PDA

View Full Version : MUFC fly to USA on a relic

behind_the_second_midland
22nd Jul 2004, 12:14
Manchester United flew to the USA yeterday from Manchester in an N registered 727.

Now a fine aircraft the 727 was/is and I believe it was very nicely decked out inside (according to a pal in on the ground up there) but come on. A 727 across the pond with a refuel at Gander??

The richest club in the world. Looks like Morris from Co-Op travel has surpassed himself this time.

BTSM

Miles Hi
22nd Jul 2004, 14:28
I can clarify - Apparently it was one of GW Bush's Air Force One Aircraft. It's the one he uses for puddle jumping around the states.

Private individuals or corporations can rent it out for $48,000 per hour.

22nd Jul 2004, 14:34
Apparently it didn't have any Presidential Livery on it. Last time he was in the uk his puddle jumpers were 757's.

Someone told me who operated this 727 but I can't remember. No doubt someone on here will know.

BTSM

Harrier46
22nd Jul 2004, 14:50
Don't know about this particular charter but Miami Air have been over here before with their 727s, could be them.
Regarding this type of trip there are very few options available other than 727s (and a few 737s and even fewer 757s). No modern airliners are available as they have to fly round the clock to justify their existence, especially mid-summer so cannot be spared for long enough. This leaves a niche for operators who can make a profit using written down ex-airline aircraft (with nice new interiors) with relatively low utilisation. There are also one or two 757s doing this sort of operation (Titan in the winter and also one in Spain) but other than that there is not much choice.
The latest Boeing BBJs and A319CJs tend to be laid out with too few seats and of course cost a packet.

22nd Jul 2004, 14:56
No modern airliners are available as they have to fly round the clock to justify their existence

Except for the 777 that Blair always manages to pay enough to charter at a whim!

BTSM

LGW Vulture
22nd Jul 2004, 14:57
Quote ......."Private individuals or corporations can rent it out for $48,000 per hour".

Where did you get this info Miles......sleepy dreamworld???

You can charter BBJ2's for a little over US$10,000 per hour.

Me thinks someone is pulling one over you!
:uhoh:

Miles Hi
22nd Jul 2004, 15:56
Vulture, This is the cost as qouted to the Charterer. How do I know? Can't tell ya, the Homeland Security crowd would hang me upside down in Guantanamo and take pictures of me!

OFBSLF
22nd Jul 2004, 17:00
Apparently it was one of GW Bush's Air Force One Aircraft. It's the one he uses for puddle jumping around the states.That sounds rather dubious. First, the US Air Force does not operate any 727s. There are two 747s. Some DC9s. The odd 737. Some G4s. No 727s. And they are certainly not chartered out. They are part of the US Air Force, flown by US Air Force pilots.

mini
22nd Jul 2004, 17:58
732 Pax craft, wet lease 30 days, 80 hrs airborne guaranteed. USD 8,000/hr. + position fee + paint + fuel + standing charges, etc.

This is what we paid in 2003. Offshore reg a/c + Ukranian crew.

No probs encountered.

ukeng
25th Jul 2004, 16:54
727's are hardly relics... much nicer way to travel that business class with the rest of the oiks!!

etrang
29th Jul 2004, 10:38
i Regarding this type of trip there are very few options

And i suppose it would be quite out of the question for the poor boys to fly on a scheduled flight.

HZ123
29th Jul 2004, 19:10
I think you will find that the a/c was provided in the contract with the US agency that are managing this round of games. Probably MUFC PLC had no opinion in the a/c provided.

seacue
30th Jul 2004, 13:40
The USAF had one or two ex-airline 727s stationed at Andrews that were used for VIPs, but not part of the presidential flight. The pres flgt has 747s and 757s these days. The 727s were flown by AF Reserve pilots, who presumably flew 727s in their day job at an airline (US Air?). Don't know what the situation is these days since the US airlines no longer fly 727s. I can't accept that the USAF would rent out a plane to any football club.

sc