PDA

View Full Version : Embedded documents in MS Word 2000

Genghis the Engineer
24th Jul 2004, 22:34
I don't know if anybody can help with this.

I'm putting together a fairly meaty document (currently 46,000 words, 240 pages, and about 25Mb by the time you've counted all the figures, equations, references, etc. etc. etc.).

In order to avoid my PC grinding to a complete halt, I've set it up using embedded documents. So, most of the time I just edit a particular section which is just a few Mb. This works fine, except...

- Every few days, for absolutely no apparent reason, my master document (which is only about 300kb) suddenly deletes all the links for the sub-documents. Fortunately they are numbered and all in the same directory, so I can correct this reasonably quickly - but the reasons for this odd behaviour are not at-all apparent.

Has anybody else hit this, and more to the point can anybody advise how to stop MS word buggering about with my documents without asking?

Finally, is it true that Quentin Tarantino came up with the title for his last blockbuster "Kill Bill", after the 100th time he saw the message "Microsoft Word has performed an illegal operation and will be closed down" whilst working on the script?

G

Naples Air Center, Inc.
25th Jul 2004, 00:19
Genghis the Engineer,

According to Microsoft:

Custom and built-in properties of a Word document can be lost when a Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) module is present and one of the following conditions is true:

You embed a Microsoft Word document object that contains a VBA module within a Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Word document.

-or-

You add a VBA module to a Word document embedded within Excel or Word.

To resolve this problem, obtain Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1/1a (SR-1/SR-1a):

Office 2000 Service Release 1a (SR-1a) Update - Important Information for Windows 2000 Users (http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/preview.aspx?AssetID=HA010548801033&CTT=6&Origin=EC010553071033)

To temporarily work around this problem, use linked instead of embedded documents.

Take Care,

Richard

Evo
25th Jul 2004, 07:09
I've yet to use a version of Word that can cope with large documents full of embedded images etc. without problems - I wonder how much of the core code actually gets changed between Office versions, because as far as I can tell Word hasn't really improved since Word 95, it just looks different each time...

When I was working on my Master's thesis, Word would randomly turn all the text into a Greek font and then disable Ctrl-Z (Undo) - very annoying when it's a Physics paper and there's supposed to be some Greek in there, so you can't just highlight all the text and turn it back into Times New Roman. Now LaTeX (http://www.latex-project.org/), that's a proper way to do this sort of thing... ;) :O