PDA

View Full Version : New "Sport" Pilot License

Brian425
21st Jul 2004, 17:16
Hello,
I am new to the group. I am writing to get some information on the Sport pilot license. See here http://www.faa.gov/apa/pr/pr.cfm?id=1874

I am a skydiver and I would like to learn to fly. I figure that this would be a good first step into the world of flying. I was looking for information on the cost and possible locations for training in the NYC area.

Also is this the best way to go about getting an entry level license? Would the "normal" private pilots license be a better route? Any advice would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Brian

Lasiorhinus
21st Jul 2004, 17:58
Depends on what you want to ultimately achieve from flying.
If you are just going to tootle around your home aerodrome (away from big cities) then Sport or whatever might be OK. If you want to go across the country and perhaps fly through busier controlled airspace (I notice you are from New York, which is probably a big city), then your PPL would be more useful.

Go to your local airport, find a flying instructor, and talk.

All the best.

Brian425
21st Jul 2004, 22:52
Lasiorhinus,
Thanks for the reply. Initially it would be to just tool around and see if I enjoy it. I doubt I would do any flying around the city, it just seems to busy.

It seems that the sport license may not be a good fit. The plan would be to get licensed to enjoy some short fun flights in a rented plane. (cessna 152, 172, etc.). To progress and get hours flying, I may be able to fly the 182 or 205 at the dropzone. In essence trade a few hours flying as a "diver driver" in return for some flying time.

Thanks for the guidance. It's off to do some more research.

Regards,
Brian