PDA

View Full Version : Dragon and LASIK

tony_hk
21st Jul 2004, 03:17
Hi all,

I was just rejected by Dragonair Cadet Programme after submitting the medical questionnaire. It is because I did Lasik before (but I have completed more than one and a half years). Anyone has the same experience?

Actually, is Lasik patient a must-reject-candidate of the airlines? I will attend my first interview with Cathay soon. I guess they will kick me out after the medical examination after stage 2. I will try my best to reach there, anyway.

sergeblanco
21st Jul 2004, 21:20
what is lasik?just curious.

tony_hk
22nd Jul 2004, 00:20
It is a eye laser surgery to improve eye-sight (nt)

sergeblanco
22nd Jul 2004, 10:21
i see that the question of eye surgery is on their application form now.what effect is it supposed to have on flight performance?

Cpt. Underpants
22nd Jul 2004, 10:35
FYI

Verbatim (From The HKCAD AIC9/97)

7. Corrective Surgery

Various surgical techniques (including laser) are now available to correct problems with distant vision. Aircrew are warned that such procedures have the potential for long lasting side effects and complications that interfere with safe flying. Aircrew undergoing these procedures run the risk of being grounded for a minimum period of one year and in some cases, permanently. For this reason, these techniques cannot be recommended.

Good airmanship requires spectacle wearers to increase their head movements when scanning for collision avoidance.

AIC 10/97

Intermediate Vision Test

This serves to announce that an intermediate vision test will be introduced in the medical examination for the issuance of a Hong Kong Class I and Class 3 medical certificates with effect from 1 August 1997.

The intermediate vision test will assess the applicant's ability to read at a distance of 100cm. If this requirement is met by the use of corrective lenses, the applicant may be assessed as fit provided that such lenses are available for immediate use when exercising the privileges of his/her licence. A spare set of the correcting lenses shall be made available during such time.

BlueEagle
22nd Jul 2004, 10:52
Thanks Capt. U.

Not the first time you have taken the trouble to spell it out.

Just wondering what could we do to the Search function to make it more appealing?!;)

tony_hk
24th Jul 2004, 13:50
Thanks Captain Underpants.

I will still give it a try!