PDA

View Full Version : Witchdoctor in helicopter crash hunt

Heliport
25th Jul 2004, 10:07
Melbourne Herald Sun Witchdoctor in helicopter crash hunt

MALAYSIA Authorities have enlisted the help of witch doctors in a bid to find seven people who went missing after their helicopter was feared to have crashed in the Borneo jungles nearly two weeks ago, a report said today.

The Sunday Star newspaper said several mediums and local witch doctors have been granted access to Bario, a remote village in eastern Sarawak state, to give their "interpretations and readings" to locate the aircraft and the men.
Local people believe spirits of the dead inhabit the interior jungles and can be tapped through rituals to help locate the seven men, the newspaper said.

"Some of them who said they have supernatural powers have pointed out certain locations where the missing people could be found," Sarawak deputy chief minister George Chan was quoted as saying.

"We do not dismiss their claims. We will use all available resources and explore all possibilities."

Two Australian infra-red experts were enlisted a week earlier in the search and rescue mission and Chan said some 1,000 ground troops as well as aerial teams would continue to comb the areas surrounding Bario and other possible sites.

The helicopter lost contact with air traffic control shortly after noon on July 12 in the Sarawak highlands.

It was carrying five government officials, including an assistant minister of eastern Sarawak state, and Sarawak Electricity Supply Corp chief executive Roger Wong Hwa Puang and a pilot.

steamchicken
25th Jul 2004, 13:48
I think he used to be an airline Finance Director....

WLM
26th Jul 2004, 02:36
They 'r now getting ridiculous. It boils down to the old Asian of "not losing face" to the public:confused:
I posted a report about 10 days about the way the SAR is conducted, a shamble:*
If you read that post, the same Captain that notified the authorities of the SAR mishandling, has now almost pinpointed the crash scene within 5 nm, but the SAR head honcho will not listen to him because it is not within the predicted flightpath (says who??????). You and I know that That Cpt has spent time and personal money for the last 7 days looking, tracking etc, and is adamant he will find the missing helo. I am waiting for my employer to give me the nod so I can help him with our helo.
But really, I just wanted to emphasize the apathy that Malaysia has endoctrinated:mad:
More later

Vfrpilotpb
26th Jul 2004, 11:56
The Witch Doctor and some of his mates may even have had all the people to lunch ( or for lunch):E
Vfr

ppheli
28th Jul 2004, 05:32
no indication of whether the witchdoctor had any influence, but the helicopter is now FOUND:- From this morning's Sarawak Tribune is this report

MIRI – The Hornbill Skyways Bell 206 helicopter that went missing on 12 July has been located yesterday afternoon.It was located at the foot of 7,900-ft Mount Murud, Sarawak’s highest mountain,to the northwest of Pa’ Lungan, about 10 minutes flying time and about four hours on foot from Bario.The trek would involve traversing treacherous terrain and thick virgin jungle. Several ground search parties left early yesterday evening for the site and they will be joined early this morning by others.

This was confirmed last night by Deputy Chief Minister Tan Sri Datuk Amar Dr George Chan, who flew here from Kuching where he attended a special Cabinet briefing on the helicopter mishap, soon after receiving a call from bario that the illfated aircraft had been located.However, Dr Chan could not confirm the fate of the missing passengers and pilot, eventhough the helicopter was reported to be in tact.

The breaking news came 15 days after frantic search involving about 1000 uniformed personnel and voluntary workers in what has been described as the biggest and longest ever search-and-rescue operation.The wreckage of the missing helicopter was spotted from the air at about 5.15pm by members of the SAR team aboard a Hornbill Skways helicopter piloted by Captain Thomas Lim. A video footage of the helicopter taken by a digital camera from the air showed the cockpit glass panel broken, but all the passenger window panels were intact.

The tail of the ill-fated helicopter was not visible from the air as it was covered by thick foliage.Due to poor visibility and bad weather, attempts to send rescue workers by helicopters to the wreckage site had to be called off.Earlier, Director of Internal Security and Public Order, Dato Sri Salleh Mat Som, said he had instructed police in Bario to verify the sighting to avoid any possible false alarm.AThe Hornbill Skyways Hangar here, which was almost empty throughout the day, was quickly filled with anxious family members and friends when news of the discovery spread.