PDA

View Full Version : Ctc Atp Scheme

flyingoli
20th Jul 2004, 06:57
Hello,
I'm looking for info's over writing test of the phase 2 selection. Type of tests, type of questions, Multiple choice or writing answer...?
Thank you in advance.
Flying Oli:cool:

clearfortheoption
20th Jul 2004, 10:39
Hi Flyingoli,

Type of questions :

Performance and POF.Not as hard as the ATPLs and the time pressure is not an issue.

Some Qs on AERAD plates,again very basic .

You will find about 70% of the answers to the tech paper in the book Handling the big jets.

They are multiple choice with 3 options.

The math paper is not hard at all,very basic math with 15 Qs in 15 mins ,also multiple choice.

Best of luck everyone.

CFTO:cool:

flyingoli
20th Jul 2004, 21:04
Thank you for the answer cfo,

Just to be sure the math Qs is more like 12.754/520 or more like (a²/B²*²)/cdxz... :confused: If you can give an example, it would be helpful for me.
Thank you again:ok:
Flying Oli:cool:

Superfly
20th Jul 2004, 22:26
FlyingOli,

It's more like the second example.
The most complicated one I remember of was something like 9X + 6Y = 3 + 9X
define Y. Nothing to be worried about . All the rest was very simple mental calculation.

Good Luck :ok: SF

pilotFRA
21st Jul 2004, 07:38
Sorry, but what do you mean with "POF"? We don't have this expression at German flight schools. After searching through different threats I can guess something like Aerodynamics, Jet Engines or IFR Flight Procedures ("Procedures of Flight")...?

Thanx for your brief answer!
pilotFRA

clearfortheoption
21st Jul 2004, 09:07
pilotFRA,

POF= Principles of flight,some schools call it Theory of flight.

Hope it helps.

CFTO

captyous
21st Jul 2004, 10:19
SF,

Hiya mate,

found the info that you put on here very useful, wandering wat kinda tech question and performance questions did u get in the phase 2??

pilotFRA
22nd Jul 2004, 08:27
@ CFTO

Thanks for the answer, I understand it's more like aerodynamics.

pilotFRA :ok:

fiftycent
23rd Jul 2004, 09:51
Yeah Yeah..wassup,

Just beware, after you are successful with the ATP scheme selection - no doubt. You will be in for financial hell. Just m,ake sure you will have adequate finances to carry you through your 6 month internship.

I know of ATP cadets currently flying online scrapeing pennies off the floor to just to buy a loaf of bread. Remember..you could be based away from home. Your magical allowance of 800 squid plus flight pay will barely cover...

1. Visting home to see the G/F (Car repairs...petrol)
2. Rent
3. Food/Alcohol/clothes
4. council Taxes
5. Loan and Credit Card repayments

I just want to advise you on what you could face from a financial point of view as this is easily overlooked.

It is a great opportunity and nothing beats cruising in an airliner at 35000 feet. Its off da hook ..and I wouldn't do anything else.. for real.

Good luck with the Phases and it keep tight.

Louis Euan
2nd Aug 2004, 17:56
Sorry to butt in on this thread but I was wondering whether anyone had gone through the AQC course at ctc and had any info on this. I wanted to try and get a head start on the course. Any advance knowledge has to help.
Cheers

Pilot Pete
3rd Aug 2004, 01:06
fiftycent

What you appear to misunderstand is the principle of what the ATP Scheme gives the individual, which, compared to the alternative, is much better.

1. A jet type rating.
2. £800 (ish) per month.
3. Full S/O or F/O wage after the six months, which will be a significant wage, pobably above many thousands of hour turbo-prop F/Os wages.
4. 99.99% of a job at the end of the six months.
5. If no job at the end of the six months then at least a jet type rating with a few hundred hours experience on it.

So, consider the alternative for a 170hr wonder kid.

1. No job and no replies to CVs.
2. An FI rating for probably about the same money per month.
3. A small chance of being picked up by a carrier.
4. An even smaller chance of being picked up by any of the carriers using CTC.
5. Having to pay to build more hours, but in reality making little headway as you can't afford to get 'hundreds' of hours (which is about the minimum to be of real value).

So don't knock it unless you understand it. Sure the guys doing their six months with expenses only will be having a tough time, but those who aren't on the scheme with similar hours will probably be having a tougher time.

PP

TRon
3rd Aug 2004, 06:16
Once again Pilot Pete has hit the nail on the head.

I think what many lose sight of is the fact that somewhere along the line someone had to pay for said 'ATP Cadet'

Very few airlines now dont bond you or ask you to make a contribution or even pay for your own type rating. Even DHL who 'pay' for your rating have you on reduced salary for two years. That is 26k for 2 years and then up to 40k, and you are bonded for your type rating during this period.

With the ATP scheme as PP Points out you go straight onto full salary after your 6 months is up. Often this puts you out 14k in wages you would have got, if you could find a jet operator who would take on a low hour guy and pay him from the outset as well as pay his/her type rating. Happens I know, but rare as rocking horse $hit. So the AQC cost net 4k(They give you 2k back), all in all it has 'cost' you around 18k which is about what a type rating is with the only cash changing hands at the AQC Stage.

The allowance is around 1k a month and is net (i.e. after tax) so is about the equivilant of getting 16k a year. Not that bad in the grand scheme of things. Emerald pay new entrants less than that, after taking money for your Type Rating and I dont hear many bitching about that!

Going straight onto a jet is quite rare and the more likely path is onto a Turbo Prop or instructing. So the money is a bit tight for the first six months for everyone starting out, but this helps you climb into a jet 3-4 years earlier than you would do had you followed the more traditional routes. All for an initial risk and outlay.

Lets not forget people are still paying upwards of 50k to get just a type rating and 200 hours on type, and 20k for a type rating with no hope of a job. I would say the experience far outweighs any financial reward, which incidentally you will get after you have proven yourself worthy.

At the end of the day, if you cant live with not being paid much for the first 6 months then dont apply, but I would say now is the ideal time to apply as another major UK Operator is about to take 10 ATP cadets at the end of August flushing out the pool yet again.

chrislikesblue
3rd Aug 2004, 08:42
So how do we apply on that schemme?What is their website or address to write to them?

TRon
3rd Aug 2004, 09:26
http://www.ctcaviation.com

Click on Pilot Services and then ATP Scheme.

Application form is a monster!!

pilotFRA
29th Sep 2004, 14:41
Sorry, pilots, need to ask once more... Does PoF include matters like Electronics, Radio and Instruments? Thanks for your help!

pilotFRA

WX Man
29th Sep 2004, 17:11
Errr, you do have a frozen ATPL do you? You need one to apply to the ATP scheme....

PoF is stuff like:

-Climbing at constant Mach no., what happens to your angle of attack?

-What happens to the CoG of an a/c as fuel is burned from a tank forward of the CoP?

etc etc.

Electrics and Instruments aren't PoF, as far as I can remember.

pilotFRA
30th Sep 2004, 05:51
Thanks, that's exactly the information I needed. It's just that we don't have that expression (PoF) in Germany.

pilotFRA :ok: