PDA

View Full Version : When Do They NOT Use Registrations Again?

airsupport
23rd Jul 2004, 03:24
I was half listening to the News the other night, and I heard someone say that VH-CLM had crashed and been destroyed. :{

Of course to me VH-CLM is an Airbus A300-600 that we had in New York and Guyana, however I found out later thankfully that they were only talking about a bugsmasher. :rolleyes: (and nobody was hurt except the bloke that stole it).

When do they, and when do they not, reissue registrations?

I always understood they do not ever issue them again if an Aircraft crashes, like there was never another VH-RMI after the Viscount. :(

Is it IF a certain registration is in any crash? Or only if there are fatalities? Or something else?

missy
23rd Jul 2004, 11:34
Excellent question. Unfortunately CASA does NOT see any merit in regos not being re-used for a period. They say that it is a commercial thing and they wouldn't like to stop an aircraft owner from re-using a rego. VH-SMH has been B1900, B717, Caravan, turbo-prop one day, jet the next. Its a farce and CASA don't care.

puff
23rd Jul 2004, 11:52
I don't think CASA 'bans' regos from being used even if the a/c did crash....an airline or operator would not use the same rego again, as per AN and RMI, but a/c like VH-SJP crashed and in later life was a bandit with Sunshine Express......

DUXNUTZ
23rd Jul 2004, 13:15
Some 210's in the Territory have been written off (sometimes more than once) and then come back to life again under the same rego...... Juz wonder who the guinea pig is that flies it for the first time!

ITZ NUTZ!

airsupport
23rd Jul 2004, 18:48
Okay, thank you all. :ok:

Seems like there is no official policy then, it must have just been Airline policy in days gone by, NOT to use those registrations again, either out of respect for the Dead, or maybe just superstition. :(

BTW I do realise that it didn't apply anyway to VH-CLM, I was just curious what happens.

Fris B. Fairing
24th Jul 2004, 07:37
Airsupport

There used to be a policy of not reissuing a registration to another aircraft of the same type, which makes a lot of sense. However, I am aware of at least one instance in recent years where this did not apply (VH-PWN was reissued to another DC-3 when the first PWN was exported to NZ). Probably there are other examples too. I think the main point is we are running out of possibilities for three alpha registrations.

Cheers

airsupport
24th Jul 2004, 08:37
Out of interest, I just had a look at the CASA web site, it doesn't have the answer to my question though.

There are 3703 available registrations at 19/07/2004, so there would not appear to be a shortage of registrations available.

What surprised me is "RMI" is there as available. :confused:

Although of course it will not be going to another Viscount, I always understood that they would never use one like that again. :(

Deserted Rat
28th Jul 2004, 14:52
What about airline flight numbers?
After an airliner has crashed, do they continue using the same flight number?

Desert Duck
29th Jul 2004, 01:27
Last I knew RMI was a C402 at Alice Springs