PDA

View Full Version : running programmes?

lonsdale
24th Jul 2004, 18:25
Would anybody be able to advise me how to find out which programmes are running auto - start - up with win 2k - pro?

Then which ones I really don't need to start until required?
Also how to un-tick them?

regards, lonsdale (formally known as "nooluv" )

p.s. no reply from admin or mod's yet Richard.........

BOAC
24th Jul 2004, 18:32
Your system drive: \WINNT\system32\MSCONFIG2000.EXE. This programme should help.

You can stop things runnng etc with it.

Tuba Mirum
24th Jul 2004, 19:08
Running things at startup happens at more than one level.

Firstly, anything for which a shortcut (or the application itself) is placed in \Documents and Settings\<username>\Start Menu\Programs\Startup will be run as pretty well the last thing in system initialisation. Some startup tasks may also be defined in \Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.

Moving backwards, as it were, there is a second category of definition in the system registry, keyed as HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Run

A third set of definitions can be found under the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Run

As far as I am aware, this covers the gamut of how the user can define startup tasks. I would recommend that if you want to define a startup task yourself, you use the first technique I have listed: the other two are best left to application installs to make use of.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
24th Jul 2004, 20:03
nooluv,

Here is a good resource:

Windows 2000 Professional and Server Services Configuration 411 (http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. If you are not getting any replies from the Mods, try sending Danny a PM. ;)

Evo
25th Jul 2004, 07:11
no reply from admin or mod's yet

They don't let me anywhere near the guts of PPRuNe, so not much I can do i'm afraid. I've sent a PM...

lonsdale
25th Jul 2004, 14:24
Thank's Evo. Still no reply! "nooluv"