PDA

View Full Version : Starting Out

marts
21st Jul 2004, 15:37
I'm currently stuck in a dead end IT job which I hate. I've worked in IT support for 7 years now since leaving college with a HND and GNVQ.

Unfortunately I don't have any aviation related degrees or experience.

My ambition is to start of as a Private Pilot, and hopefully move on to a Professional Pilot. I've taken a 1 hour trial lesson a few months ago, and realised my passion.

Are there any aviation related jobs which pay a reasonable amount (after all I have a mortgage to pay, and a PPL to achieve) which would also teach me some basic information which may help later on in aviation life.

I currently live in Manchester.

Thanks
Martin

21st Jul 2004, 22:10
Flight Operations jobs are reasonably paid and teach you a heck of a lot about commercial operations.....

Siu-K
22nd Jul 2004, 04:08
Martin,

I'm somewhat in the same mental state as you are. I don't hate my current IT job but, for example, I won't want to carry a pager for the rest of my career.

I thought about being a professional pilot when I was very young but as I grow older, reality seems to shadow most dreams.

Recently this thought came back to me and I just went out and took an intro flight without hesitation. It was only about 30 mins but I got to fly a Cessna 152 for most of the ride. I was a little nervous but it was fun and exciting. And I didn't get any motion sickness until the instructor demo a spin.

Now ... I'm thinking about the best way to achieve my dream with minimal risk to my career. And of course, family and finance are part of the equation too.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!!

Ken

PicMas
22nd Jul 2004, 07:25
Hmmmm... what an absolutely EXCELLENT idea to do a spin-demo on an introflight.

22nd Jul 2004, 08:09
Nicely hijacked Siu-K

Siu-K
22nd Jul 2004, 16:37
Hey PicMas,

I guess I shouldn't have spilled that out and start giving ideas to instructor like you, assuming you are an instructor. :P

But the funny thing was right after the instructor completed the spin, I asked him roughly what was the G force when he pulled up. He said approximately 1.5 Gs. Then I hesitated and ask .... so is there a G force tolerance requirement for professional pilot? Gladly the answer is no, except for test or military pilots. If there was a requirement, for sure that is something I'll have a hard time to get used to.

Ken

Nineiron
24th Jul 2004, 23:52
First action should be to take an aviation medical. This could save you from massive disappointment and possibly spending a lot of money.
I am sure you are fit and healthy but aviation medicals are quite searching and may uncover some condition which would have no consequences in a non aviation lifestyle, but could be critical to flying.

marts
26th Jul 2004, 12:06
Are there certain places where these types of job are advertised. I look at aviationjobsearch and flightinternationaljob web sites every few days, and even on Manchester Airports site - there doesn't appear to be any of these jobs available. I have stumbled upon a couple of 'baggage handling' vacancies, but the pay would cripple me with my mortgage.

Siu-K
26th Jul 2004, 19:07
Thanks for the tip, Nineiron.

I'll take the medical exam before I sign up for any courses.

Ken