PDA

View Full Version : Becoming an airline pilot - is it guaranteed?

markham320
24th Jul 2004, 12:27
Hi, I am student studying A levels and my ultimate goal is to become an airline pilot. However, I am confused on how I should get there. Nowadays, being sponsored from an airline is something very rare.

On the other hand, studying for the licence is very expensive, but eventually, is it worth it? Do the students all get a job? My question is, which JAA school offers the best teaching packages and what are the guarantees of finding a job with an airline?

Thanks a lot,

Markham320

trevelyan
24th Jul 2004, 12:43
Just about the only guarantee I can offer is that if you go to the Professional Pilot Training forum, you will find every answer to just abut every question you might have re this subject..

Good luck.

Ps- the answers "no"

:ok:

Jinkster
24th Jul 2004, 14:28
afraid to say nothing is guaranteed. I would advise buying the book. 'guide to getting a CPL' by clive hughes

jinkster :ok:

the wizard of auz
24th Jul 2004, 14:38
Becoming an airline pilot - is it guaranteed? ===== Heeeeeeeell NO. more likely it wont happen than will.

Old Smokey
25th Jul 2004, 12:52
RTO's response was blunt, to the point, and totally correct.

Might I add that if it is in your nature to look for guarantees in life, aviation is the lousiest of all choices.

If you love aviation, as most of us in this business do, then go for it, but don't go looking for guarantees.

The one absolute guarantee that I CAN give you is that if you do nothing about making your own future happen, nothing will happen at all.

25th Jul 2004, 13:49
Yes it is guarenteed!!! If you want it and make it happen as I did, then clearly it will happen!!!

Tinstaafl
25th Jul 2004, 14:53
Really, 126.9? Guaranteed by whom? :rolleyes:

Clearly you were one of the fortunate ones. That's *not* the same as 'guaranteed'...

25th Jul 2004, 15:02
Guarenteed by total dedication translated into hard work. And the harder I work, the more fortunate I become.

santan17
25th Jul 2004, 15:29
Hi Markham

By all means search through the forums as the others have suggested but bear in mind that there are a lot of negative people on this website, nothing is guaranteed in life but if you work hard and dont give up you WILL get there. I finished flight school in November 2002, then loaded bags until I finally got a job in March this year. Now I fly A320s!

Best of luck

Santan

sidesteppa
25th Jul 2004, 15:37
in answer to first quest, nothing is ever guarenteed, however as 126.9 points out if you want something enough you'll get there. i did and so did lots of friends, some dropped on the way but never really wanted to get there! negative comments from others don't really help anyone! yes things have changed but still a better job than packing shelves over night at the local supermarket i'd say!

nitefiter
25th Jul 2004, 15:47
Dont take this the wrong way but if you want a guarantee buy a fridge.
On the other hand true determination,the ability to put rejection down to experience, sheer bloody mindedness along with deep pockets full of money and if you really want it bad enough you will get there. I did!

Atlanta-Driver
25th Jul 2004, 16:27
There's no guarantees what so ever in this biz, but as 126.9 says by hard work and dedication one can be there.

Joining a military there are no guarantees of becoming a general or Admiral either or for those joining in the bottom a guarantee of ever reaching officer ranks.

AD

Atlanta-Driver
26th Jul 2004, 02:35
From my class of 16, I am the only one flying for airlines. 2 others are flight instructing, and still applying to airlines every day. That's 3 out of 16 that have a flying job. Graduation was in 1992, so It's been a while.

AD

Tinstaafl
26th Jul 2004, 04:18
No, 126.9, hard work and total dedication DON"T guarantee an airline job. Skew the odds against those who fail exams or tests, or give up, yes, but guarantee? Absolutely not. :rolleyes:

Orion Man
26th Jul 2004, 07:41
Not guaranteed at all. Yes, hard work & dedication are required but so is a natural aptitude and perhaps a little bit of luck in getting your first job.

British Airways have always traditionally recruited "academics" on their cadet sponsorships and many have been chopped, not because they weren't brilliant at groundschool and worked hard, but because they couldn't fly an aeroplane.

26th Jul 2004, 08:20
Life will always have it's failures.

Dont allow them to be your guide dogs, role models or advisors.

Success is guarenteed, for those who make it happen!.

Those who don't make it happen, will always have excuses, blame it on someone or something else, and will always tell you differently!
----
If you believe that I'm wrong in what's written here, you simply have to go back to the top of this thread and read it again. :}

AerocatS2A
26th Jul 2004, 13:15
So what you're saying is that success is only guaranteed for those who succeed?

Orion Man
26th Jul 2004, 19:03
He's guarenteed not to suceed in a spelling contest, that's for sure.

G-Foxtrot Oscar 69
26th Jul 2004, 21:19
You can make it happen for you!

If you want to fly commercial so bad it hurts then you will make it one way or another.

If you ask the question about whether it is worth trying as is there any guarantee then you probably won't make it.

Basically if you want it go get it and be prepared to completely smash any one who tries to stand in your way.

Good luck!