PDA

View Full Version : Noise problems

two0six
20th Jul 2004, 09:05
Hello fellow noise makers,

Operating a 206 in a noise sensitive environment has not taken long to create problems for me.

I was wondering if anybody has any literature to help reduce noise either generally or specifically for Jetrangers.

I would be very grateful for any info!

Collective Bias
21st Jul 2004, 18:44
HAI had a general booklet a few years ago, I do not know if it is still available. It was pretty good, with lots of arguments to the community as well.

PPRUNE FAN#1
21st Jul 2004, 21:46
Not everyone loves helicopters and the music they make. My personal philosophy is to assume that the people I'm flying over hate helicopters instead of love them. It is a wise attitude to have - otherwise you might find yourself flying so low over some chicken farmer that he hurls his cap at you in anger.

A JetRanger is a JetRanger; you cannot reduce the amount of noise it makes. For me, the most annoying thing about the 206 is the tail rotor growl. Horrible!

What you *can* do is "fly neighborly." Keep plenty of altitude as long as possible. Don't do long, slow, shallow straight-in approaches that have your blade-slap pounding figurines and trinkets off people's curio shelves and mantles. Think about whatever other techniques (varying approach paths, angles and airspeeds) you might employ. Could you hold your altitude and do an overhead 360-degree approach?

Remember that it's not only the quality of the noise that offends people, but the quantity of it too. The longer you expose people to your noise, the more angry they'll become. So do what you can to spend as little time within their earshot as possible.

At one point Bell suggested initiating a descent of at least 700 fpm before reducing power/airspeed. As a technique, it's a little tricky until you get the hang of it, especially if you have a loose governor.

Do whatever you can. Get in and get out quick. Altitude is your friend. You may never eliminate all of the noise complaints. Some people despise helicopters so much that they'll log a noise complaint even if they merely see you and not hear you. But you don't have to antagonize them. Good luck.

rotorboy
21st Jul 2004, 22:12
I have a stack of " I love helicopter noise" Bumper stickers if you need a few:D

the "love" is a heart..

rb:ok:

Jim Spillman
22nd Jul 2004, 00:04
I suggest you contact Bell Helicopters with your problem. They are under a lot of pressure by the HAI to develop Noise Abatement Procedures for their operators. I fly and train in the S-76 and use the Sikorsky RFM as reference material in the classroom.

belly tank
22nd Jul 2004, 01:19
Found this update on the HAI Website

Cheers BT

http://www.rotor.com/operations/flyhigher.gif

Tony Chambers
22nd Jul 2004, 01:24
try contacting the BHAB for some noise reducing tips and advice about those irritating complaints, the BHAB are very helpful people.
www.bhab.org.

Good Luck:ok:

Ascend Charlie
22nd Jul 2004, 07:59
Welcome to Jim Spillman!

For those who have never been to Flight Safety International at West Palm Beach, Jim is the very knowledgeable director of training there.

And a nice fella too.

Add him to the list of Lu, Nick, Shawn and Paco for future curly questions.

two0six
6th Aug 2004, 11:28
Hi All

Many thanks for all your help on the noise issue.

I feel that by presenting literature like this I will probably minimise the concerned neighbours!

Cheers

Vfrpilotpb
6th Aug 2004, 13:09
Noise, I stood right alongside a 206 yesterday and all I could hear was pure music,

And then this morning stood alongside in fact (50 paces away) from a guy who was sandblasting some stonework on a house near mine, he was using a 850CFM compressor and a 10mm dia blasting nozzle, now my little O2 mobile phone has on it a Decibel metre( dont ask why) and this recorded 112 decibels so lound was this noise that it actually hurt my ear, our local Enviro dept dont have any rules to cover this sort of noise, thats what they said anyway,

So how many decibels does a JetR make when about to take off, dont ask me that either for I had no phone with me when I was listening to that music!!::8

Spaced
6th Aug 2004, 13:35
Its actually pretty interesting. Ive got one of those decibel meters in my phone too.
The loudest sound Ive gotten so far is a rock breaker on a excavator 115db.
R22 hovering at about 50ft away 99db
44 " 101db
EC120 " 86db

Havent got a JR yet.
I think that sometimes its not the level of noise, but the perception of the noise.

John Eacott
7th Aug 2004, 07:31
I'm away from my books, but I recall a noise abatement procedure for the 206 which, amongst other points covered here, recommends reducing Nr to 97% (IIRC) on approach. I have used this on occassion when being checked by EPA for helipad approval, and it helped keep the Db down to acceptable limits. Keeping the weight to minimum is another trick for EPA checks ;)

My pad at home is steadily being encroached by developments, but I've got a 20 year history to help me continue. Plus warning/advisory signs along every fence to counter the possibility of complaints from new neighbours :ok: