PDA

View Full Version : AY to ML at A060 in a Saab?

goldeneagle
24th Jul 2004, 04:19
A Saab340 flew from Albury to ML Friday 23/7 afternoon at 6000, stating "ops are normal". They even had to request airways from Radar as do us lowly GA drivers. Surely flight depressurised is considered abnormal ops, or does it come under PU?
If there were passengers, they would have got a great view of Mt Buller on the Eildon track at that alt!

No Further Requirements
24th Jul 2004, 04:30
Yes indeed they did. They were coming up out of Albury on climb to flight levels and then asked to go back down to A060, 'operations are normal'. Not much more we can do but believe them I'm afraid. I am also sure that if it was a pressurisation problem, they wouldn't have asked, but told me, that they were on the drop. And BTW, another did it to me this morning, opting for A080 instead of the usual FL140 or FL160. I'd say icing would have been the culprit. Any Saab drivers care to elaborate?

Cheers,

NFR.

compressor stall
24th Jul 2004, 04:54
Any SIGMETs out due to severe icing?

If it was pressurisation, I'd have thought they'd have gone at A100?

No Further Requirements
24th Jul 2004, 06:05
Stallie, it's SIGMET city in SE Oz at the moment. There's always one or four current for icing, turbulance etc etc. I was just remarking the other day that we should just do one broadcast in about April : "All stations : it's winter!" and that should just about cover it. And in September "All stations: winter terminates". Save an awful lot of ranting on and on. Cheers,

NFR.

BTW I do know the info in SIGMETS is quite important - just looking at the lighter side of things :ok:

compressor stall
24th Jul 2004, 06:14
G'Day NFR!

Yup winter ok. I get your Vic/Tas icing sigmets coming through on the Champagne Flight Planner for a flight wholly in WA.

The b*gger is that it when I'm sitting at FLs over the GAFA in 8/8 of blue, I get a bit bored and re-read the wx. Then I get jealous of y'all in the SE corner with the snow in dem hills!

Your tropical blood thickened yet?
:ok:

Capt Claret
24th Jul 2004, 06:22
goldeneagle & NFR

It could have simply been to get out of strong headwinds.
More than a few DH8 have flown YPDN-YMHU (387nm) below A100. From memory I did it once at either A060 or A080 to avoid a 60kt northwesterly. :uhoh:

The Librarian
24th Jul 2004, 06:45
Once did Albury to West Sale at 500'AGL in a Saab. Only one pax on board ( in the jump seat)
Certainly gave the skiers at Hotham something to look at.
Those were the days

No Further Requirements
24th Jul 2004, 08:40
Hey Stallie,
Yeah, it's great weather down here (not) but it makes me earn my money that's for sure! Glad our WX is keeping you amused. The tropical blood has certainly thickened, although Mrs NFR had 3 weeks back in Darwin recently and was enjoying the warmth again! Well, I better read the ski reports.....

Clarrie,
The pilot didn't say, but the winds were another option I suppose. I will ask next time it happens

Cheers,

NFR.

Spodman
24th Jul 2004, 08:59
Had one do the same to Mildura yesterday, seemed quite bewildered when I said "radar service terminated" at 150ML.

I assumed it was due icing.

Chapi
24th Jul 2004, 15:02
Most likley due icing ....sigmets for severe icing A050-F185 have been current all day.

Nothing unusual about SF34 operating at low levels. SF34 and DHC8 often fly low (A060-A100) from Tassie due icing/winds/turb.

HabibBro
25th Jul 2004, 12:00
Indeed I would think the Icing is the problem, you can cop the 60kt winds but not the ice. Add to that it usually is in a SF340A model & its game over! Lucky to get above 10'000ft with Ice & a load on - the B model will perform much more admirably in such conditions. Just my bit!

Sheep Guts
25th Jul 2004, 21:41
Claret,
That sounds reasonable. 60kts on nose. You might go low and fast the extra fuel burn would work out the same. Somtimes do it in Beechcrafts Finest myself. Its all a big punt really. Man I am delirious, jeezz I miss the Darwin Race Scene. Whens the next Darwin Cup coming by the way?

Sheep .............in need of Treament............:ugh: :{ :* :E :ok:

CoodaShooda
26th Jul 2004, 04:11
Whens the next Darwin Cup coming by the way?

Next Monday (August 2) :E

The Voice
26th Jul 2004, 04:21
AND, for the first time - in all of the years I've been here .. I'm going to the cup to see what all of the fuss is about! :}

tinpis
26th Jul 2004, 05:43
Cup carnival on now sheeps lots of dopey hats and mad punters.
Also Pitch Black wonder how the gee-gees like the noise?