PDA

View Full Version : A320 flap problem at GLA 22/7/04?

Foxy Loxy
22nd Jul 2004, 22:55
The way I heard it, an inbound A320 had a problem with asymmetrical flaps, veered off the rwy on landing. No one hurt.

Rwy closed for an hour, a/c in the hold declared an emergency due fuel shortage.

Anyone got any more details??

Foxy

eng1170
22nd Jul 2004, 23:03
Was at work from 1500 - 2330 with hangar doors open all day and this is the first I've heard of such an event!!

Most excitement I had today was spoiler and aileron functions....:yuk:

Eng

Man Flex
22nd Jul 2004, 23:03
Foxy

It is highly unlikely that a new generation airbus would have an asymmetric flap problem. The system is designed with 'wing tip brakes' to prevent such an occurrence.

It is possible that a failure resulted in a flapless landing.

Port Strobe
23rd Jul 2004, 19:23
F L, never heard a thing to that effect, only problem a/c I know about from 22/07/04 was a 757 but it was nothing like that. Did you hear who it belonged to, if it was a charter airline or one of the BA/BMi busses? If the runway had been closed I'm sure somebody would've been talking about it, I haven't heard anything though. Thanks anyway.

eng 1170, I assume you're at the BA hangar, is there any sign of the A320's coming your way yet? They've been promised for a long time haven't they? I've seen one or two kicking about the odd time but nothing frequent. I noticed there's something parked nose in at bay 2 but I assume its another 737-3/4/5? Thanks for your time.

Mark McG
23rd Jul 2004, 20:14
Port Strobe:

There's currently a CFM A320 in the hanger - has been for a week or so now.

A recent airliner world article on BAMG said that the Airbus takes significantly less time to process thru the hanger than the equivalent checks for the 73 series.

eng1170
24th Jul 2004, 18:49
Port Strobe - had the 'Bus's in for a wee while now, 2 batches of 7 aircraft each for a 4 day input, one in Dec and again earlier this year, but at the moment got G-BUSH in for a major input (28 day's I think - I'm on 73's in bay 1) this is the second major check we've done on them and we seen to be doing really well, a few teething probs with different equipment but nothing drastic.

Mark McG - the aircraft that's nose in on Bay 1 just now is G-DOCM which is due an End-of-lease input some time in September, not sure if we are doing it or if it's just being parked up for a while, it's had a few part's robbed for G-LGTH as we are currently switching over to a new computer system in Engineering and part's are taking a wee bit longer to come up from LHR. (The No.1 engine inlet and a couple of fan cowl's are missing). I posted a reply to a question about BA 737's and what we've still got in the "Question's" forum earlier in the week.

Hope this answers your Q's!!

Rgds, Eng :)

Port Strobe
25th Jul 2004, 14:05
Thanks for all the replies guys, I wasn't aware you'd had the A320s in for that long. I've actually got a photo taken in Lisbon with 'Dubbya' in the background as it happens, funny how it ends up back on my doorstep.

Thanks again.