PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, we're too busy.

D-IFF_ident
23rd Jul 2004, 02:07
Firemen - please do not go on strike. We are reducing our manpower and can't help.

Iran - please don't get upset with us, we are too busy preparing for a fireman's strike.

Sudanese - Please stop being slaughtered by the militia, we are all already fighting militia in Iraq.

FRY - Please all make-up and get on with it by yourselves, we are too busy worrying about possible peace keeping in Sudan.

Iraq - Please stop shooting at us, we need to get home to prepare for fireman's strikes.

The French - just because you are about to have a bigger military than us for the first time in 300 years - don't go getting any ideas, because those that us that are left are too busy anyway.

My wife - Sorry, I can't remember where we live - please send directions.

Dr Falken
23rd Jul 2004, 06:31
China - you must be quaking in your boots now.

pr00ne
23rd Jul 2004, 07:43
D-IFF_Ident,

The French have ALWAYS had a bigger Army than the UK, period!

Their Navy is now comparable in hull numbers but NOT in capability, same numners v capability argment applies to their Air Force.

Dr.

The only weapon system that we have with ANY relevance to China is the Trident nuclear deterent, no change there so your point is?

BEagle
23rd Jul 2004, 08:29
Hmmm.....

My experience of working with the FAF is:

1. They're there when they say they will be with the numbers of a/c they'd declared. Unlike the 'Brief for a 6-ship, walk with 5, start with 4, launch with 3, 1 RTBs early, a pair finally do the sortie' state of the RAF's FJs.

2. They have quite a few M2000 and Rafale - rather more potent than the wretched Tornado. Plus still all those Jags and F1s.

3. They enjoy considerable national pride and support from their government - and are not messed about and hacked to death all the time by slimy creeps like Bliar and his henchmen.

Plus their manning levels are much more generous than the UK's.

Exmil
23rd Jul 2004, 08:49
BEagle, the FAF also turn up when they don't say they're going to be there. I seem to remember they delivered some kinetic information in Boz without telling anyone they were going to do it.

Agree with point 3 - but that sometimes extends a little too far: when we share useful information with them and ask for their contribution they say "non".

I must admit to a little envy when on Route 32 in an F4 their Q jet barrel-rolled around us (30 odd k feet). At least the Typhoon should be able to do that.

As for the thread - I can only sympathise with those still in; I thought spending 7 months out of 12 out of the country on my last tour was enough (factor in leaving) and didn't have aid to the civil powers to contend with on return. Surely there must be a reduced commitment in return for swingeing cuts?

BEagle
23rd Jul 2004, 09:13
"Surely there must be a reduced commitment in return for swingeing cuts?"

Flap, flap, oink, oink......

And yes, the TypHoon does certainly have some very tick VG performance indeed. Refuelled a couple of 't Bungling Baron WasteoSpace's test jets a couple of years ago: after AAR the first mate then had the block from something like F480-F510. Second mate was told "Not above 470, one similar type operating above!"

Long time since the UK had something which would do that!

WE Branch Fanatic
23rd Jul 2004, 14:06
Add to the list....

Fuel protesters
IRA and other Ulster related terrorist groups
Al Quada
Saudi militants
Argentina

Still, none of these are likely to be a problem, because Geoff says so, everything will be according to our exact plans!

Axel-Flo
23rd Jul 2004, 16:13
prOOne!

The french (little f) may always have had a larger ary etc than us but
A. It has never stopped us punching above our weight, and winning (ask Boney)
B. WE, have always just had to be there and cope regardless of said size.
C. They have never (the french, notwithstanding this years token jestures) been truly grateful for us being the Nation in Europe that refused to fall or prostate itself before hitller and save their Galc asses in WW II.

D. As was said last year in the desert, after the french were caught tapping into allied phone and comms lines in the desert.....HOW MANY FRENCHMEN DOES IT TAKE TO DEFEND PARIS?

NO ONE KNOWS ITS SOMETHING THATS NEVER BEEN ATTEMPTED.:yuk:

Navaleye
23rd Jul 2004, 16:19
The French have a nuclear powered strike carrier armed with (soon) supersonic air to air fighters and long range strike a/c. What to do we have?. The French AF has more AD assets than the RAF last time I looked. That was before Thursday.

J.A.F.O.
23rd Jul 2004, 17:52
Surely if you guys can't manage the firemen will help out, fair's fair.