PDA

View Full Version : At joystick or wheel, attitude saves lives

Deanw
21st Jul 2004, 13:47
21/07/2004: Business Day

At joystick or wheel, attitude saves lives

Aviation body says human error, mechanical failure contribute to accidents

AS ANOTHER scene of aircraft wreckage flickers across television news bulletins, many begin to wonder if the claim that flying is far safer than driving is really true.

On Sunday, four men were killed when a light aircraft crashed into a bus depot in Germiston, east of Johannesburg.

The single-engined Cessna Centurion crashed at the Marco Polo bus depot near Rand Airport . After narrowly missing a busy highway and several buildings, the aircraft's wing hit the roofs of two buses.

It appears the six-seater aircraft experienced engine trouble as it was making a final approach for landing at the airport.

Speculating about the cause of this accident before the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) investigators have completed their report would be unfair, but engine failure is not usually reason enough for an accident. Often there are several options available to a pilot before a fatal accident becomes inevitable.

Gilbert Thwala, executive manager of occurrence investigation at the CAA, says that while a number of factors contribute to accidents, including mechanical failure or adverse weather conditions, human error is the biggest contributor.

But Thwala is quick to point out that South African pilots have the necessary skills, and that training in SA is as good as anywhere in the world.

"The fact is that often a pilot finding himself in trouble has little time to make a decision that could avoid an accident."

Thwala says the number of accidents in SA has been stable over the past few years.

Statistics show a slight drop in the accident rate. In 1992 there were 5549 aircraft registered in SA with 179 accidents reported, of which only 19 were fatal.

Last year the number of aircraft had swelled to 8403 with only 139 accidents, of which only 17 were fatal.

In the first half of this year there have been 12 fatal accidents out of a total of 77 crashes.

Thwala does not believe that the ageing fleet of light aircraft is a factor in crashes. "Age is not important if an aircraft is well maintained," he says.

The CAA has embarked on a promotional drive to raise safety standards in recent years. "Apart from our safety magazine, Safety Link, we have also undertaken various promotional activities," Thwala says.

"For example, if we identify a specific factor leading to accidents, say spatial disorientation, we hold talks on the subject at various schools and flying clubs."

The CAA also posts its accident reports on its website. "That way pilots can learn from the mistakes and experiences of other pilots," says Thwala.

Dennis Jankelow, CEO of insurance brokers Dennis Jankelow & Associates, which handles the insurance of more than 50% of general aviation aircraft registered in SA, also does not believe that there has been an increase in light aircraft accidents.

"The media highlights a number of high-profile accidents and people begin to lose sight of the huge number of aircraft flying in SA every day," he says.

"People read about the four guys who were killed on Sunday but do not pause to ask how many people were killed in road accidents on the same day."

He agrees, however, that human factors are the biggest contributors to accidents.

"The problem is not about our pilots being proficient but rather about attitude and displaying good airmanship," he says.

"Take a pilot who loads a group of friends into his plane and flies to Durban. He encounters bad weather, but pushes on against his better judgment because he does not want to lose face in front of his mates and his ego prevents him from turning around." In such cases accidents are bound to occur.

Engine failure does not necessarily mean an aircraft cannot land safely. Pilots are taught to cope with eventualities such as engine failure or other systems malfunctioning.

Commenting on SA's ageing fleet, Jankelow says that while a new plane is probably more desirable than a 30-year-old plane, if well maintained an old aircraft is just as safe.

"You would feel just as safe in a 30-year-old Boeing 747 as in a brand new Airbus," he says.

Alfred Kamara
21st Jul 2004, 14:30
a very well thought out article.

i see in SA newspapers that journalists write a lot of time without researching (especially about flying as well).

not to mention in deep Afica where I originate :D

Goldfish Jack
22nd Jul 2004, 04:49
A very thought provoking article indeed.

I have often sat in the tower and wondered at some incidents that happen.

Only yesterday morning I was in the centre and saw how a certain flying club wanted to send 2 students out of the CTR. The weather was marginal and the first one duly set off. As soon as they are airborne the instructor queried the weather with the ATC and wanted to know if the zone was going to go IMC. It was suggested to him that maybe he should return before it gets any worse.

What amazed me about this was that the instructor had not phoned the weather office AT ALL, even though the flight was a local flight and the ATIS weather was available to him (oh and he could see it was marginal before he left). The subsequent discussion in the centre was about airmanship, planning for a proper flight, etc and this starts the chain of events which can lead up to a (fatal?) incident ocurring.

The second pilot also said he had not consulted the weather man and elected to abort his flight before he got to the hold.

It is like flying in the circuit - how many pilots think that they need an alternate? Only a few weeks ago I was involved in an incident at night, when i queried it with an instructor about where his alternate was - his response was that they did not need one as he was staying in the circuit. To prove a point to him I asked him what would he do if the lights on the runway failed? His reply was that he would divert to Stellenbosch or Fisantekraal. At 2200B he got a fright when I told him that neither of those airfields has runway lights available (OK FASH has but with prior liaison). Afterwards he phoned me and said he had never thought about the need for an alternate airfield when he was in the circuit!!! (esp at night with so few options avail around FACT).

Alfred Kamara
22nd Jul 2004, 06:51
Wise words Goldfish bowl .. wise words.

I once had to land with Land rover lights on a very dark runway after the "International Airport " had a power failure.

my first and hopefully last time :O but i learnt a lot out of it.

yes before you ask - we d onot have alternates there - you go one way ... luckily we have taxi - ways t oland on in case of an accident on the main runway as th eclosest othe rrunway is 69 miles away !

Have a great day ... ps : seems like our rain is coming here in the Cape - not a day for flying a C 150 though :ouch:

MicroFlyer
23rd Jul 2004, 05:29
Having landed in front of the Cessna 210 that crashed at Rand on the weekend, the discussion of "Flying Safety" came up. Having flown to Rand in a 1946 Globe Swift (a 58 year old plane), there was no doubt in my mind that the age of an aircraft has got nothing to do with its safety. If it's well maintained, it's just as safe, if not safer than a brand new aeroplane.

Unfortunately we're all human, and we all make mistakes. Therefore we have procedures to eliminate the 'human factor'. Like I mentioned in a previous forum - I do suspect the Cessna's engine failed due to fuel exhaustion - whether it be that the empty tank was selected, or that there simply wasn't enough fuel - I don't know.

We can just hope, and believe that these errors do not occur again. When they do, we need to investigate them, discuss, and learn from them. It's sad that we have to learn from others' mistakes, but it's also sad that we all have to die some day.

I lost an instructor in a plane crash in December last year. The cause of the accident is not yet known, but what is suspected is that the elevator pushrod got wedged under the seat (due to a hard landing), in the up position - causing them to climb, spin, and lose the wing. Had they cut power after the hard landing - they might've lived. He was a brilliant pilot, to say the least. But he was human, like us all.

Let us all who love Aviation strive to increase safety, and let's learn from those who tragically lost their lives. We can only minimize the risk factor, and trust we don't make mistakes and become a figure ourselves.

My passion, and love for aviation is greater than any emotion or feeling I have ever experienced - this together with the procedures, regulations and laws around aviation, I believe we can project Aviation for the activity it really is...