PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Shortage thread on Reporting Points

TurbineDreamer
24th Jul 2004, 02:54
I see a thread on reporting points, referring to a shortage of planes and pilots. How realistic is this. I know people will say that there never has nor will be a shortage, but hey there was a fair bit of recruiting late 90's early 2000. Is Asia expanding so quickly and also here in OZ with LCC, that they can't and will not be able to get enough crews whatever the experience level.

What are your thoughts, as my goal is the regionals as a career, I am hoping that there is such a large drain from the regionals that hour requirments drop and the competition will not be as great.

Keen to hear others perspective on this possible situation.

cheers

TD

prospector
24th Jul 2004, 04:26
Looks good on the surface, but soon as the big money starts hurting will hasten the day that all will be automated.

Prospector

34R
24th Jul 2004, 07:27
Ahhhh TurbineDreamer, you sound an aweful lot like me mate, as judging by some of your previous posts we are both in similar positions. I'm a little older than I would like to be, and have my sights set on the regionals, however bigger and better things have not and will not be ruled out.

The shortage of crews mentioned probably refers to type rated guys/gals, or people there abouts in terms of experience levels. I don't really think the regionals can drop their requirements any further than they presently stand, which is quite low when you think about it. Applicants with the bare minimums probably don't stand much of chance in todays environment, perhaps if there is a drain on suitably experienced crews, minimum requirement holders may have a better chance......who knows pal.

One thing is for sure, it doesn't matter how long you stare at those damn minimums, they aint gonna come down! (I gave up a long time ago :\ ) Just keep plugging away mate, you never know what's around the corner.

TurbineDreamer
25th Jul 2004, 11:11
Thx for your response 34R. Check your PM's.

cheers
TD

Rich-Fine-Green
25th Jul 2004, 19:06
.....If ACCC let Airsevices increase their charges - there ain't gonna be a GA left to build experiance in.

IF QF and others don't change their attitude/lobby on cross-subsidisation, they will have to run their own flight schools in 20 years time to fill S/O positions.