PDA

View Full Version : SA Pilot's Logbook

24th Jul 2004, 09:15
Does anybody know of a good electronic (PC, Palm or both, compatible) Pilot's Logbook, in the standard SA format? I've always used SmartLog by Hilton Davidson on my Psion 3 mx. But that piece of equipment is now becoming dated, and I'm finding it very difficult to replace? Perhaps Hilton has come up with something new, I don't know, but if so maybe someone can put me in contact with him?

I recently tried a version of PalmLog by Errol Pilemer, but there is just no way that I can get that thing to print, and what with it's system of linking into MS Excell, it's just a pain in the butt!

beechbum
24th Jul 2004, 09:47
Try Logbook 2000, I think its one of the best on the market at the moment. Try their website www.chauffair.co.za You're able to order it online, if memeory serves me. I think it has what you want. Itis produced by Ian Billing and he seems to have put everything together well. Give it a try.:ok:

24th Jul 2004, 10:44
Thanks, I had a look there. Unfortunately, it seems that the software is not downloadable from the site and has to be purchased on a disk. Knowing the postal service from SA, I'm guessing it'll take 6 weeks to get here if it's not stolen first..? :}

xdelta
24th Jul 2004, 16:27
The logbook most probably wont print cos you haven't registered the software that ur using. For more info you can contact Errol Pillemer at [email protected]

24th Jul 2004, 21:05
Not quite. It's registered. There appears to be a problem with the actual files HotSyncing to the PC. They are produced on the Palm, but don't get downloaded to the CASL folder as they should.

So, anybody else got any other ideas regarding a good logbook package?

ANVAK
25th Jul 2004, 14:15
Give Ian Billing a call - the numbers are published on the Chauffair website. He's quite a wiz and should sort you out.

kichwa tembo
26th Jul 2004, 06:56
hi guys. apologies for digressing a bit, but i'm thinking of getting a pda. i would like one that offers all the normal pda functions and applications and still allows me to keep track of hours. you seem to have had experience with the gadget should i go traditional and get psion or the other PDA's palm, imate etc?

26th Jul 2004, 08:10
All I can say is DONT GO WITH PSION. Psion went out of bussiness a few years ago and you'll be buying old technology.

There are so many great gadgets on the market now that you'd need to go and look at them before deciding what you need exactly. :}

phydeaux
27th Sep 2004, 13:16
Don't know if you are still looking for an electronic logbook but maybe I can help. I am using Excel as a platform and currently an IPAQ as the personal logbook.

After each time I syncronise the computer and IPAQ it upates the logbook on the computer.
Currently it automatically creates a summary of the previous months flying with the months summary and prints It. I am also able to do a 6 month, 12 month and total flying summary in the format required by the CAA.

I am working on two formats one the current 10 column logbook and one based on the DD863 military version.

If you are interested and have anything else you would like to see in a logbook please send me a PM:8