PDA

View Full Version : Starting/Shuttingdown APU during fuelling

mcdhu
20th Jul 2004, 08:15
A humble pilot question to you guys.

I was always taught, on previous aircraft, not to start/shutdown the Apu while fuel was actually flowing into the tanks - something to do with static electricity, I was told.

However, this is now permitted by the manufacturer on the A320 family of aircraft.

Any comments from you guys about this, please?

Cheers,
mcdhu

spannersatcx
20th Jul 2004, 13:34
It used to be standard policy at CX not to do it, but it has been removed from the ops manuals (747 at least), so in effect it can now be done.

Perrin
20th Jul 2004, 17:26
Unless things have changed it used to be in the ops and flight manual on the 747 that when APU was US you could keep an engine, 1 or 4 to refuel and do startups where there was no gound power or jetstart at the airport, so starting a APU I wounldn't think would be a problem.

Denzil
21st Jul 2004, 15:14
Not starting other engines during the refuel though!!!!!

On the L1011 the number 2 engine "could" be used in the same way if APU inop and no external power.

It would appear that 1 start attempt is now allowed (A340), however if auto shutdown occurs no restart can be made.

For more detail an in-depth read of individual airline Ops Manual reqd.

TURIN
21st Jul 2004, 21:08
If the APU is already running, no problem. Fuelling may begin.
If fuelling has already begun then the APU may not be started.
This is standard procedure at many airports and in my experience is to do with airport procedures, not the aircraft manufacturer's procedures.

Although I could be wrong......:confused:

mcdhu
26th Jul 2004, 10:34
Thank you, guys for your replies.

To summarize:

It appears that there is no technical reason why we should not start the Apu during refuelling.

The airport authorities may have a different idea about this.

So far, we have not heard fron a refueller - I will ask the next refueller I come across who is open to conversation!

Cheers all,
mcdhu

TURIN
26th Jul 2004, 17:46
There is a technical reason of sorts,

When refuelling it is accepted that there could be a substantial amount of fuel vapour hanging around (venting from the tanks). If you start the APU then there is a very minor risk of ignition.:ok:

mainwheel
27th Jul 2004, 13:50
All equipment being grounded and therefore equal, I can't see a problem. Have never seen anything to say you can't.

Could be wrong? Probably am.

Daysleeper
29th Jul 2004, 10:46
Vauge memories something to do with if the apu exhausts into the "fuelling zone" then you shouldent start or stop during fuelling. If you get a hot start on your APU then you could fry the tanker. However these days with some verrrrry long aircraft the APU is in the next time zone so I dont see what the problem would be on say A340-600s.