PDA

View Full Version : Two's comfy Three's a crowd

nesbit
22nd Jul 2004, 13:59
I would like to say that Australian aviation business just doesn't learn, I mean how many airlines have to fail because we just forget the past in so many ways.

1. This country just does not have the population to support 2 low cost and one main line operators. Unfortunately we have seen this anfold time and time again.

2. The current establsihed airlines now have to deeper pockets, as the growth of the population increases, all they do is purchase more aircraft and benifit on the higher profits. There isnt any room for three domestic carriers in this country.

I would just hate to see families destroyed yet again because business men/women haven't learnt anything at university about economics and the life cycle of business. The man with the deepest pockets wins!

My two cents, There will always be one airline with a red tail in this country, it just might make the kangaroo into road kill!

robroy
22nd Jul 2004, 14:35
I agree, 2 Airlines. But I feel the rat won't survive, sadly.

Years ago I would have fought anyone knocking skippy, but now, no, someone, maybe everyone in management has lost the plot. Turn back the clock, only a little, to rational airline thinking.

Then the Rat might have a chance.

missy
23rd Jul 2004, 04:00
I disagree.

What we shouldn't have is all the airline doing the same thing. They should be concentrating on particular markets. A full cost airline serving the major trunk routes then a series of niche markets, eg a northern market, a southern market, a western market etc.
Except the 1st LCC wants to fly everywhere the FCC which doesn't make sense. 2nd LCC needs to be looking at different things to the 1st LCC etc.
When Ansett went belly-up (RIP) one of the remarkable things was the extra utilisation of aircraft with very late night flights from Sydney with a return prior to 7am. Doesn't seem to happen anymore. Whilst not everyone wants to fly at such a late hour, if you build it he will come.

Watchdog
23rd Jul 2004, 22:13
Nesbit,
We actually only have 2 majors - Qantas GROUP & Virgin.
QF & J* aren't actually competitors - they won't ever compete head on.