PDA

View Full Version : A320/737NG ICAO Rating conv. JAR ATPL

Bula
24th Jul 2004, 06:13
G'day all,

I'm in the process of looking around for places to do my 737NG or A320 rating. At the moment i'm leaning towards the A320 (especially with everything that is happening in Asia).

I have two questions however and was hoping someone might be able to help me out:

1. A320 Vs 737NG .... opinions on which one to do and where to do the training.

2. If i were to gain a A320/737NG endorsement under an ICAO license and then did my JAR conversion ($$$$ jesus i can see to dollar signs now :) ) would the endorsement carry over to my JAR ATPL?

Thanks yo'all

redsnail
24th Jul 2004, 11:48
Unless your rating was done under a JAR TRTO then I'm afraid it won't carry over to the JAR ATPL. A pity really. If you have 500 hours on it then you can "just" do an LST on it with the CAA observing the ride.
At the moment, a JAR TRTO will charge about ~20K GBP for an A320 rating. (No accom included).
Painful isn't it?

24th Jul 2004, 11:57
Not entirely the full story. This all depends on where exactly you decide to take your JAR-FCL. You see, like all things European, the meaning is more in the translation than in the intent.

An ICAO type rating that includes (amongst other things) 500 hours on type, can be transferred to a JAR-FCL with the resctriction that it is valid on non-JAA registered aircraft only. What good is that you say? Well, it means that all you will need is a JAA LPC with any TRI/E and the rating becomes fully JAA valid.

I know, I did it! But then again I hold a European licence. :}

Bula
26th Jul 2004, 13:41
Hey fellas,

thanks for the reply. I'm looking at starting my european conversion in the new year (hopefully) so just wanted a few pointers..

thanks for you help.. PS do you guys know anything about the proposed changes with JAR/FAA license conversions?

redsnail
26th Jul 2004, 20:41
Bula,
A few of us have poured over the document. As it stands as a proposal, you'll need 1500 hours in a FAR 25 aircraft for it to be of any use.
If you don't have that then you'll still have to do the 14 JAR ATPL exams as soon as you want to put an MPA type on your licence.

126.9, I see what you're saying, however, bula wants to do a rating and then take it (with no hours on it) to Europe.
That's how I read it.