PDA

View Full Version : Fireproof Uniforms For Cabin Crew.............

richterscale10
22nd Jul 2004, 07:50
A new EU directive has looked at using fireproof materials for crew uniforms.
Aaagghhh I hear you say......but the materials look and feel just the same as 'normal' material but have fireproof threads and coating on it. There is not too much choice of colour at the moment though. All this is an offshoot of NASA research in the States.
It is very expensive but if introduced could prove to be a life saver!

What do you guys think?

apaddyinuk
22nd Jul 2004, 17:57
I suppose it makes sense if they can get the cost down but all current uniform materials have to meet stringent fire proofing as it is, But just how good is fire proofing when you consider your arms, face and the ladies in skirts are all exposed to flame and fuel?

FakePilot
22nd Jul 2004, 18:18
Hmmm, cigarette box says it's "crush proof".
Ooops, can I bum a fag now?

I love it when things are called "proof."

What problem is trying to be solved with this? I would think that if protection from fire is necessary, especially an aircraft fire, much more "fireproofing" is needed than just a uniform. A "fireproof" uniform might turn a lethal burn into a non-lethal burn, but that's it. No bravely running through flames to rescue pax, or the pilot with steely eyes who's still got a deathgrip on the yoke.

Ropey Pilot
22nd Jul 2004, 19:03
Seems totally pointless - if required to fight a fire then a quick-don fully protective suit would be in order, but fireproof uniform is a waste of time.

In the military we wear nomex (fire 'proof') flying suits. All this means is that your clothing is not going to light - it is not magically insulating. If the cabin temp is 300 degrees Celcius you are going to burn whether your clothing catches fire or not! What you need is insulation under the flame retardant layer, which is why we also had to wear cotton long johns under said suit (didn't show you that in Top Gun did they?) - even whilst flying a greenhouse in Kenya at 40 degrees C!

And as has already been mentioned there is so much exposed flesh anyway it would be irrelevant. So unless the plan is for cabin crew to wear several layers, full length sleeves and gloves and a roll neck top covering the neck with a balaclava type affair to cover the head what is the point?:hmm:

FakePilot
22nd Jul 2004, 19:12
I think materials that melt would be more dangerous as they can hold more heat and then attach themselves and efficiently transfer this heat. This would cause damage even after the fire is put out. Plus some materials may generate more heat when burning then others. Well, since I don't have any more cigarettes I'll just use my lighter to burn various types of my clothing and see what happens. :)

Jinkster
24th Jul 2004, 15:09
Cost cutting measure:

1) Make the skirts shorter

2) Make the tops lower

:E :E :E

Jinkster:p