PDA

View Full Version : Video monitoring of airframe

mapper
21st Jul 2004, 22:25
Could someone please explain why the odd external camera for passenger entertainment hasn't evolved into a standard flight deck facility for monitoring airframe/engines/baggage hold? There have been many incidents reported in these forums where any/early information from video cam could have assisted pilots in their decision making. viz. smoke from engine (prior to sensor-triggered warning), damage to airframe from various causes in-flight, gear down and not locked warning, pre-flight checks and cant see control surface to confirm!, evac - but which doors are safe to use? - the list is endless. It seems to me as though not since the days of the Sopwith Camel, when visibility of the whole airframe must have been fairly good, we now have the technology to monitor the entire airframe when required.
Software in the approriate flight system could be employed to compare standard images of say flaps 40 with the current view and raise a warning if all is not well.
Do the 7E& and A380 have anything in this regard?
thx.

Globaliser
23rd Jul 2004, 13:23
I think the short answer to this is that it's coming. There are many such systems being developed and tested.

SkySista
24th Jul 2004, 16:03
If I recall correctly, didn't Swissar install some sort of video monitoring system in their a/c after the on-board fire (Flight 111??) resulting in the loss of the a/c?

I'm sure I read somewhere that they had.

And as Globaliser has said, it's something that's been looked at for quite a while.

Though wish that nosewheel cams were mandatory on all jets operating RPT!!! ;)

Sky

Paracab
25th Jul 2004, 00:42
Could someone please explain why the odd external camera for passenger entertainment hasn't evolved into a standard flight deck facility for monitoring airframe/engines/baggage hold?

Said cameras are not for passenger entertainment, they are to assist the flight crew with various tasks such as taxiying and are necessary because of the size of some aircraft v the dimensions of airports/taxiways/aprons etc etc.

With some airlines the images from the cameras are routed to PAX screens for entertainment This is a pax EXTRA !

Basically, as has been said, its been considered and its coming.

mapper
30th Jul 2004, 23:39
Thanks for the replies/information on this. I note 2 other threads elsewhere:
Why does technology take so long to reach the cockpit?
and:
NTSB may mandate cockpit cams.

provide some extra information. The testing and certification process and associated costs is one key point.