:33
Yes I agree with you on most of your points, although Wattisham could also take Helicopters.

As for moving training it wouldn't all go to Cosford, some enginnering training could be moved to St Athan, whilst other units could go to Cranwell.

As for the DLO bases it has been made clear that large cuts will go ahead and also that training establishments face amalgamation

As for Yeovilton it would make a good JHC base, but at present with further Naval cuts and the scrapping of much of the FAA's roles including Sea Harrier, it is looking increasingly at risk.

Finally the Review was not full announced because Geoff Hoon is hoping to get moved in the upcoming cabinet reshuffle as he has made it clear that he is unhappy at the MoD.

Geoff has therefore left his predessor to be the bearer of bad news.

Grimweasel
25th Jul 2004, 16:30
Sending the CH47's to Leeming would not be a sound idea because the main user is not anyone based up in Catterick.
16 Air Assault is based in Colchester and therfore one could argue that Honnington or Wattisham would be a better base for them?

Odiham is prime time real estate and no-wonder the MoD wants to sell it off to developers. Even better why not commision the builders yourself and then make even more cash for the mod by selling off the individual houses?

Styron
25th Jul 2004, 16:51
Does any one else have any ideas about which stations will go.

BATS
25th Jul 2004, 17:43
Interesting debate, but no-one has mentioned where JSF/JCA will fit into the future picture. Given the numbers we are allegedly signed up to buying they will likely exceed the capacity of one base. Anyone got any ideas ?

Jackonicko
25th Jul 2004, 17:52
Benson? Everyone keeps saying it, but it's insane. It's the nearest airfield to Strike. The nearest airfield to London for London UAS (the largest) and associated AEF activity. The Puma fleet has been repreived. Benson has refurbished hangars, much new infrastructure and all the sims. It is worth 'eff all because most of it reverts back to the owners, it's green belt and on the edge of the Chiltern area of outstanding natural beauty so development is impossible. It's also relatively well placed for Brize, Colchester and the Salisbury Plain........

Whereas Coltishall, Leeming, Leuchars, Lossie, Northolt, Yeovilton, Netheravon, Middle Wallop, and Dishforth all look more dodgy.

Styron
25th Jul 2004, 17:56
I suppose Cottesmore, Wittering and Yeovilton would be most likely to house the JSF.

As for my personal view and if they are to reduce Eurofighters why not close Lossiemouth and move the aircraft there to Leeming.

Kinloss could then host visiting squadrons who wished to train in the Scottish Highlands.

It just seems a little surreal having those two bases in the middle of no where at a time of such major closures.

pr00ne
25th Jul 2004, 18:02
Bats,

Cottesmore for JSF, if there’s any overspill Wittering is just down the road, they already operate partially as a twin base supporting the Harrier force.

JN,

Why is Benson’s proximity to Strike of any relevance? Booker is rather closer but that still closed!
London UAS is at Wyton and why do you need TWO military airfields close to London when you have Northolt?
Are you SURE it’s green belt? Prescott’s development plans for Oxfordshire over the next ten years call for thousands upon thousands of new homes…………………

Jackonicko
25th Jul 2004, 18:30
Proooone.

Yes, I'm sure it's green belt.

The new houses for Oxfordshire will all be at Didcot/Bicester/Banbury - not where they're needed, silly.

I hear murmurs of London UAS moving back to join Oxford and the AEF activity.

Benson's already an important comms stop for Strike, and for other local defence related establishments.

BEagle
25th Jul 2004, 18:39
OK - you didn't hear this from me, but I can reveal that the following will probably close:

Acklington
Alconbury
Andover
Ballykelly
Bassingbourn
Binbrook
Bovingdon
Brawdy
Driffield
Elvington
Fulbeck
Gaydon
Gravely
Greenham Common
Lindholme
Little Rissington
Manby
North Luffenham
Oakington
Ouston
Pershore
St Davids
Spitalgate
Stradishall
Strubby
Swinderby
Tangmere
Ternhill
Thorney Island
West Raynham.....

But that's all I'll tell fishing journos...the rest you'll have to find out for yourself ;)

jack-oh
25th Jul 2004, 18:41
I have heard a rumour that the JSF is so noisy that the likelihood of it going to Whittering, following the recent noise pollution court case, is now looking dodgy. Equally, although an announcement has been made that the VSTOL variant is the one we want, problems have occurred in its design and there remains the possibility the purely naval version will be looked at again. This leaves the decision of where to base them when they come on line. For many reasons including: airspace, training areas, noise, access to the sea for embarkation, twin bases (due to numbers and servicing requirements) etc, etc. both Yeovilton and St Mawgan as well as Lossiemouth and Kinloss have been mentioned as alternatives to Cottesmore and Whittering. Again, this is all rumour and the DART report due out in the New Year will hopefully put to bed all of this conjecture.

Ps

St Mawgan will never close as it hardly costs the MOD anything to run. That is why it has managed to survive countless cutbacks in the past whilst still on the surface having only 4 helicopters based there.

RonRandom
25th Jul 2004, 18:57
The STOVL variant of JSF isn't really what we want - it's what the harrier mafia at the top of the RAF want, and what the politicians want. The forces want something with decent bring-back, ie the conventional version. The new carriers will be designed for, but not fitted with, the cats and arrestor gear required - but it's not too late to bite the bullet and go for the full monty version. That way we get sea-based jets with good load capacity when there's no shore option, and land-based jets with good load capacity when HNS is available. Hmmmm....

pr00ne
25th Jul 2004, 19:20
BEagle,

Also rumoured to be for the chop as full blown RAF stations;

Abingdon
Aston Down
Bicester
Biggin Hill
Bishops Court
Catterick
Chivenor
Church Fenton
Colerne
Debden
Dishforth
Duxford
Finningley
Hawkinge
Hullavington
Hornchurch
Kemble
Leconfield
Martlesham Heath
Mountbatten
North Weald
Old Sarum
South Cerney
St Eval
Thornaby
Topcliffe
Waterbeach
West Malling
Worksop

Can’t see it myself………………………………….

(How could you miss out Heaven in Devon?)

A and C
25th Jul 2004, 19:27
I dispair when see the all the arrmed forces taking cuts of this type and with the security situation at the moment it seems a little foolish of the goverment to say the least.

But having been quite close to the forces of late I have to ask how much money is being squandered by the over the top health and safety requirments , people "over specifing" contracts way beond what would be excepted in the commercial world just to ensure that there is not even the remotest chance of any "come back" on them self's if something should go wrong and just good old fashoned lack of commercial nouse ?.

I know of a number of inccidents but I would not like to make them public for fear of the damaging effect that it might have on my contacts.

This all leads me to think that what is needed is the employment of a "station money saver" pay would only be a percentage of money saved and with a very strict rule that the "sharp end" of the forces should be enhanced by these efforts not suffer because of them and so the efforts should be strictly commercial with the military checking the results , the civil service should NOT be involved as they at the root of most of the day to day waste.

I feel that a lot of people in the defence contract and health & safety industrys may well have a lot to answer for having gold plated contracts over the years.

BEagle
25th Jul 2004, 19:40
Ah well, Chivenor hasn't exactly closed - just been transferred to other occupants.

nimboboy
25th Jul 2004, 23:18
Hi all,
My first post, but a subject close to my heart, St Mawgan must
not close for many reasons, not least its geographical positon,
its along way to the next long runway if you have a bit of a
problem, unless you fancy the barrier at little culdrose!.
Our tone:yuk: stated not so long that three bases would be
enabled for QRA aircraft, this was done at SMG, although not
yet used its there and ready. 203(r) leaving would not affect
the fact SMG caters for many visiting A/C, deployments, and
exercises,mil and civil,lack of the latter by the way would make
SMG not worth selling, even if they could sell it, which they can
not, there is one nearby land owner waiting at the fence
building plans in hand. Back to my first point, only last week
a SHAR made an emergency landing at SMG on a MAYDAY call,
Many A/C have been saved an uncertain fate under similar
circs over years, how much does it cost to keep SMG operating
compared to the loss of 1 A/C,and more importantly those on
board, sorry if Ihave gone on to long, but I better.

Front Seater
26th Jul 2004, 09:53
I reitererate that all of the above is speculation, hearsay and crew room gossip (mostly from the cleaner!). What it does show though is that despite the announcement of the White Paper, yet again, within a week the 'rank and file' return to 'shifting sands' and moving 'goal posts' as we still can't buckle down and do our job because we know that even more change is about to occur.

It is very difficult to muster enthusiasm and passion when there is yet more speculation and rumour, after an already negative 2 year period of anxiety on PPrune and in crew rooms.

Personally I believe that our lords and masters should be more open and honest with us, even if made aware of the options will stop this continued 'eating up from the inside' that is just continuing to occur.

The sooner we all (including families) know where we stand then the quicker we can adjust, adapt and progress these changes to put into place the capabilities that are envisaged. If yet more time is taken to study, debate, decide and eventually announce these other changes and the results of the 'ongoing work', then it is no wonder the morale of Service personnel will continue to be low. However, may I suggest that now is the time to front up with the entire 'way forward' - good and bad - to allow us on the shop floor to get on and make it work.

arfur-sixpence
26th Jul 2004, 10:11
We don´t need airbases, all of our aeroplanes are/will soon be operating overseas on deployments in support of "international police actions".

When one hot spot cools off, the party will just up sticks and move on to the next.

BATCO
26th Jul 2004, 15:29
IMHO most deserve to go...........explanation follows.

I well remember post 'Options' (the only option was get smaller) at the final dinner night the guest speaker (CAS at the time) declaring that '... it was a good thing to close small bases so that we could move on to well appointed super bases.'

Anyone out there care to list our well appointed super bases?

OK so they all (the ones that matter) have a runway - but some (eg LYNEHAM) maybe a tad too short for the A400 all up.

But which ones have sufficient support facilities for our weaponry and people on and off duty (SLA, SFA etcand decent gym, sports pitches, swimming pool, running track, Education Centre - Internet (to PPrune of course), access to schools, doctors, dentists for the Flag Followers. We could all add to this list I'm sure

Answers on a stamp please (and don't put down BIAP - it rains rockets too often!).

:cool: :cool:

BEagle
26th Jul 2004, 15:45
BATCO, under JAR 25 requirements, an A400M at its 2.5g manouevre limited MTOW of 126 500 kg requires a balanced field length of about 1680m at ISA+15 with a wet RW. Even Lyneham's 'bent' short RW has an ASDA of 1826m; the main has an ASDA of 2386m.

So why is Lyneham 'a tad too short' for the Bristol Bureaufreighter?

kaikohe76
26th Jul 2004, 15:57
Always a great pity when any Unit or Station etc is forced to shut down, often just to satisfy the idiotic ideas of those in the MOD and Government circles.
As I understand (and please correct me if I am wrong), both the CDS and CGS appear to think all these cuts are a super idea, of course their knighthoods, lordships and nice fat pensions etc, are all fairly safe I would assume.
However, what are the thoughts of the CAS as regards the proposed cuts for the RAF, he appears to be keeping his head fairly well down. Is it not time for all the really senior military officers to at last show some courage and openly stick up for and defend the wellbeing of all the UK servicmen and families.
Unfortunately it is so easy for the military to be used as a political football and many people only start to be concerned, when there might just be the odd war to be sorted out. So come on chaps, Chief of the Defence Staff, Chief of the General Staff, Chief of the Air Staff & First Lord of the Admiralty. Show some courage and for once forget being ever so correct and speak out against the proposed cuts and speak up loud and clear for the well being of all servive personnel.

Mister Watson
26th Jul 2004, 16:21
Benson.... Don't all the Odiham OCU guys and gals commute (2hrs total) everyday to use the swanky stimulators at Benson?

highveldtdrifter
26th Jul 2004, 16:31
For once I find myself agreeing with Beagle, Airbus were quite miffed by the duff claim that Lyneham is too small for the A400. The thing is designed to fly off 2500 ft strips for gods sake (albeit not at Max AUM). Our leaders were, at best, badly briefed (not uncommon) or maybe economic with the truth to justify a political decision (surely not!).

BEagle
26th Jul 2004, 17:26
I suspect that the silly little Dakota-sized hangars would be the only things at Lyneham 'too small' for the Bristol Bureaufreighter!

One point about SMG. Were it to close, which aerodrome would be used for Bkt 1 Abort Points on trans-Atlantic trails? Culdrose??

Front Seater
26th Jul 2004, 17:37
Mr Watson,

I am sure that the fact that the Odiham crews travel to Benson for their Sim has already been recognised by those conducting the study. The crews already travel 2 hours for the Sim, (as I said Benson is in the ball park between the north (Leeming) and southern (Yeovilton) options, and therefore another hour and a half will not really effect any budgets or flying programmes.

If Benson does remain Defence estate property then with a bit of careful course programming the same pholosophy to Benson can be applied to the use of the Sim at Wattisham, when AAC crews detach from Middle Wallop for a week or so to conduct a consolidated Sim package.

Neil Porter
26th Jul 2004, 18:26
Pity Abingdon was not kept rather than Benson as theres a bloody great hangar (ex Jag maintenance shed known as 'F' Hangar) which would have been excellent to house all Merlins under one roof (whereas at Benson the Merlins were split between 28Sqn Hangar & the next one along sharing with the Tutors cos of lack of space (unless it has changed in the last 18mths)...in fact all of Bensons force of Merlins / Pumas & Tutors could easily been located their and still room to spare.
Thought at the time of Abingdons closure an airfield which had more Hangars (incl the big 'F' Hangar), longer main runway (& a shorter secondary rwy in use), more pan space, good engineering facilities and generally bigger allround would have been the ideal candidate to be a Heli station - & of course not too far away from Salisbury Plain trg area ......ah well the Army have a dam good facility now and are part way through a £34 million pound upgrade i believe.....but at least the RAF still use the place ie: Bensons Heli's !!!

Talking to a few Tutor pilots, they said rwy 01/19 sometimes caused them probs on take off/landing cos of the runway orientation at Benson due to the windy conditons (& i think rwy 06/24 is disused?) wheres as Abingdon you have two options - 18/36 or 08/26 which would have been better..

Styron
26th Jul 2004, 18:47
From a recent Newspaper article

Bases will also be closed. The headquarters of the Jaguar fleet, RAF Coltishall in Norfolk, will go when its 62 strike aircraft are scrapped; other bases earmarked for closure are RAF Wittering in Cambridgeshire, RAF Boulmer in Northumberland and RAF Benson in Oxfordshire. None of Scotland’s three bases – Leuchars, Kinloss and Lossie mouth – is included on the list.

ScapegoatisaSolution
26th Jul 2004, 18:49
I was at St Mawgan on Sep 11th and there were a lot of crews and airlines happy in the knowledge that SMG was still open after they had been turned round mid-Atlantic. In the end no-one needed to use us but at least there was a fallback.

Jackonicko
26th Jul 2004, 19:23
Neil,

Abingdon is increasingly encroached upon by development, making flying ops more and more problematic. Benson is not.
Abingdon is in a part of Oxfordshire earmarked for more intensive development. Benson is not.
Abingdon is owned outright by the MoD and can be sold off if necessary. Benson is not.
Abingdon has not received massive investment in its infrastructure. Benson has.
Benson is 25 minutes by car from Strike, Abingdon is not.

pr00ne
26th Jul 2004, 19:56
Styron,

Wittering? The minor units basing study has just announced that a whole host of units are going to move IN to Wittering, so I think that is one that is safe.
If they can accomodate all the JSF thingies up the road at Cottesmore then the airfield may be closed after the Harrier OCU winds up.

JN,

You really like Benson don't you? Live nearby?

The sad fact is that all the SH assets at Benson could fit into what the SHAR will leave empty at Yeovilton, whereas all that is at Yeovilton will NOT fit into Benson.

As to the sims of MSHATF, that is a PFI so the cost of moving it will be born by the contractor, just like Lockheed will have to pay to move that lovely shiny J sim and Trg complex at Lyneham to Brize!

The UAS could always move back to Abingdon, maybe joined by LUAS?

BEagle
26th Jul 2004, 20:19
Isn't it rather a long way from Woodvale? Or did you mean ULAS, not LUAS?

Abingdon was a perfect UAS base, having 2 excellent runways arranged almost at right angles to each other. Benson has one plus the limited use secondary. Abingdon never had much in the way of noise complaints, Benson is surrounded by rich Nimbys.

Trouble is, Abingdon has since been ruined by the grunts.

pr00ne
26th Jul 2004, 20:28
BEagle,

LUAS, ULAS, not sure what to call it these days, yes I meant the City mob.

A friend of mine was on BUAS, or as they preferred to call it, UBAS, they had a lovely tee-shirt titled " U BA***RDS Air Squadron!

So, is it, for example, Birmingham University Air Squadron, or University of Birmingham Air Squadron?

Isn't there still a VGS at Abingdon? Airfield does seem to be rather active for a grunt base........

HOODED
26th Jul 2004, 21:01
Proone are we not going to need a JSF OCU then? or are you saying that all will fit in at Cott? Given that there will be more ac in total than there are Harriers now I doubt it! Also they are struggling to fit in the heavy maintenance of the Harriers at Cott now that St Athan are loosing the work(to save money). As for Witt I think there is something in a contract about handing the land back to Burley Estate as it was sold and at the price it was bought for! So for £1000 or so you get to spend £Millions to put it back to uncontaminated green fields! Even the penny pinching beancounters will struggle to make that one work. This therefore explains why they are moving units into Witt! Shame they sold off all the quarters recently as they now are struggling to fit them all in. Don't you just love forward planning. This sort of thing is why were in such a state, short term gains cost in the long run. We'll see the contractorisation coming back to bite us in the ar*e shortly when the companies realise they can make bigger bucks from the military as they dont have the manpower to take over the job any more! :ok:

Gingerbread Man
26th Jul 2004, 21:16
I may be being ignorant, but won't closing St Mawgan reduce the SAR capabilities considerably? Now that Boulmer is gone (or is that just a suggestion?), anyone in the Wash who ends up sailing rather than flying is going to have a rather long wait, aren't they? :sad:

Why don't they close Menwith Hill? That's been taken off the map already ;) .

Neil Porter
26th Jul 2004, 21:53
Beags - You Quote "Abingdon was a perfect UAS base, having 2 excellent runways arranged almost at right angles to each other. Benson has one plus the limited use secondary. Abingdon never had much in the way of noise complaints, Benson is surrounded by rich Nimbys.
Trouble is, Abingdon has since been ruined by the grunts."

The Army did ruin it abit yeah ie: Tower now vandalised, & when they first moved in the Army held a series of exercises which for example left the runways lights flattened , churned up grass , debris all over the place etc...but i do know a 'clean up' was carried out especially when the VGS moved in .
Considering its been 12 yrs or so not in full RAF use, the runway surfaces aren't too bad as i have found out running my annual Abingdon Fayre Air days ...and limited runway maintainence is or will be carried out to hopefully keep the surfaces decent... & in general is in reasonable condition overall..
All the runway lamps, traffic lights at hold points & anything else looking dangerous were removed about 4 yrs ago as were a Health & Safety issue...

Your quite right in saying that Abingdon had far fewer noise complaints - thats why for example recently a fare bit of Merlin & Puma night flying has taken place here (& has done in the past)cos Benson were getting a shed load of complaints so this way the noise is 'distributed' around, according to a senior source i spoke to very recently from Benson.

pr00ne - Yep 612 VGS are situated here, have been for around 7-8 yrs i think, so that, Heli activity, the odd Skyvan ,C130 or Let410 on Parachute drops makes it pretty active. Better than a Housing estate!

Pontius Navigator
26th Jul 2004, 22:16
Wittering, the CinC says 20R is staying put but . . .

Simulators:

And the F3 simulator is at Coningsby. The jag simulator will stay at Coltishall etc. Still beats commuting stateside for the Harrier sim as was.

Styron
26th Jul 2004, 22:16
IMO Lossiemouth and Kinloss should be both be cut and amalgamated with only one base surviving.

Morayshire was of strategic importance during the cold war but this threat is no longer relevant.

Whilst I am glad Leuchars is now secure as a future Eurofighter base, I think the argument for keeping two bases in such a desolate and isolated area now that there is little threat is contary to the new quick reaction doctrine.

Jackonicko
26th Jul 2004, 23:00
PrOOne

I live near enough to Benson that my summer nights will be undisturbed when it closes. My house will be worth a good £20,000 more - overnight. But that doesn't make it right to close it. And I can't complain, cos the presence of Benson made my house affordable when I bought it.

From a selfish point of view, close it tomorrow. From a wider perspective, keep it, add to my discomfort by adding Chinooks, etc.

allan907
27th Jul 2004, 02:45
As OC Admin at Benson up until 93 I had a HUGE budget to refurbish the place, hangars, runway, messes etc etc ready for a multiplicity of new units.

Felt sure that it was merely a precursor to closing the place in 94!

BATCO
27th Jul 2004, 04:57
BEagle
Thanx for putting me straight on that. Although I haven't got a fcuking clue what language you're talking (so you know I'm not a pilot). I was exploiting the 'rumour' part of PPRuNe. Next time I'll just get my office colleague to make the tea rather than tell me what's bugging him about basing the EuroHerc. hvdrifter seems to speak your language.

Back to which bases should close..... anyone care to explain how the Yanks can operate 95 x F15 out of Lakenheath? vs maximum base loading at any single RAF station.

And finally.......watching the sun rise over Baghdad on my morning run I thought "Cranwell's got a pool and a running track and a runway or 2'. So maybe that's one for my list. (Note 1 for my list....still waiting for a number 2)

And whilst I at it if PTC goes that leaves STC and nothing else. So STC = RAF. New name for the Hobbit Hole on the Hill?

RIS not RAS
27th Jul 2004, 13:39
Styron,

Couldn’t agree with you more, there is no need whatsoever to keep Lossie and Kinloss. Now that millions has been spent on Kinloss and all of its buildings look nice and new I can’t help feeling that it will be the one for the chop! Lets face it, Lossie needs tens of millions of pounds spending on it to bring it up to a good standard and is (in the case of the Sgts Mess) literally falling apart. Wonder which one they would close?

Styron
28th Jul 2004, 11:23
Totally agree RIS not RAS.

They can not justify cutting or closing Leeming whilst keeping two large stations in the Scottish Highlands.

Surely it would be better to close Lossie and move the GR4's to Leeming.

I also think that Cottesmore and Wittering may be amalgamated on to one site and that Odiham and Benson may be moved to one helicoper site, possibly Yeovilton as part of the JHC.

Here's an article regarding base closure rumours from earlier this year.

BASE CLOSURE RUMOUR MILL ON OVERTIME :

Ever since the announcement of drastic cuts in spending in the Defence White Paper published late last year, rumours have been abound of base closures, type withdrawals and reduction in manpower.

Recently several national newspapers have hinted at some of the cuts, with one report stating that defence chiefs had been told to "expect extreme pain", indicating that the cuts will be the biggest since the end of the Cold War.

Many of the rumours circulating have no foundation, whilst some forecasted closures have come from within the ranks of the RAF itself. If current rumours are to believed, Leeming in North Yorkshire is a prime candidate for possible closure, especially if the Typhoon programme is curtailed. This, coupled with information that Leeming-based 100 Squadron is apparently due to relocate to Scampton, has added fuel to the rumours.

Other bases mooted for closure include Wittering, with the entire Harrier Force being located at Cottesmore; Linton-on-Ouse, with all basic and advanced pilot training being carried out at Valley, but with a possible reduction in aircraft numbers and staffing; Coltishall, with the entire Jaguar fleet being withdrawn; Lossiemouth, with either a relocation of some assets plus a reduction in frontline strength of the Tornado GR.4 force; and Benson or Odiham, with a consolidation of support helicopter assets at either of the two airfields. One base already earmarked for closure is Lyneham, with the Hercules fleet relocating to Brize Norton by the end of the decade.

Bases allegedly "safe" from closure include those which have seen extensive spending on modernisation and infrastructure, such as Coningsby, where the first Typhoon squadrons will be located; Waddington, home of the RAF's Air Warfare Centre as well as the RAF's Sentry and future Sentinel ASTOR squadrons; and Cranwell, home of the RAF College.

However, The Times last week reported on how the defence secretary Geoff Hoon has written to Tony Blair complaining that Treasury demands for a £1.2
billion cut in defence spending plans will put at risk "current and future" military operations. Defence chiefs are understood to have said that spending constraints on the scale demanded by the Treasury would make "current and future operational commitments unmanageable". Such warnings come at a very sensitive time for the Government, not least because Mr Blair has made a priority of maintaining good relations with the Armed Forces throughout the past year.

However, it is possible that suggested cuts might be politically unacceptable, such as a reduction in the number of Eurofighters for the RAF, as Britain is committed to that programme along with Germany, Spain and Italy, and there would be penalties both for the British taxpayer and for industry.

We will all just have to wait and see...........